Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 168 Guests

Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?

This thread currently has 6,003 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
March 3, 2018, 11:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
Did Berrett actually get 20 assists in a season for Carlisle, because, it sounds like nonsense (De Bruyne has 14 in the prem this season by way of a comparison)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
Tommy
March 3, 2018, 11:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah I sense there's a bit of exaggeration there.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Abdul19
March 3, 2018, 11:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
I think they've moved a decimal point

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
arryarryarry
March 4, 2018, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DocDock
It’s a close call but i think the relegation team from 2010 are worse, just.

Whilst that was s poor squad it was my view they were poorly led by Woods and if we had changed manager we would have stayed up.

I have been a supporter since the mid 60s and have seen a number of poor teams but I do believe this squad is probably the poorest and I'm not sure there is enough talent for MJ to keep us up.

I just hope unlike in 2010 I am wrong this time.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 4, 2018, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If there was one striker who could reliably score a goal every 2-3 games the pressure would be lifted in an instant and other players would chip in. The failure to score has always been at the root of the problems even early in the season. If you don’t score, the pressure falls on midfield and the back 4. One mistake and that is the end of the game because you know there is no chance of an equaliser. Not even from a penalty now it seems.

We know the back 4 is slow and the midfield does not offer much but the actual football at times has been good. Considering the pressure the defenders have been under for weeks they have not done that badly. We have consistently had more possession than opponents especially first half, but failed to do anything with it. Chances are created and missed, half-chances are ignored. If you are part of a team like that week after week it will be dispiriting because there is nothing you can do about someone else’s failure to score. I never subscribed to what Hurst said about a striker’s job being first to defend from the front. It is a striker’s job to get goals and ours are abject. They couldn’t do it at their previous clubs so they won’t do it here. Even LJL scuffed in the odd goal now and again and he took penalties.

I don’t think Jolley (or anyone else) would see many changes in defence or midfield just now. It’s too late for wholesale changes.  He needs to work with the strikers or move someone else to play up there. It is more about confidence than anything else.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
March 4, 2018, 10:49am
Guest User
You could say this team sleep walked to relegation, but no they started at a jog and now it's a sprint.
Mills is the stand out defender, Summerfield the midfielder and standout forward erm...Jackson maybe.
30 mins into the game the defence starts to defend deeper and deeper.
We don't press high upfield. Matt charges around. Dembele is showing signs of playing in a poor side and it is affecting his game.
The whole squad is made up of poor to mediocre players at best with several past their sell by date.
This squad is 500% worse than this time last year. We'd even lost Bogle.
If Jolly saves us from relegation, then I'll think he's earned respect. I may renew my season ticket, sadly I can't wait for the season to end. I have been to every game at home I have been able, it's a chore, I look forward normally to games.
Reply: 35 - 48
The_Chief
March 4, 2018, 11:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
Hells bells.  Our current lot makes that team look like Barcelona in comparison, and I don't say that lightly.   I remember also the Nicky Law team towards the end the of 2004 season being pretty inept.
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, it's our team from 10 years ago, and whilst it wasn't great, this midfield at least scored goals. I saw Danny North in the Linden club a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned he could still get a game in this current Town team, of which he just laughed.

League 2 Grimsby Town  46 15 10 21 55 66 (-10) 55pts (16th position)

Better, worse or just as bad (league appearances and goals that season including subs appearances for those who played in 10 or more league games):

Barnes (42)

Newey (42-1 goal)   Boshell (40-6 goals)   North (27- 9 goals)
Fenton (42-2)          Hunt (37)                     Taylor (26-5)
Bennett (40-1)         Bolland (35-4)             Butler (21-6)
Atkinson (24-1)       Till (34-2)                     Rankin (17)
Clarke (29-2)           Hegarty (30-4)
Whittle (18-1)          Toner (30-3)
Hird (17)                  Bore (17-2)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
mariners1
March 4, 2018, 2:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
In recent years the central midfield of Hudson and Leary would take some beating for mediocrity but it's a close run thing with what we've been putting out for most of this season.
I think most reasoned supporters would agree that we've got so few players that we identify with. All responsibilty for this lies with Slade of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2018, 2:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I've never seen a squad with so little attacking threat - and when you think that our main threat this season has been a player who had never played league football before (Dembele), that probably says it all.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Mariner Ronnie
March 4, 2018, 2:50pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Buckley mark III team of 08/09 season loads worse.  

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.