Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 370 Guests

Russell Slade - What went wrong?

This thread currently has 8,624 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 6, 2018, 12:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Age has caught up with him. Young players probably can't relate to him, and of course he signed a load of dross. It's not all his fault- the board have to take a lot of the blame too. Employing him in the first place was a huge mistake, and one i still can't believe they decided to take. We were comfortably mid table, could have put the tea lady in charge for the rest of the season and took our time to find the right type of manager for us. I also think that there is still this belief that we are the club we once were and are trying to run before we can walk. Even at the press conference yesterday, there was talk of League 1 and the Championship in 5 years, which again smacks of fiddling while Rome burns. We could well be relegated and still be in non league in 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
denni266
March 6, 2018, 12:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
He was well past it before he came here.. all he did was turf out the better players and bring in dross.. totaly ruined a fair squad . I hope he never gets another job in football for what he did here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
ginnywings
March 6, 2018, 12:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Doubt he'll need to work again. I imagine he he's been paid a fair whack over his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
Abdul19
March 6, 2018, 1:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
In his first spell he signed players to fit a game plan, a lot of pace and power. This time he seemed to have no game plan and signed players with neither pace or power. Why? I assume he misread his stats or something.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 6, 2018, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
Poojah makes a good point,  it was the forum debacle that finally did it for everyone, players, fans et al.  Everybody lost faith in the club, manager, JF and board

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
horsforthmariner
March 6, 2018, 1:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah
For me, he lost the respect of too many people (players included I suspect) following the Matt Dean forum debacle. Here's a stat for you.

Points per game pre-forum: 1.45
Points per game post-forum: 0.31

Over the course of a season, that's the difference between finishing on 67 points versus 14.

I was relatively pro-Slade prior to that evening, we were unspectacular but were beginning to at least look fairly organised and solid. He showed though, in the heat of his rant, that he was no longer a man in control.

And we've seen time and time again at the top-level that once you've lost the dressing room you're as good as finished. My only hope is now, with fresh blood and fresh thinking at the helm, that the players quickly rediscover their steady, mid-table form.

Mediocre will keep us up for now.

This is so true. The entire Curtis Woodhouse reaction was such a bizarre over the top reaction to a pretty minor story that I think it showed something was badly wrong in the camp. I think for a lot of people (and probably some players) it was a final straw.

Too many players have completely lost form for it to be a conincidence. Hopefully jolley will make the difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
tarka
March 6, 2018, 1:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
Some interesting (and valid) points on this thread. There is no doubt that player acquisition was a major reason - the most extreme example being Dixon. His inability to deal with any kind of pace is frightening to say the least. Clarke and Collins as a pairing are too old and slow and Osbourne continually gets the wrong side of his man. We have no craft in midfield and are totally impotent in attack!

The forum just compounded the problems...the behaviour of a number of individuals that night was embarrassing, petulant and unprofessional. Whatever feelgood remained from Operation Promotion was totally lost that night.

Hopefully Jolley will be given the freedom and time to change things from top to bottom.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
FishOutOfWater
March 6, 2018, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Poojah makes a good point,  it was the forum debacle that finally did it for everyone, players, fans et al.  Everybody lost faith in the club, manager, JF and board

Except Slade..... he lost trust  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 64
1mickylyons
March 6, 2018, 1:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Poojah
For me, he lost the respect of too many people (players included I suspect) following the Matt Dean forum debacle. Here's a stat for you.

Points per game pre-forum: 1.45
Points per game post-forum: 0.31

Over the course of a season, that's the difference between finishing on 67 points versus 14.

I was relatively pro-Slade prior to that evening, we were unspectacular but were beginning to at least look fairly organised and solid. He showed though, in the heat of his rant, that he was no longer a man in control.

And we've seen time and time again at the top-level that once you've lost the dressing room you're as good as finished. My only hope is now, with fresh blood and fresh thinking at the helm, that the players quickly rediscover their steady, mid-table form.

Mediocre will keep us up for now.

I was never a Slade fan but thought him a steady if unspectacular Manager who I regarded a safe pair of hands.That night at the forum I saw him in a different light I saw him for what he really was a Schoolteacher masquerading as a football manager complete with the I AM GOD attitude. You saw the classic square pegs in round holes scenario a live radio broadcast and Slade is effin about with flipcharts and video analysis for 30 mins on why you keep all 10 men back for a corner to 100 bemused and bored fans. I said at the time I just thought that a diversion tactic to nullify the room but odd behaviour for a guy with his experience. On the night most comments went to JF and whether RS was bored or felt left out I don`t know but when they started getting stuck into MD you could see the glee in his eyes when he joined in the attack admonishing the naughty schoolboy.

In my experience guys like Slade get lucky now and again but can`t sustain it because of the massive flaws in the overall plan. Look at the age of the players he brought in vs what he let go.Look at his reluctance to give the Youth a game.Where was his public eating of humble pie upon his return to at least try and pacify those like me who had a poor opinion of him?Slade and Buckley both get accused of being dinosaurs and out of touch and this is true BUT the difference between them one is a football man who knows the game and how it should be played.Buckley was scathing of Slade for his treatment of young Clifton and anyone who heard it would have agreed with every word.Slade should never have been brought back and in a catalogue of errors over 14 years this was the easiest one to avoid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
Maringer
March 6, 2018, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Abdul19
In his first spell he signed players to fit a game plan, a lot of pace and power. This time he seemed to have no game plan and signed players with neither pace or power. Why? I assume he misread his stats or something.

I think he was trying to be clever this season as, if you remember, he was trying to get us to play a 4-2-3-1 formation throughout pre-season and also at the start of the season. Unfortunately, he couldn't get it to work, not least because most of the players he signed weren't up to the job and we didn't really have anybody capable of playing as the holding midfield two. I suppose Summerfield and a fit McAllister might have coped in this role, but that was never an opportunity. As you note, we ended up with a squad badly lacking in pace and power so the plan 'B' ended up being hit and hope to some degree, though initially with some moderate success until the wheels fell off.

What I never quite worked out with all the signings in January 2017 was that both Osborne and Jones reportedly like to play as attacking midfielders, but neither were ever played in this role for us under either Bignot or Slade! Perhaps understandable with Jones as he did a decent job up front and got his goals, but it seems very odd that Osborne was always stuck out on the wing. Maybe because his fitness was suspect last season and then, of course, he picked up his early injury this season.

If you remember, Slade attempted to play with a 3-4-3 formation when he joined the club first time around before abandoning it after the results didn't come (despite some decent football). Difference back then was that we had the pace of Reddy and Crowe, persistence of Parkinson, height of Rob Jones as well as several other decent players (Gritton, Sestanovich, Pinault) to get us through a disappointing first season before he managed to sign the likes of Gary Jones, Bolland and Cohen the next year to make us promotion contenders. Of course, his luck ran out with the next batch of signings. I still have nightmares about Mendes.

My point is, I think Slade ultimately moved to percentage football on both occasions he was at the club after earlier plans didn't work out. Difference then was that we had players good enough and with the physical attributes to play that sort of stuff. This time around, are there any other teams in the division with such a lack of height, pace and strength throughout? Little chance of a percentage based plan 'B' working with this lot. Let's hope Jolley can come up with a different plan 'B' which is effective enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.