Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 309 Guests

Russell Slade - What went wrong?

This thread currently has 8,673 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 6, 2018, 7:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm no fan but he did a good job at Yeovil and Brighton - there must have been something there at some point. The thing that jarred most with me this time was the continued bullshit about 'building something' when it was utterly blatant to anybody that anything but was happening with an ageing defence and mountains of inexperienced loanees. When he lost count of how many loanees he had it pretty much summed it up.

I agree with that Rodders. There were clearly things that fans still know nothing about that had gone on during the appointment process because even Slade would not have signed such players if he could have afforded better ones. We could tell by the long gaps between signings that his targets were going to other clubs and he was having to lower his sights. Whether that was simply a low budget or it was made worse by the size of the Bignot squad, it beggars belief that an experienced manager with wide contacts would willingly settle for the quality he signed. There has to be more to it than just Slade’s judgment of players.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2018, 7:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Football had moved on but Russell was still stuck in the chalkboard and projector era.

Modern attacking football is now what's successful and I'm afraid slade was to negative and his way of football is 10 years out of date.

What do you mean? He got that young lad to do him a PowerPoint.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2018, 7:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am not being funny but I think his age caught up with him,

Some managers can still do a good job into their 70's,

In Slades case he lost the plot at a much earlier age,

He could not remember how many loan players he had brought in,

When he did sign players after looking at them on trial for weeks he did not play them much but they had 2 year contracts,

He knew of only one way to play and always reverted back to his long ball on the occassions he did try and play in on the ground.

I hope he enjoys his retirment because I do not think he will find another job in football,

In one way I am hoping he gets one more chance soon,

Then he can take Clarke and a couple of others off our hands.

He forgot that he'd arranged for Woodhouse to come in for some coaching tips and then blamed Matt Dean.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Cloudy
March 6, 2018, 7:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I think his hunger, work ethic and eye for a player had gone!

He left the training and coaching to others ( at least Newell said from day one he wasn't a coach!). The failure of strikers to score goals is well documented but I'd also add that the target that he really wanted was Nicky Maynard who instead went to Aberdeen.

He has managed 19 games & zero goals!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
Gaffer58
March 6, 2018, 7:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
It all started to go wrong at the fans forum, his 20 minute power point absolutely crashed his computer, it never worked again and that did him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
chaos33
March 6, 2018, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm no fan but he did a good job at Yeovil and Brighton - there must have been something there at some point. The thing that jarred most with me this time was the continued bullshit about 'building something' when it was utterly blatant to anybody that anything but was happening with an ageing defence and mountains of inexperienced loanees. When he lost count of how many loanees he had it pretty much summed it up.

This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Tommy
March 6, 2018, 9:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Some good posts recently in the thread.

As Cloudy alludes to, RS isn't a training ground Coach.

But if you rely on your ability to build a squad of players and put a team together, you come unstuck if you can't land the players you wanted. Then it becomes necessary to coach the team to play a certain way or have a tactical plan to work with what you have got. This is where RS failed in my eyes.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
Eastendmariner
March 6, 2018, 9:53pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
What went Wrong ?

well in my view nearly every thing, off loading established hungry Town regulars

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
HertsGTFC
March 6, 2018, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Death by Power Point I think. There is only so long players can sit in a porta cabin looking at a screen.

Seemed like the players where stifled by a system, roles and responsibilities and paralysed by fear which would explain a drop in confidence when things go wrong.

Coulple that with poor signings, players who didn’t want to be here, injuries at the wrong time (Macca) and negative tac tics well it could only end one way I’m afraid.

It does feel odd they that it all went wrong so quickly though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
supertown
March 6, 2018, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Thing is it isn’t even hindsight, most agreed that some of the players he offloaded were a big mistake from day 1 , particularly Pearson . What the hell did he not see that everyone else did .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.