This thread currently has 3,415 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
March 12, 2018, 12:29pm Report to Moderator

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +34 / -8
Approval: +1,896

It is interesting you say Slade had no passion.

Remember his first game in charge against Cambridge last season? Punching the air, saluting the crowd after a pretty routine win. The same this season at the first game at Chesterfield. He showed a lot of passion. An awful lot of managers show a lot of passion early doors, but as the reality sinks in that the club has no ambition, no investment, no new stadium and a God awful board of directors I think apathy/reality sinks in.

I hope Jolly can break the mould, and take the club by the scruff of the neck and be some sort of catalyst for improvement in all areas.

I really hope we can stay up; if we don't it doesn't bear thinking about.

I don't see how you can say this when a director publicly stated he wanted us knocking on the door of the Championship in 5 years. As far as the ground is concerned it's the Board and JF who want this but the council seem to be holding us back. Also a lot of posters on this site don't want us to leave BP but would rather we " develop " it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
March 12, 2018, 12:48pm Report to Moderator
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +20 / -2
Approval: +4,356
Quoted from rancido

I don't see how you can say this when a director publicly stated he wanted us knocking on the door of the Championship in 5 years. As far as the ground is concerned it's the Board and JF who want this but the council seem to be holding us back. Also a lot of posters on this site don't want us to leave BP but would rather we " develop " it.

You cannot seriously equate a director, who has virtually no input in how the club is financed, saying he wants us to be in the Championship in 5 years with a serious commitment?

There is absolutely nothing to back up his statement whatsoever. Pie in the sky. Fantasy.

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
rancido
March 12, 2018, 1:31pm Report to Moderator

Whiskey Drinker
[quote=3362]

You cannot seriously equate a director, who has virtually no input in how the club is financed, saying he wants us to be in the Championship in 5 years with a serious commitment?

There is absolutely nothing to back up his statement whatsoever. Pie in the sky. Fantasy.

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen. [/quote

I was merely responding to your statement that the club had no ambition - a director, whether he has any influence financially or not, stated that he wanted to see us progress up the football pyramid and that indicates ambition.
As far as the ground is concerned , the idea was first raised before JF's involvement in the club. BP is deteriorating due to it's age and structure. Would you rather finances were directed away from other areas of running the club just so we could throw good money after bad in maintain a rapidly declining structure. What evidence do you have that the council would even approve of any development of BP? Planning laws could easily prohibit much of a change and then you have the pressure of local inhabitants who would be quite vociferous if they thought that rather than acquire a new ground we developed BP.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
March 12, 2018, 1:56pm Report to Moderator
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from rancido
[quote=3362]

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen. [/quote

I was merely responding to your statement that the club had no ambition - a director, whether he has any influence financially or not, stated that he wanted to see us progress up the football pyramid and that indicates ambition.
As far as the ground is concerned , the idea was first raised before JF's involvement in the club. BP is deteriorating due to it's age and structure. Would you rather finances were directed away from other areas of running the club just so we could throw good money after bad in maintain a rapidly declining structure. What evidence do you have that the council would even approve of any development of BP? Planning laws could easily prohibit much of a change and then you have the pressure of local inhabitants who would be quite vociferous if they thought that rather than acquire a new ground we developed BP.

No it does not show ambition! It was a throw away comment that was ludicrous to even mention when we are staring down the barrel of relegation out of the league altogether.  Even Jolly smiled when he heard him say that.

Regarding BP obviously there is more of an argument to be had there. I did say I don't necessarily blame Fenty for the state of BP as he was hoping for a new stadium, but he will have to sort it out one way or another.

Who knows what the planners might think? The stadium has been there a long long time, so improving it shouldn't be a problem planning wise should it? As part of the improvements I would put a park and ride scheme to BP to alleviate parking issues which would be an advantage to residents.

Anyway this is all as pie in the sky as the Championship in 5 years quote because none of it will happen.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Maringer
March 12, 2018, 4:03pm Report to Moderator
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +54 / -8
Approval: +7,220
One (very minor) plus point is that the players we have available (Jones aside) are the same as those who won several games earlier in the season. In some of those, Jones was far from impressive, blowing hot and cold as he always has.

Even without him, I think we're certainly capable of winning a few games before the end of the season, especially if the loanees who have been injured for the past couple of weeks can come in and make an impact. We'll need to improve, but I think we've got it within us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Mighty_Mariner
March 12, 2018, 4:13pm Report to Moderator
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +41 / -9
Approval: +1,374
I agree. I actually think we've got some decent players and as you said, roughly the same players that got us to within goal difference of the play offs at one stage. I think they just need the right manager, wasn't always with the right system and gamelan. Hopefully Michael Jolley is that man.

