Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 207 Guests

Are we expecting too much ?

This thread currently has 5,056 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
McAllisters Ghost
March 9, 2018, 5:47pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from Les Brechin

This was the line up that game.

1 McKeown
    2 Davies
    5 Clarke
    6 Collins
    3 Dixon
    27 Dembele (Substituted fo rMills at 89' minutes)
    19 Summerfield
    10 Jones (Substituted for Matt at 80' minutes)
    25 Woolford
    21 Vernon (Substituted for Rose at 80' minutes)
    7 Berrett

Damn, so essentially we won playing at least 2 players short then (perm any 2 from Woolford, Berrett, Dixon, Vernon)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
ska face
March 9, 2018, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,615
Gold Stars: 840
I often think we’ve not been expecting enough of the squad and, to be frank, some of these have got away with murder this year as Slade and Fenty have taken the brunt of the fans’ anger.

The absolute, complete and utter minimum we should be expecting is a squad of players putting 100% in and running themselves into the ground for 90 minutes each week. There are some who walk off down the tunnel who have barely broken a sweat and don’t have a spot of mud on their kits. Absolute basics like following your man at set plays - Carlisle were queuing up unmarked to nod that second in last week and our lot were stood with their hands on their hips. It’s not been good enough by a long stretch. Some play like they’re undroppable - mainly because that’s been the case this year b

There’s a reason cup upsets happen and that’s generally because teams turn up, are organised and play as if their lives depend on it.

I’m not expecting the centre halves to start spraying 60-yard pinpoint passes or the forwards to suddenly beat 4 men and lash one into the top corner - but I am expecting Jolley to have put a fire under their arses and see an upturn in concentration and effort from a team that have put us in this position.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
grimsby pete
March 9, 2018, 7:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I am not expecting too much,

If you look at the 10 games 4 or 5 are winnable 2 others we could get a draw,

SO 4 WINS =12PTS  +2 DRAWS =  14 Points in total,

50 points  will be enough to stay up.

We are going to have a Jolley good time BELIEVE  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Teestogreen
March 9, 2018, 7:09pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
YES                               - there is a 'lot of moulding' to be done to get this team winning.

I'm hoping that this can happen in the last 5 games of the season - to inject confidence in to next season.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Cloudy
March 9, 2018, 7:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
People across social media seem to be forgetting we have the most imbalanced square had in the history of football.

Great to see a proper left back rather than having a square peg in a round hole BUT nobody would have been excited had we signed Fox in pre season.  A handful of games at Stevenage before getting binned. Hope the lad does well, at least he will give us bad lance
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
rancido
March 9, 2018, 7:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
I don't think it's expecting too much for us to beat a team at BP who are below us in a very poor league. With a new man at the helm some of these "underperforming" players could view the remainder of the season as an opportunity to play for a new contract. As far as the loan players are concerned, I don't think Jolley will utilise them very much unless he really has to. He will be using every opportunity to appraise his signed squad and he knows that the loan players will return to their parent clubs. Therefore unless they become permanently available in the summer and figure in his long term plans, it would be pointless giving them much game time unless absolutely necessary.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
McAllisters Ghost
March 9, 2018, 7:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from rancido
I don't think it's expecting too much for us to beat a team at BP who are below us in a very poor league. With a new man at the helm some of these "underperforming" players could view the remainder of the season as an opportunity to play for a new contract. As far as the loan players are concerned, I don't think Jolley will utilise them very much unless he really has to. He will be using every opportunity to appraise his signed squad and he knows that the loan players will return to their parent clubs. Therefore unless they become permanently available in the summer and figure in his long term plans, it would be pointless giving them much game time unless absolutely necessary.

Not sure it'll make much difference Rancido. Aren't most of the signed squad gone by the summer anyway, and we're left with 4 or 5 players?  Part of whether he can motivate them I think will also come down to their character and whether they already have an eye on the exit door.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
rancido
March 9, 2018, 7:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from McAllisters Ghost

Not sure it'll make much difference Rancido. Aren't most of the signed squad gone by the summer anyway, and we're left with 4 or 5 players?  Part of whether he can motivate them I think will also come down to their character and whether they already have an eye on the exit door.

So if their contracts are up surely that would be motivation enough to impress a new manager otherwise they will be unemployed in the summer.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Mrs Doyle
March 9, 2018, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
At some point, we must win a game-best be positive and not nervous wrecks, fortune favours the brave and all that lot.

We can either go down with a wimp or fight for every ball and give ourselves a chance. Ten cup finals await us we need battlers for the task ahead it's up to the players and the fans to show Jolly what GTFC is all about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
H19P1
March 9, 2018, 8:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
I for one is ready for battle tomorrow. Let it commence, we will not be defeated. Every fan stand together and be that 12th man. MJ you've joined the family of all families, we welcome you and your family👍👊💪👌⚽

UTFM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.