rancido
March 8, 2018, 7:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from grimps
For as long as Fenty has been here we've always bought the dregs of the transfer windows and whats left at the end of the Preseason , [b][/b]Can anyone else rememember a time when we used to recruit early and get a better quality of player ?
If you look at our best players over the last few years , Bogle ect they was targetted early because the manager felt they was the missing piece of the jigsaw.

I always thought it was the managers who identified the players required. Didn't realise it was Fenty who found all these players last summer and there's silly me blaming Slade!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 8, 2018, 8:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

I always thought it was the managers who identified the players required. Didn't realise it was Fenty who found all these players last summer and there's silly me blaming Slade!

Fenty sets the budget so effectively he is responsible. A manager has a list in preference order and when he gets priced out of one he moves to the next. Pretty obvious that last summer Slade was a long way down his list before he found players he could afford.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
grimsby pete
March 8, 2018, 8:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from moosey_club

Do you think we can afford that type of player ? Premier League club 21 yr old ....i would imagine that may be stretching our wage structure.

I was thinking of a season loan like Dyson from Everton,

Or a player that have been released they are not all on big bucks.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
March 8, 2018, 9:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

Do you think we can afford that type of player ? Premier League club 21 yr old ....i would imagine that may be stretching our wage structure.

Yeah, our budget was £2m last season which isn't great but if we keep our squad size to sensible numbers by signing players that actually have some ability instead of clowns then we should be able to compete. If they have been released by Prem / Championship clubs then they probably won't have many first team games behind them and will be looking for a chance to impress. Character at least as important as ability and physical attributes so that's where you do your homework.
Reply: 13 - 18
rancido
March 9, 2018, 2:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92

Fenty sets the budget so effectively he is responsible. A manager has a list in preference order and when he gets priced out of one he moves to the next. Pretty obvious that last summer Slade was a long way down his list before he found players he could afford.

Why is that obvious? It could be that some of the players might not have wanted to come here or didn't want to play under Slade. Also the wage of 4 dross players like Kelly, Woolford, Hooper and Dixon could have funded two quality players. I would have used the wages of all four to fund one decent left-back as let's face it we wouldn't have been any worse off , points wise, without Woolford, Kelly or Hooper. Why bring in Clarke when we could have kept Pearson who I'm sure would have been on less money.
It's easy to blame Fenty because he sets the budget but Slade wasted that budget on bench warmers he didn't have to sign. I would imagine that one of the questions Jolley would have asked at his interview would have involved his playing budget. Obviously he is quite confident of working within that and achieving success so why couldn't Slade? Like I said on another post I will blame JF for a lot that has gone wrong at this club but our present predicament is down to one man and one man only - Russell Slade.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Maringer
March 9, 2018, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
You do sort of get the feeling that Dyche is the type of manager who would like to see his younger players blooded in League football in the lower divisions. Problem is, that they are more likely to ship such players out to Accrington/Morecambe/Bury/Fleetwood etc so they can keep a closer eye on them and they aren't so far from home.

The fact that Jolley is here might make some difference, but we're still across on the other side of the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 9, 2018, 3:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
Less is more....less players and better quality of player. That's one thing I liked about both Buckley and hurst's squad.

Ok some of the loan players that both got in weren't what was expected, but some, players were absolute master strokes. Always thought, as many have said also, that having Buckley (or similar) as a scout would be a good idea. Do we have links to a scouting network at all?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Mrs Doyle
March 9, 2018, 4:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Be interesting just to see the change or reaction of the players we already have here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 9, 2018, 4:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Be interesting just to see the change or reaction of the players we already have here.

Think this is a major factor. In pub last night with load of Gimp fans and I observed that not sure Pep or Jose could do much with our squad but that said we did win games prior to Christmas albeit whilst Jones was still a regular.

Big question is how does having a slow back four limit our attacking ability and the opportunity for the midfield to get further forward and hopefully either create chances or, heaven forbid, score themselves. Thus will the lad from Villa get a chance? Will he change the midfield? And can he suddenly find a striker who can stick it in the net?

Maybe tough ask for too much change tomorrow but time is running out so something has to change and quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.