I know we're in a precarious position but it's certainly not an insurmountable problem. History is littered with team that have performed badly throughout the season and a new a new manager has come in and turned them around with only games to go to stave off almost certain relegation... Jeez Sam Allardyce has made a career out of it.

Just look at Newport last season and Swansea this season for examples of just that.

IMHO, Michael Jolley will get his message across to the players and identify a system and game plan that gets the best out of them and produces results.

I may be barking mad or have my rose-tinted glasses firmly stuck to my face, but there's just something about MJ that makes me very confident that he can turn this around and have a positive end of the season.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
rancido
March 12, 2018, 7:40pm Report to Moderator

Whiskey Drinker

No it does not show ambition! It was a throw away comment that was ludicrous to even mention when we are staring down the barrel of relegation out of the league altogether.  Even Jolly smiled when he heard him say that.

Regarding BP obviously there is more of an argument to be had there. I did say I don't necessarily blame Fenty for the state of BP as he was hoping for a new stadium, but he will have to sort it out one way or another.

Who knows what the planners might think? The stadium has been there a long long time, so improving it shouldn't be a problem planning wise should it? As part of the improvements I would put a park and ride scheme to BP to alleviate parking issues which would be an advantage to residents.

Anyway this is all as pie in the sky as the Championship in 5 years quote because none of it will happen.

It makes no difference how long the ground has been there. Historical location has no bearing on what planners will allow. As an example for a start you will need planning permission to demolish the Main Stand . Then you have to replace it and probably have to keep it within it's existing skyline. You talk about " pie in the sky " but surely a Park'n'Ride scheme to service BP is just that. Where would you locate it, bearing in mind that we have fans arriving via the A180, A46, A16 and A18. In fact every direction barring from the East of the town. Is there land available for this and more importantly , is it cost effective having a Park'n'Ride scheme for approximately 26 occasions a year?
As far as promotion is concerned , 5 years in football is a long time. Two promotions in that time frame is not unreasonable to aim for as is demonstrated by our own history in the last 30 years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
March 12, 2018, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from rancido

It makes no difference how long the ground has been there. Historical location has no bearing on what planners will allow. As an example for a start you will need planning permission to demolish the Main Stand . Then you have to replace it and probably have to keep it within it's existing skyline. You talk about " pie in the sky " but surely a Park'n'Ride scheme to service BP is just that. Where would you locate it, bearing in mind that we have fans arriving via the A180, A46, A16 and A18. In fact every direction barring from the East of the town. Is there land available for this and more importantly , is it cost effective having a Park'n'Ride scheme for approximately 26 occasions a year?
As far as promotion is concerned , 5 years in football is a long time. Two promotions in that time frame is not unreasonable to aim for as is demonstrated by our own history in the last 30 years.

Surely very many grounds up and down the land have had ground improvements over the years. Some with more housing around them than Blundell park.It cannot be beyond the wit of man that solutions can be found?

As regards parking, again it is up to the club and authorities to come up with a parking area away from the stadium for a park and ride. It cannot be that difficult surely? Everything seems too difficult for GTFC though, and as I said earlier I don't know we are discussing it really cos nothing will get done.

It is conceivable we could get 2 promotions in a short time frame granted, but highly unlikely and certainly will not be achieved with  hoping for football fortune approach. Well it might, but most successful clubs plan for years to get where they are.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
arryarryarry
March 12, 2018, 9:26pm Report to Moderator
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.57
Rep Score: +25 / -19
Approval: +5,848
If I decide to come to BP on my bike instead of by car, can I leave it in someones front garden for 6d like we used to?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
rancido
March 13, 2018, 5:13pm Report to Moderator

Whiskey Drinker

Surely very many grounds up and down the land have had ground improvements over the years. Some with more housing around them than Blundell park.It cannot be beyond the wit of man that solutions can be found?

As regards parking, again it is up to the club and authorities to come up with a parking area away from the stadium for a park and ride. It cannot be that difficult surely? Everything seems too difficult for GTFC though, and as I said earlier I don't know we are discussing it really cos nothing will get done.

It is conceivable we could get 2 promotions in a short time frame granted, but highly unlikely and certainly will not be achieved with  hoping for football fortune approach. Well it might, but most successful clubs plan for years to get where they are.

You forget we are dealing with N E Lincs council here. Every ground is different in it's location so it's not as clear cut as you make out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We can lose every game and still stay up

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.