grimps
March 8, 2018, 1:02pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
For as long as Fenty has been here we've always bought the dregs of the transfer windows and whats left at the end of the Preseason , Can anyone else rememember a time when we used to recruit early and get a better quality of player ?
If you look at our best players over the last few years , Bogle ect they was targetted early because the manager felt they was the missing piece of the jigsaw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chelseacity
March 8, 2018, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +355
Gold Stars: 9
I would say Alan Buckley brought in many players that proved to be super footballers, he certainly had an eye for quality & he did not get it wrong many times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Rodley Mariner
March 8, 2018, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I bet you'd be surprised with how many he got wrong but to an extent it didn't matter as he got the other ones very right. In my head we played pretty much the same 11 every week in 89/90. The other thing is we offered more than 1 year contracts then so it wasn't a rebuild job every season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
grimps
March 8, 2018, 1:49pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I bet you'd be surprised with how many he got wrong but to an extent it didn't matter as he got the other ones very right. In my head we played pretty much the same 11 every week in 89/90. The other thing is we offered more than 1 year contracts then so it wasn't a rebuild job every season.

We always knew our team if everyone was fit , the players that came in and covered also seemed not to mind being out the first team and always did a good job when their time came.
I seem to remember Buckley buying Childs and Rees ect during the season , not end of summer cast offs that we seem to get now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 8, 2018, 1:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

That has been true of most of our best teams, also of most of our worst ones! Remember all those contracts Newell did that had to be paid off? Maybe times have changed though.

The disappointment for me has been the quality and staying power of the young loanees. We seem to get that more wrong than right especially in the past 2-3 seasons. We need to look for better ones who will make an impact long term, even if we have to pay for the privilege. I mean players who are on the fringe of the first team at Championship/L1, not kids who are never likely to make it. Mr Wilks looked about  the most promising, pity about the injury. DJ could be a decent player in a side that isn't struggling.

Dembele has flattered to deceive but again, he needs to be in a side doing well and wanting to play in the final third.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
devs
March 8, 2018, 2:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
We get the 'dregs' because we cannot compete with the money being offered at the start of the recruitment process
You have to remember that GTFC was a major force and a very attractive proposition 20-30 years ago - but not now

Geography is a huge factor - Dave Roberts' excellent article on Cod Almighty is evidence of that; players simply don;t fancy a move to north east Lincs

That's why the YDA idea is a must IMO and I also feel a manager like Jolley will be more intuitive and open to non league players, youth players, foreign players

Hurst was great at finding/attracting some real gems - Macca, Pearson, Toto, Amond, Bogle (and I know someone will point out the poor ones - but how often does anymanager get it right 100%?)

Feel confident Jolley will be more 'left field' and innovative in finding new players for next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
ginnywings
March 8, 2018, 3:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
We can't afford/won't pay for the better league players, so we get the dregs. Much better to recruit from below- something i have been saying for ages, but people at the club seem to think we are the side we once were, and we most certainly aint. You can pick up good league players like Dis, but most of our recent better players have been from non league. I know we were in non league at the time, but i think most of them would still have done a job for us this season, certainly a better one than the players we have now. Academy players from clubs higher up the leagues obviously have talent, but players from the lower reaches come with game experience and a desire to climb the ladder. How many players did the Cowley's bring with them from below?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Cloudy
March 8, 2018, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
We can't afford/won't pay for the better league players, so we get the dregs. Much better to recruit from below- something i have been saying for ages, but people at the club seem to think we are the side we once were, and we most certainly aint. You can pick up good league players like Dis, but most of our recent better players have been from non league. I know we were in non league at the time, but i think most of them would still have done a job for us this season, certainly a better one than the players we have now. Academy players from clubs higher up the leagues obviously have talent, but players from the lower reaches come with game experience and a desire to climb the ladder. How many players did the Cowley's bring with them from below?

Myself and others have a preferred option of five or six experienced pros with the right attitude and then promising youngsters who haven't quite made the top two tier sides first team.

The experienced guys must have the right attitude and be natural leaders. Look for former captains who are on the way down. These are likely to have the attributes we require.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
grimsby pete
March 8, 2018, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am sure Michael knows a few under 23 players at Burnley and the like,

I expect we might get 2 or 3 in the summer if we are still in the league,

What am I saying ?

Of course we will still be in the league.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
moosey_club
March 8, 2018, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am sure Michael knows a few under 23 players at Burnley and the like,

I expect we might get 2 or 3 in the summer if we are still in the league,

What am I saying ?

Of course we will still be in the league.

Do you think we can afford that type of player ? Premier League club 21 yr old ....i would imagine that may be stretching our wage structure.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our recruitment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.