12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 5, 2018, 11:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
was there any subsequent 1-1 interviews, or did they just go upstairs for the photos?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 111
Stew0_0
March 5, 2018, 11:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Im suggesting that as Jolley left his last role in Sweden as the board failed to show the same sort of ambition and commitment that Michael has, then our board had to and will continue to talk up the ambition of the club to convince him to sign in the first place.

Gonna be a huge ask to get us to the championship though as football is not what it used to be in Buckleys era.
The championship had teams like Town, Walsall, Crewe and Tranmere holding there own. Now giants like Sunderland with 30,000+ fans are struggling.

Excited about this appointment though and the future (once this season is out of the way).  We will pretty much start next season with a fresh canvas as the whole squad is pretty much out of contract come May.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 111
ginnywings
March 5, 2018, 11:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chipsandgravy

I will settle for low key and pragmatic after all the bull that has been sprouted before him. Not sure what you were after particuarly when you say you've heard it all before. Everybody on here seemed to want new blood, me included, and first signs are that he will definately never talk the bollox that Bignot did but will offer something new that Slade never could. Time will only tell though.

I wasn't particularly after anything. It was all a bit perfunctory and the fact that it was left to Mr Day, with not much fanfare suggests the club are actually keeping a low profile on this one, after all the promises of the last two managers came to nought. We were even told 2 days before who the manager would be that they were introducing. I think Mr Day should have just kept to the brief and not mentioned League 1 and the Championship. That's the bit that riled me. All the talk that comes to nothing, like being top 7 this season. Getting rid of all the best players in the arrogant notion that we would just sail along to seasons end with no problems is the reality of the situation. Stop talking about what we are going to do and actually sort out the main thing, which is staying in the division.

Sorry if all that sounds cynical and defeatist, but that's the way i feel after years and years of poor decisions, with myriad managers and players coming and going. The one constant in all this is still there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 111
ginnywings
March 5, 2018, 11:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano
was there any subsequent 1-1 interviews, or did they just go upstairs for the photos?

There will probably be some on iFollow, so you will need a subscription to watch. Just a guess on my part though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 111
Grumps
March 5, 2018, 11:55am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Good interview and he seems to be a realist who recognises the situation we are in. I thought Mr Day handled himself well and although he did make that rather ambitious statement for the next 5 years I thought Michael Jolley response that we deal with the present first and deal with other ambitions after was very grounded and wants to just get on with the job in hand. My first impressions positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 111
grimsby pete
March 5, 2018, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
One thing is certain,

He can only be an improvement on Slade,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 111
RonMariner
March 5, 2018, 12:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from grimsby pete
One thing is certain,

True!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 111
Perkins
March 5, 2018, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Excitement and positivity abounds on The Fishy....whats gone wrong?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 111
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 12:32pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete
One thing is certain,

Second that Pete!

To be fair Phillip Day taking the team himself would be an improvement over Slade!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 111
moosey_club
March 5, 2018, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from oldun
Eloquent. Said all the right things. No wild promises. Mr Day said the club's long term goal is Championship football in 5 years. Now that would be some achievement and brought a wry smile from Michael who quite rightly wanted to concentrate on what he called is a 10 game season, starting on Sat. He said he is happy to work with existing staff. My guess is "for now"

Please tell me you made that up ?!?!  Hahahahahahahahaha....Long term..5 yrs... why the fck cant they just say " Good morning everyone...as previously announced here is Mr Jolley our new first team manager...any questions ? "

They are already setting themselves up for a missed target... we currently have ..

New ground in two years
Championship in five years

Highly unlikely on both counts i would say as we are currently just sitting outside the relegation from the football league places, havn't won in 15 games, have 5/6 players in place for next season, havn't even submitted an outline planning application for a ground ...yet  we hope to be playing  Championship football in the FentyExtreme Dome in 5 years ?!?!    I hope there was some sniggering at that point.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley Press Conference - YouTube link

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.