Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Russell Slade - What went wrong?

This thread currently has 8,674 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
March 6, 2018, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Fenty re employed the clown 🤡

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
moosey_club
March 6, 2018, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

One thing that's been bugging me for a few weeks and just can't get my head around is what on earth actually happened to Russell Slade? How did he turn into such an incompetent manager? You could argue that he's had a successful managerial career, albeit not actually winning any silverware.

you have answered your own question there...he has never won anything as a League manager end of therefore, ultimately he hasnt been successful. You could argue success can only be gauged against achieving any targets he was given....well he failed miserably with the targets he was set here...play offs, smaller but better quality squad .....errr ..no and no .....and i cant imagine that he left any of his other appointments as a result of achieving his targets either.
Maybe he came close at Yeovil ,as he got them to a relatively good position before losing out, the fact he got them that close could have been seen as relative success but no one really sees losing in the play offs as being successful do they ?  

The game has moved on from the times he was seen as a good managerial prospect...i personally think he relies too much on a single star player to do the business, back at Scarborough he had Sestanovich who was undoubtedly a quality player, certainly for that level...with us he had Reddy who was again a quality player who quite literally could get a goal from virtually nothing...nowadays having a single player with quality is easy to nullify with a park the bus formation...i think Slade expected Dembele to be completely unplayable and surrounded him with mediocre players.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 6, 2018, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
He was employed with a brief - to hold the fort and steady the budget. Once again Fenty fell between two stools, ambition and safety first. Hence so many loanees and young “maybes”.

Some fans could not see that and blamed Slade for not being another sparkly young thrusting up and coming go getting coach who would get results on no money with donkeys playing like Buckleys.

On the field the one failure that would haunt Slade would be the lack of goals, his failure to sign a proper out and out striker. If the side had been winning consistently even by 1-0 he would have had no problem, play-offs would have been a cert and fans would have been happy with the situation even if they were not seeing pretty football.

But he didn’t ............. and the 1-0 became 0-0 then 0-1 etc. and that was never going to be forgiven.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
oldun
March 6, 2018, 11:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am more puzzled about what went wrong after the Mansfield game? OK we had not been playing great but we were picking up points and were in a handy place in the league. What went on between Christmas and the New Year? We will probably never know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
GrimRob
March 6, 2018, 11:19am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quality of signings for me. The ability of players is far more important than systems IMHO. PH has a great eye for a player, and probably more importantly he could persuade them to come here. Most of Slade's signings might have been good once but they are at the wrong end of their careers. He probably approached better players who turned us down, the only people he could bring in were those who probably didn't have a lot of other offers.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 64
Poojah
March 6, 2018, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
For me, he lost the respect of too many people (players included I suspect) following the Matt Dean forum debacle. Here's a stat for you.

Points per game pre-forum: 1.45
Points per game post-forum: 0.31

Over the course of a season, that's the difference between finishing on 67 points versus 14.

I was relatively pro-Slade prior to that evening, we were unspectacular but were beginning to at least look fairly organised and solid. He showed though, in the heat of his rant, that he was no longer a man in control.

And we've seen time and time again at the top-level that once you've lost the dressing room you're as good as finished. My only hope is now, with fresh blood and fresh thinking at the helm, that the players quickly rediscover their steady, mid-table form.

Mediocre will keep us up for now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
moosey_club
March 6, 2018, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
He was employed with a brief - to hold the fort and steady the budget. Once again Fenty fell between two stools, ambition and safety first. Hence so many loanees and young “maybes”.

Some fans could not see that and blamed Slade for not being another sparkly young thrusting up and coming go getting coach who would get results on no money with donkeys playing like Buckleys.

On the field the one failure that would haunt Slade would be the lack of goals, his failure to sign a proper out and out striker. If the side had been winning consistently even by 1-0 he would have had no problem, play-offs would have been a cert and fans would have been happy with the situation even if they were not seeing pretty football.

But he didn’t ............. and the 1-0 became 0-0 then 0-1 etc. and that was never going to be forgiven.

He was employed with a very clear aim of play off/ promotion this season and also to reduce the squad down to 22 senior pro's ...we ended up with not even achieving his minimum aim of 50 points , 34/35 pro's and so many loanee's we cant even include them all in the matchday squad.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
arryarryarry
March 6, 2018, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

I would agree in part, in my opinion his main problem was he signed a shed load of pretty crap players, Hooper, Kelly, Dixon, Woolford, Rose, Matt, Clarke, Osborne.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
March 6, 2018, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Poojah
For me, he lost the respect of too many people (players included I suspect) following the Matt Dean forum debacle. Here's a stat for you.

Points per game pre-forum: 1.45
Points per game post-forum: 0.31

Over the course of a season, that's the difference between finishing on 67 points versus 14.

I was relatively pro-Slade prior to that evening, we were unspectacular but were beginning to at least look fairly organised and solid. He showed though, in the heat of his rant, that he was no longer a man in control.

And we've seen time and time again at the top-level that once you've lost the dressing room you're as good as finished. My only hope is now, with fresh blood and fresh thinking at the helm, that the players quickly rediscover their steady, mid-table form.

Mediocre will keep us up for now.

I agree with that. Untold damage was done with that forum; we had found a bit of form and it seemed to give Slade and Fenty an excuse to settle some scores. They should have known a lot better and I said at the time it would come back to haunt them and so it has proved.

I also agree with Robs post above - I don't know for sure but I would imagine all of his first choices (apart from Clarke) said no, and he probably chased them too long leaving us with also rans. He should have been backed better by the board to get the players he wanted.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
grimsby pete
March 6, 2018, 12:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I am not being funny but I think his age caught up with him,

Some managers can still do a good job into their 70's,

In Slades case he lost the plot at a much earlier age,

He could not remember how many loan players he had brought in,

When he did sign players after looking at them on trial for weeks he did not play them much but they had 2 year contracts,

He knew of only one way to play and always reverted back to his long ball on the occassions he did try and play in on the ground.

I hope he enjoys his retirment because I do not think he will find another job in football,

In one way I am hoping he gets one more chance soon,

Then he can take Clarke and a couple of others off our hands.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.