12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
March 5, 2018, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from arryarryarry

He is Radio Humberside's sports editor, not sure who else they would send and he seemed to be the only one asking the questions.

Yes, that did occur to me but given the last run in they had, and the usual stance that the non-chairman has taken with RH I could imagine us requesting someone more 'trusted' than Matt.
But not Burnsy. Or anyone senior in the Sports Dept who has crossed swords with JF.
Possibly the lad who reads the weather. Either way, works for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 111
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 2:15pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

Please tell me you made that up ?!?!  Hahahahahahahahaha....Long term..5 yrs... why the fck cant they just say " Good morning everyone...as previously announced here is Mr Jolley our new first team manager...any questions ? "

They are already setting themselves up for a missed target... we currently have ..

New ground in two years
Championship in five years

Highly unlikely on both counts i would say as we are currently just sitting outside the relegation from the football league places, havn't won in 15 games, have 5/6 players in place for next season, havn't even submitted an outline planning application for a ground ...yet  we hope to be playing  Championship football in the FentyExtreme Dome in 5 years ?!?!    I hope there was some sniggering at that point.

That's essentially what he did say... And one of the questions was 'what are the long-term goals of the club'

To be fair how much ambition would it have shown if he just said 'We're hoping to be a mid-table league 2 side in 5 years'. If he had said that people would have been damning the board for showing no ambition and having no vision to aspire to etc etc!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 111
scrumble
March 5, 2018, 2:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Go back to our last season in the championship, and if anyone had suggested scunny being in the championship in five years, and hull in the prem we'd have laughed our mammaries off.

It's bloody unlikely we'll do it, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 111
Swansea_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
What PD said about league one top half in next five years sounds a  realistic ambition. I took his comment about the championship as if things went really well not to plan but better.

For me Short term = get through this season as a league 2 club;
Medium term challenge for promotion to league one over next 2-3 seasons. Then become an established league one side season 4+.

Like MJ said though let's just get through the next 10 games and take it from there. I liked what I heard from both board and manger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 111
OllieGTFC
March 5, 2018, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Wonder if PD knows something we don’t 🤔 obviously it’s every clubs ambition to go as high as you can just look at burton who would thought that, just make me wonder where the money will be coming from ? Unless we are getting bought out by a billionaire very unlikely though

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 111
H19P1
March 5, 2018, 3:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Wonder if PD knows something we don’t 🤔 obviously it’s every clubs ambition to go as high as you can just look at burton who would thought that, just make me wonder where the money will be coming from ? Unless we are getting bought out by a billionaire very unlikely though

And maybe MJ is more that what appears. Time will tell but get the feeling this relationship will develop into more than just management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 111
oldun
March 5, 2018, 4:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Maybe he could get one or two of his former city mates to invest few million in our direction. Oh hang on they are shrewd investors are they not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 111
moosey_club
March 5, 2018, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

That's essentially what he did say... And one of the questions was 'what are the long-term goals of the club'

To be fair how much ambition would it have shown if he just said 'We're hoping to be a mid-table league 2 side in 5 years'. If he had said that people would have been damning the board for showing no ambition and having no vision to aspire to etc etc!

The thing is they have no credibility to be able to state that, the best statement the club has made in recent times was our first season back in the League, along the lines of " we have been away for a long time, need to establish ourselves first and paramount is securing our League status" ...completely sensible, completely achievable at the time.
Then we get the Bignot era, build for the future, infrastructure isnt there behind the scenes to build the club, "the plan" , 3-5 yrs which seemed acceptable to all especially as Hurst had left with murmurings of lack of infrastructure. ....then that suddenly wasnt quick enough and it was binned off in favour of assess the squad with play offs next (this) season, as that now petered out it was "we are building" ....then its failure so sacked....now its " 5 yrs to Championship".....

The club have absolutely no clear mandate whatsoever and until it does the club will suffer and every statement of ambition by the board will be challenged.
If it truly is long term ,then 5 yrs isn't long term is it ? Will our current U16 - U13 teams be developed ready for Championship level football by the time they hit 18-21 yrs  ?  While we are selling raffle tickets and whipping round parents to fund it then i truly doubt it.  The deemed best 3 players of the last crop are...Wright on loan at Scarborough, Venney released and Clifton just made his full debut....hardly a ringing endorsement.
When the board start being credible by delivering or sticking by what they say then we can all move forward.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 111
Mikey_345
March 5, 2018, 4:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,271
Gold Stars: 95
I think a few may have interprated the championship comment the wrong way.

My interpretation was that the club believe there is no reason why we shouldn’t be a comfortable top end league 1 team. (Ala Scunthorpe)

If we where to achieve that then there is absolutley every possibility we could regain championship status, only takes a play off spot and then some luck during them.

I didn’t think when asked that the aim was “to be a championship club in five years”. Just that if we achieved the league 1 goal,which was the long term aim, you never know what could happen with a little luck.

But as MJ wisely pointed out, it’s all about the next 10 games at the minute.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 111
nightrider
March 5, 2018, 5:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
As for keeping Wilkinson for his experience of the players.......
He'd be better off reading this forum

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley Press Conference - YouTube link

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.