Poojah
March 4, 2018, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,400
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from chaos33
Whilst the sentiment of that Poojah rant is understandable, the actual content and language is childish and embarrassing. I've never grasped why it was held up as some literary masterpiece that speaks for the disillusioned.

I feel that anger and frustration but reading it makes me cringe.

For what it's worth I probably agree with you. At the time, it was written with the intention of being disposed of after an hour or two, not something that would be referred back to nearly a decade later. I never quite understood the fuss at the time if I'm honest.

Anyway, choice of words aside I think most at least agreed with the sentiment. Back then we had a squad virtually devoid of talent and worse still, very little care for the club and its supporters. Honestly, I don't feel today's bunch fall into quite the same category - we have to remember that as recently as Boxing Day that we were in the top half of the table with half an eye on the play-offs.

It was hardly total football but it was, for the most part, competent. The issue as I see it is a crisis of confidence amongst a squad which, whilst not brilliant, is nevertheless capable of league two football.

I'm personally not convinced that a manager in his first headline role in English football is the right choice for us at this moment, I'm really not, but one way or another we need to seize this new start as an opportunity to breathe some life and confidence back into a badly struggling team.

10 games to save the club - it won't survive another non-league relegation in my humble opinion.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Kris2
March 4, 2018, 4:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GrimRob

How can you say it's worse? We're Football League for Christ's sake. If you had shown me the league table now this time two years ago I'd have snapped your hand off.

Yes things are great but they have been a lot lot worse than they are now. That first season in the Conference was a very bleak year.

I guess if the negativity continues your corporate masters will take away the site again. Sorry but sprinkling glitter on excrement doesn't make it less excrement. It doesn't matter what league we are in, bad is bad. "shut up, we are in the league now aren't we!?" isn't a compelling argument. Yes it's been bad before, but I can't remember a time when I wanted to pull a Gordan Ramsey on the whole team and be all "urine off will you..."  because I can't stand the sight of them going through the motions every game when they clearly don't want to play for us.

If you think the first season in the conference was worse than this then you really are blind. We were inconsistent but under no threat of relegation and for their obvious lack of any real talent the team were triers and got some decent wins. It was frustrating due to the expectation we'd urine that league but I attended every home game that season and a couple of away games happily. Right now I have no motivation to go to games, it's not entertaining or interesting and the only reason I think anyone goes now is out of habit because it's been part of their week for so long. I would happily watch a team that plays below expectations but still tries, I can't bear to watch a team that doesn't even want to try and puts so little effort in.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
GrimRob
March 4, 2018, 4:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Kris2

I guess if the negativity continues your corporate masters will take away the site again. Sorry but sprinkling glitter on excrement doesn't make it less excrement. It doesn't matter what league we are in, bad is bad. "shut up, we are in the league now aren't we!?" isn't a compelling argument. Yes it's been bad before, but I can't remember a time when I wanted to pull a Gordan Ramsey on the whole team and be all "urine off will you..."  because I can't stand the sight of them going through the motions every game when they clearly don't want to play for us.

If you think the first season in the conference was worse than this then you really are blind. We were inconsistent but under no threat of relegation and for their obvious lack of any real talent the team were triers and got some decent wins. It was frustrating due to the expectation we'd urine that league but I attended every home game that season and a couple of away games happily. Right now I have no motivation to go to games, it's not entertaining or interesting and the only reason I think anyone goes now is out of habit because it's been part of their week for so long. I would happily watch a team that plays below expectations but still tries, I can't bear to watch a team that doesn't even want to try and puts so little effort in.

Any season in the National League is worse than one in this one, it's as simple as that. If you are happier winning games most of the time then maybe you would be happier in a division where we are bigger fish, but personally I'd rather compete at a higher level even if it means success comes around a lot less often. Just because I don't agree with you have to run me down, I am as entitled to my point as anyone else.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 26
Ipswin
March 4, 2018, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GrimRob

Any season in the National League is worse than one in this one, it's as simple as that. If you are happier winning games most of the time then maybe you would be happier in a division where we are bigger fish, but personally I'd rather compete at a higher level even if it means success comes around a lot less often.

Sorry Rob but I just don't get that at all. Surely you want to see the team win and be at the right end of the division (whichever one it is) rather than getting beaten by bigger, better teams. Surely, assuming we can't have both then success beats the quality of the football hands down. Top four in any division rather than bottom four in a higher level division anytime for me

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
GrimRob
March 4, 2018, 6:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Ipswin

Sorry Rob but I just don't get that at all. Surely you want to see the team win and be at the right end of the division (whichever one it is) rather than getting beaten by bigger, better teams. Surely, assuming we can't have both then success beats the quality of the football hands down. Top four in any division rather than bottom four in a higher level division anytime for me

Yes I would love to have my cake and eat it but to return the question that this is the worse season ever then I would say that it certainly isn't (yet) because a) we have been in lower divisions, b) we are far from relegated, despite the general malaise. If we stay up this season there is no way this would even be a contender for the worst season ever in our 140 years, given that we have twice been kicked out the league, faced re-election to the league twice, and been relegated from higher divisions numerous times. If we go down it would certainly be up there, but it's not over yet, and we haven't had any of Jolley's input yet.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 26
arryarryarry
March 4, 2018, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano
Can u tell me which players aren't trying? Coz I haven't seen any lack of effort apart from maybe Dixon who is apparently on 2.5k per week and has been lamentable.just a complete lack of confidence. Poor decision making and in some cases a lack of ability.

Hooper at times looks like he can't be arsed as do both Matt and Vernon recently, Berrett would rather chop an opponent down than make a forward pass, and I can't remember the last time Woolford broke into a jog when he played.

As someone else mentioned how many games do you get to to have a real view on players performances?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
toontown
March 4, 2018, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

For what it's worth I probably agree with you. At the time, it was written with the intention of being disposed of after an hour or two, not something that would be referred back to nearly a decade later. I never quite understood the fuss at the time if I'm honest.

Anyway, choice of words aside I think most at least agreed with the sentiment. Back then we had a squad virtually devoid of talent and worse still, very little care for the club and its supporters. Honestly, I don't feel today's bunch fall into quite the same category - we have to remember that as recently as Boxing Day that we were in the top half of the table with half an eye on the play-offs.

It was hardly total football but it was, for the most part, competent. The issue as I see it is a crisis of confidence amongst a squad which, whilst not brilliant, is nevertheless capable of league two football.

I'm personally not convinced that a manager in his first headline role in English football is the right choice for us at this moment, I'm really not, but one way or another we need to seize this new start as an opportunity to breathe some life and confidence back into a badly struggling team.

10 games to save the club - it won't survive another non-league relegation in my humble opinion.

yes but that side up until Boxing Day was not quite  the team we have now, it had Jones and his 6 league goals (not great but a goal every 3 games or so is a quantum leap over any striker we have available now).

It also had Osborne who in a 3 minute spell in the swindon game did more than Berrett has all season and set up a goal, (was that Osborne's only appearance)? As an aside we at least had the hope that Osborne (and maybe Clements) would come into the squad to improve it too.

Also maybe Collins being that bit older this season he is struggling to keep going for the later part of the season as the legs have started to go, but may have been ok earlier on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › To The Players of Grimsby Town FC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.