Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 271 Guests

Russell Slade - What went wrong?

This thread currently has 8,682 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
March 6, 2018, 9:53am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'm loving the positivity flowing around following the MJ appointment and have really hugh hopes for our medium-term future under his tutelage.

One thing that's been bugging me for a few weeks and just can't get my head around is what on earth actually happened to Russell Slade? How did he turn into such an incompetent manager? You could argue that he's had a successful managerial career, albeit not actually winning any silverware. He did a good job in his first spell here, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion, he did a good job at Yeovil, Brighton (they love him there), and Orient and to a lesser extent Cardiff.

You don't turn into a bad manager overnight as they say, but how can you display good managerial characteristics and build successful teams and then have it go so badly wrong. He failed miserably at Charlton and Coventry and obviously we know what's happened here this season. He's displayed no discernable attributes this season, his tactics were unknown or ancient, his signings beyond poor, his team selections and substitutions baffling and communication with the media and fans sub-standard.

So my question is, what is what actually happened? How do you go from relative success at the clubs aforementioned to looking like he'd never managed a football club before. Has time caught up with him? Has he lost a spark or an edge that he had previously? Did he just run out of luck?

I'm really intrigued with the theory or leadership and management and would really like to get the bottom of how you go from being a successful, well-thought of manager with a history and shrewd recruitment, great man-management and effective tactics to what we've seen this season. It's like two completely different people.

I'll probably get red-crested to death for bringing Slade up when we should be discussing the future under MJ, but I'm just interested in people's thoughts of what went wrong for Slade and if his time in management is up. We've seen time and time again where a manager has relative success with a team, leaves and never replicates that success again. Gary Caldwell did really well at Wigan in winning L1 but had proved disastrous since, and and he's just one example. But why? Surely it has more to it than luck?

Thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Caveman
March 6, 2018, 9:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Don't hold your breath 'cos at nearly eighty this
will take me a week to type.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
Jarmo.Is.God
March 6, 2018, 10:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I think the basic of it all is, that he lost the players, he lied to the media, and it all started going downhill very rapidly.

he wasn't here very long, yet so much happened...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
Maringer
March 6, 2018, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Pretty simple, really.

During his first spell, he signed some good players, during his second he didn't.

I'd imagine that it's much the same case at his previous failures over the past couple of years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
rancido
March 6, 2018, 10:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Three sackings before he came here seemed to indicate that his football philosophy, tactics and appraisal of players ability was becoming out dated. Even his previous history seemed to indicate he was more of a " steady " manager than a good one.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
supertown
March 6, 2018, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
I saw RS in action for a few days when they couldn’t get on their normal training pitch and he looked very much a ‘hands off’ manager , allowing others to take the training whilst he sat inside and he just appeared to have very little input.
This is only my opinion of what I saw and I may be wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
dapperz fun pub
March 6, 2018, 10:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Out dated ideas and philosophy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
jonnyboy82
March 6, 2018, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Football had moved on but Russell was still stuck in the chalkboard and projector era.

Modern attacking football is now what's successful and I'm afraid slade was to negative and his way of football is 10 years out of date.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
Garth
March 6, 2018, 10:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
At his so called successful clubs including his first time here, his saviors were his players who successfully masked his shortcomings, and once that outlet went, his sales talk failed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
Mallyner
March 6, 2018, 10:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
His father failed to withdraw. Seriously I think the bloke meant well but as others say his methods were sadly outdated now.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade - What went wrong?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.