2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
March 11, 2018, 9:08pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I know there's numerous threads regarding yesterday's performance but I thought young Harry Clifton deserved a thread of his own. I thought he was terrific yesterday, but his energy, work rate, positional discipline, and strength, and passing were all excellent, and he was also very unlucky not to score with a terrific effort from distance

. The one who thing that stood out for me though on top of all that was his maturity and leadership qualities. He was constantly talking to his team mates, encouraging and geeing up the crowd. One thing I didn't notice until watching the game back was directly after the goal, and whilst everyone was rightly celebrating, he was gesturing for the players to calm down and settle.... Not what you'd expect from someone so young only making his third first team start.

I genuinly believe he can be a real asset should he be given a run in the side and displayed many of the qualities you would look for in a future captain. I'd love Clifton to become a regular in his hometown club, and I providing he continues to earn it obviously. Its great to see a homegrown talent shining and not shrinking under the pressure of a relegation battle.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
March 11, 2018, 9:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I'm glad Jolley wasn't afraid to play him.

It must have been so easy to not give a young lad only his second start in your first game in charge - especially given the enormity of the game.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
ginnywings
March 11, 2018, 9:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
He was one of the bright sparks, that's for sure. He also has his heart definitely in the fight, and that can count for more than anything in the situation we are in. Watching the game yesterday, i said that if we had 9 more like him and Macca, i would be a lot more confident of staying up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Tommy
March 11, 2018, 9:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Think Jolley is happy with him too.

Positive about him in the post match interview, and while he was applauding the Findus Stand immediately after the game he made a point of pointing to Clifton and directing some applause his way.

I maintain I'd like to see Harry in central midfield now. If we were to go with the same shape as yesterday at Lincoln, we could put Harry in the middle and bring DJ or Kelly into the role Clifton played yesterday.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
TAGG
March 11, 2018, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
Great energy.
Would love to see him in CM though.

Another young lad who seems to be doing well
http://www.gtfcacademy.com/news/loan-watch-max-wright-2212870.html

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
dapperz fun pub
March 11, 2018, 10:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Clifton already breaking the lines of the opposition with intelligent runs but his team mates aren't quite seeing it , Harry should have been playing much earlier in the season it was obvious to anybody who half understood football he was ready but not to that flipping idiot Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Grantley
March 11, 2018, 10:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
He looks a real player and an old head for someone so young. My only fear is that he gets walked all over by Lincoln next week! They’ll look to target him, should he play.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
dapperz fun pub
March 11, 2018, 10:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Grantley
He looks a real player and an old head for someone so young. My only fear is that he gets walked all over by Lincoln next week! They’ll look to target him, should he play.

He will be solid don't worry about that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
toontown
March 11, 2018, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,158
Gold Stars: 69
to repeat what has been said above and to add that he should very clearly have been playing earlier in the season as he is so clearly a better option than those who have been playing ahead of him. Demonstrates Slade's absolutely godawful judgment of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Mrs Doyle
March 12, 2018, 4:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Harry can look after himself and his teammates look after him we have some other good young players in the academy willing to give it a go as well. This will give Jolley some hope for the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.