Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 206 Guests

Russell Slade - What went wrong?

This thread currently has 8,669 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Eastendmariner
March 6, 2018, 10:11pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22

Glad to see the back off Him It got that bad we had Town Fan's nearly coming to blows in the Stands 6 years of  stress, hard work, toil, sweat and nearly men in Trying to get bout of the tin pot  Conference.
WASTED
TACTICS out date ,Team selection Poor, Players he brought in would struggle to get in my old Sunday league team. Leading by example pathetic, excuses time and time again in post match interviews instead of being honest and addressing the problems   it only took him 9 months to destroy the playing squad

This Club was one all pushing in the same direction Slade is a incompetent con man blagging his way round the Football clubs he took more pride and passion throwing his earnings away  at the bookies and he was excrement at that.

I hope he never has the opportunity to manage again and put loyal passionate supporters through the hell he has caused

GOOD RIDDANCE

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Mighty_Mariner
March 6, 2018, 10:25pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Eastendmariner

Glad to see the back off Him It got that bad we had Town Fan's nearly coming to blows in the Stands 6 years of  stress, hard work, toil, sweat and nearly men in Trying to get bout of the tin pot  Conference.
WASTED
TACTICS out date ,Team selection Poor, Players he brought in would struggle to get in my old Sunday league team. Leading by example pathetic, excuses time and time again in post match interviews instead of being honest and addressing the problems   it only took him 9 months to destroy the playing squad

This Club was one all pushing in the same direction Slade is a incompetent con man blagging his way round the Football clubs he took more pride and passion throwing his earnings away  at the bookies and he was excrement at that.

I hope he never has the opportunity to manage again and put loyal passionate supporters through the hell he has caused

GOOD RIDDANCE

So what's the message?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
RonMariner
March 7, 2018, 12:03am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
Slade was forced to substantially revamp the squad but his player recruitment was a disaster.

Hurst had allowed the likes of Amond, Toto, Nolan, and Arnold to go, and recruited Berrett and Sumerfield after they had help take York down. Then Bignot swamped the  squad with almost a dozen midfield players resulting in a large,  unbalanced, and expensive but ineffective group of players

Accordingly its possible that part of his brief was probably to slash the wage bill, even if that meant getting rid of some of the better players. If so that counts as the worst possible false economy and may partly have been sanctioned to cover the cost of paying off Bignot.

Once the rot had set in he simply did not have the right team selections, motivational skills or tactics needed to get results.

The January transfer window was a fiasco.

In the final analysis he was simply not up to the job.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
Mrs Doyle
March 7, 2018, 4:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Slades percentage game just does not work anymore. Admittedly he stopped us getting hammered like we did under Bigclot but his luck also ran out.

The players he had were ordinary, to say the least, but then to urine players off and get rid of the best although instructed to do so did not help.

He started with a big squad that he never really got to grips with, many were just cast aside and forgotten the toxic atmosphere, for instance, forced Osborne away I am sure of that.

He came here desperate to resurrect his managerial career and ended up with the great Grimsby Town F.C. managers graveyard lol he's in honored company a lot of managers over the years here and away has fell foul to the dreaded CURSE.

There are so many reasons why it failed but nobody came out of this smelling of roses.

I never hated Slade and I know Fenty was his friend but the desperation appointment backfired on Slade and GTFC.

For those like myself that never forgave him the first time around KARMA kicked the good luck door shut good and proper and got him in the end.

Be very lucky to stay in league football now but he has a few bob no doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
pen penfras
March 7, 2018, 7:27am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
I feel sorry for RS in a way. He inherited an oversized squad and I feel Bignot signed a few players who had some talent but bad attitudes. The other players in the squad were Hurst's hard working pros, but without Bogle that squad would have been in trouble last season. Slade seemed to favour the same style of player as Hurst, hard working and professional that get on with it. This left us with pretty much Hurst's team without Bogle's goals.

His recruitment was poor. I think a combination of having spent the last few years at a higher level and not knowing the lower league market any more, and going after a marquee signing like Maynard wasted too much time and didn't have many options left. He also signed too many players and I think it was impossible to keep a squad that big happy and playing for him.

I don't think the style of football or his methods being dated is as big an issue as being made out. Notts County play percentage football and hoof it, but they have players good enough to get results with it. We don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
Swansea_Mariner
March 7, 2018, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
I never wanted him back his career was clearly in freefall. Player recruitment was abysmal, look at his number one target Maynard not one goal this season pfft.

The writing was on the wall from preseason and I thought it telling that we played no games against teams  close to our level but instead opted for a couple of games up the pyramid and then loads of games against teams several levels down. A much more robust preseason against conference +north/south sides would have obviously found us out too early in Slades mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 7, 2018, 8:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Eastendmariner

WASTED

GOOD RIDDANCE

So he did that deliberately? Nobody would last 5 minutes in football if they were truly as bad as your diatribe makes out. Like Rodley says, there are clubs where they think he’s an OK bloke and manager. So he didn’t fit in at Grimsby, so what?  Criticise by all means but use a bit of common. It takes 2 to tango and Slade had his partner at the club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
chicaneuk
March 7, 2018, 8:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Slades percentage game just does not work anymore. Admittedly he stopped us getting hammered like we did under Bigclot but his luck also ran out.

What's worse though - some wins, but an occasional hammering? Or consistent mediocrity. I think I'd take the occasional hammering in exchange for some actual wins from time to time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
barralad
March 7, 2018, 9:19am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from chicaneuk

What's worse though - some wins, but an occasional hammering? Or consistent mediocrity. I think I'd take the occasional hammering in exchange for some actual wins from time to time.

What you describe there is in effect what Bignot gave us but  not many of us forgave Bignot's 5-1 defeat at home to Donny (which was probably the final straw for the board).

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 7, 2018, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chicaneuk

The percentage game does work. Ask Hurst. He's using it now, just the same as he did here. How well it works is like any other tactic, it depends in the players you've got. If it had worked for Slade and we had picked up five or six 1-0 wins on the trot in boring games and were in a playoff spot, would that be consistent mediocrity or promotion form? I'm all for the Buckley/Clough game but results matter more than flowing football.

It all depends on how you look at it. To my mind, what got Slade the bullet was not the fans or Matt Dean or any of that stuff, it was simply the failure to sign someone who could score a few goals, and I mean a few. Probably 10 goals and we would likely have been in good position for the playoffs.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.