rancido
March 5, 2018, 10:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Davec
I hope too many people don't get too hung up on his "we've got some good footballers" comments, he can't exactly say all the players are excrement can he.

But he didn't have to say anything at all about the squad either!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 111
RoboCod
March 5, 2018, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I'd suggest that MJ knows, as most of us on here have commented on frequently that there's a more than decent core of a team here. Add to that a mish-mash squad of players who are either good enough to fit into his plans and fill out that core into a good team or fall by the wayside, there's enough quality to be squeezed out and turned into a team fit for survival is my view.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 111
Northbank Mariner
March 5, 2018, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Wonder of MJ can call back clem, how we could with him and Mcallister sat in midfield right now with summers sat mopping up the pieces...
Do think the Mr Jolley has some bright ideas and with Sean Dyche as a mentor and a shoulder to lean on it can only be a good thing!
Time will tell, although he comes across quite meek, possibly a little mild I think they`ll be more than a prawn sandwich thrown in the dressing room if the players do not pull their weight for him!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 111
Theimperialcoroner
March 5, 2018, 11:10am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,142
Gold Stars: 102
Anyone got a list of out of contract players who know where the back of the net is??

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 111
grimsby pete
March 5, 2018, 11:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Michael came across as a well spoken intelligent person ;

Philip Day is a really nice man who should handle all GTFC  PR in the near future,

Now we need some wins on the pitch.

Here's to a new future.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 111
chipsandgravy
March 5, 2018, 11:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
Well that was all low key wasn't it? Nobody apart from Matt Dean asking any questions and it all ended rather abruptly. Suppose everyone is weary of press conferences for new managers, seeing as they come around quicker than Star Wars sequels. I couldn't help thinking that it was Marcus Bignot all over again. He even said "listen" at one point. Maybe that was a p1ss take? More talk about ambition, promotion and where we want to take the club. Heard it all before to be frank, so let's see some action this time.

I will settle for low key and pragmatic after all the bull that has been sprouted before him. Not sure what you were after particuarly when you say you've heard it all before. Everybody on here seemed to want new blood, me included, and first signs are that he will definately never talk the bollox that Bignot did but will offer something new that Slade never could. Time will only tell though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 111
TAGG
March 5, 2018, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Good to see his full focus is on the 10 remaining games and not getting sidetracked with what the future holds.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 111
March 5, 2018, 11:15am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The thing is that many have played at League 1 level or higher.

Most of them around 40 years ago.
Reply: 37 - 111
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 11:26am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Good, honest presentation to the media. What I want to know is:

Is he tracksuit or suit manager on the touchline. When was the last time we had a gaffer wearing anything other than the standard GTFC/Errea tracksuit 🤔😉

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
March 5, 2018, 11:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from oldun
Eloquent. Said all the right things. No wild promises. Mr Day said the club's long term goal is Championship football in 5 years. Now that would be some achievement and brought a wry smile from Michael who quite rightly wanted to concentrate on what he called is a 10 game season, starting on Sat. He said he is happy to work with existing staff. My guess is "for now"

Mr.Day is clearly a nice man, and whatever the reasons for Fenty not showing up, it was the right thing to do.

To talk of Championship football in 5 years though was utterly bizarre.

Ambition is one thing but the whole impracticality of what he said is quite another. It reinforced my view that although in the whole well meaning, non of the board seem to have a clue about modern football administration.

We all wish for things - but it ain't gonna happen without huge change on and off the pitch.

Jolley came across well and I am sure he will get a tremendous reception on Saturday. I hope he is the start of a better future.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley Press Conference - YouTube link

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.