Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 112 Guests

Are we expecting too much ?

This thread currently has 5,043 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
March 9, 2018, 8:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It's much more about hope rather than expectation for me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2018, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Bigdog
It's much more about hope rather than expectation for me..

Agree with Bigdog, to lift the confidence of the team especially the strikers in what in reality is 4 days is a massive task.

A 0 - 0 may not be a popular result but it would be an improvement on recent weeks.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
McAllisters Ghost
March 9, 2018, 8:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from rancido

So if their contracts are up surely that would be motivation enough to impress a new manager otherwise they will be unemployed in the summer.

That's why I was mentioning character.  

I agree with you in that I would hope it would be enough motivation - and it certainly would be if it was my job on the line, but from some of what we have seen I'm not sure all the players are as conscientious as yourself.  

As has been mentioned on here already with players laughing at Cambridge after we lost - some seem to not be putting in the effort or don't have the fight in them or the worry about our plight as they won't be here in the summer and would get another contract somewhere in the league.

I think it speaks volumes about some of the players we have now in the building, against the players that we have let go (Disley, Pearson, etc.) and in the sides we had under Hurst who certainly had that pride, conscientiousness and drive.

Its going to be interesting to see if MJ can motivate the players who he feels haven't or aren't putting in the effort or whether he thinks he would get more out of the loan players.  

I don't want the above to sound all doom and gloom as I don't think it is.  

I do feel that there is a good 14 or 15 players in our current squad that would have the attitude and capability of getting us out of this current situation.  I just don't think we've been playing what would be our strongest squad and we've generally been carrying some players who have been anonymous and I'm hoping that coming in from the outside, with new ideas that MJ will offer something different.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
sydney
March 9, 2018, 9:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
This is a bigger game than bees and Chesterfield
And Gimps
This is “The” must win game
Come On Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2018, 10:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from sydney
This is a bigger game than bees and Chesterfield
And Gimps
This is “The” must win game
Come On Town!!

I think the biggest game this season is the next one. And then the one after that. and so on until the last one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2018, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from rancido

So if their contracts are up surely that would be motivation enough to impress a new manager otherwise they will be unemployed in the summer.

Nah not really,  out of the players who’s deals run out most of them will be pretty confident of finding work next season and I doubt that any are that bothered about whether it’s with GTFC, in the EFL or playing in some minor footballing nation.

Most of them if not all don’t have roots in the Town and many have networks well away from NEL so they have options in terms of where a new employer could be. Many are loanees so will just go back to their clubs.

This is not a pop at Town players but just the “fixed term contract” life of lower league footballer. Bowman worked brilliantly for the highest levels but completely fuked up lower league and semi pro.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Mrs Doyle
March 10, 2018, 7:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
For me the final TEN GAMES ARE ALL MASSIVE.

This will show us and Mike Jolley who has the character and wants to do battle for GTFC.

Yeah, not many are local but that is the same for most teams you become one of us when you put that shirt on. It's the sign of any professional no matter what level he will run through walls for the cause just like our promotion team did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
oldun
March 10, 2018, 10:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Be positive all the remaining games are winnable. That is not the same as saying we will win them all but if players have the mindset that they cannot win a game, they probably won't. I hope MJ reminds them of the games they won earlier in the season and what winning and scoring goals felt like. This will help get their minds in the right place and build confidence. As someone else said we are not playing Barcelona and the fans should help lift the spirits too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
TAGG
March 10, 2018, 11:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 123
Slade is such a bad manager/coach that now he's gone maybe we will see something from the players we have never seen before 🤞
Ye never know under all that dross there my be a couple of half decent players.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
TownSNAFU5
March 10, 2018, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,832
Gold Stars: 42
It is not just lower-league mercenaries.  PSG players are highly-paid mercenaries.  Out for their own ends above the team.  They appeared to be disinterested in overcoming Real Madrid in the second leg (where had had won all 19 home games this season).  

It was reported that the front 3 only made 2 passes all game to the other 2 forward players.  Mbappe only had to square the ball to Cavanni for a goal.  Instead he shot wide from an acute angle. No wonder Cavanni did not pass to either of his "colleagues".    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.