Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?

This thread currently has 6,007 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
DocDock
March 3, 2018, 9:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
It’s a close call but i think the relegation team from 2010 are worse, just.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
RonMariner
March 3, 2018, 10:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,546
Gold Stars: 225
That is a tough one. 4 points and 5 goals in 15 matches is about the worst I can recall. Not sure even the 2010 wasters plunged to such depths.

However, given that Slade created this mess by offloading talented players to bring in an army of such outstandingly talentless journeymen, I think this squad deserves to be bestowed with the label of being worst in living memory. They are currently the worst team in the country in 2018, so it seems a fitting double accolade.

Matt, Dixon, Kelly, Woodford, Berret, are staggeringly bad and all contenders for the consideration for Worst Town 11 of all time.

Thankfully we do have a few players in the squad that are better. I am thinking of RHJ, Wilks, Vernam, Mills, Davies, Sulliman, Clifton. There is the basis of a reasonable (for this level) team there if only they were fit, and the management would pick them.  Dembele too might flourish in such a line up. Add in Summerfiled for his work rate, or the mysteriously overlooked MacAlister and we have enough players to at least be competitive against the bottom teams in L2.

Lets hope MJ can size up his options quickly. We really need to get something out of the Port Vale game.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
GrimRob
March 3, 2018, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
When Dembele was in the team we were comfortably mid-table. Since his injury, we have been in freefall. We desperately need him back. Without him, we're too predictable and easy to play against and teams can pick us off at the other end.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 48
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Mike Lyons bunch will always take some beating for me, how much of that was down purely to the manager could be argued i suppose..as opposed to just how poor the players actually were..........Macca up front for instance FFS !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
Grimbiggs
March 3, 2018, 10:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, it's our team from 10 years ago, and whilst it wasn't great, this midfield at least scored goals. I saw Danny North in the Linden club a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned he could still get a game in this current Town team, of which he just laughed.

League 2 Grimsby Town  46 15 10 21 55 66 (-10) 55pts (16th position)

Better, worse or just as bad (league appearances and goals that season including subs appearances for those who played in 10 or more league games):

Barnes (42)

Newey (42-1 goal)   Boshell (40-6 goals)   North (27- 9 goals)
Fenton (42-2)          Hunt (37)                     Taylor (26-5)
Bennett (40-1)         Bolland (35-4)             Butler (21-6)
Atkinson (24-1)       Till (34-2)                     Rankin (17)
Clarke (29-2)           Hegarty (30-4)
Whittle (18-1)          Toner (30-3)
Hird (17)                  Bore (17-2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
jamesgtfc
March 3, 2018, 10:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Humberside used the Cumbria commentary today and they were saying how Berrett got 20 assists for them one season and could not stop creating goals then it was as though he plateaued and he contributed nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Humberside used the Cumbria commentary today and they were saying how Berrett got 20 assists for them one season and could not stop creating goals then it was as though he plateaued and he contributed nothing.

nice guy though ...  
summed him up when he was subbed off though .... "its Berrett going off..not effected the game has he"

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
toontown
March 3, 2018, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from jamesgtfc

yeah that was interesting - 20 assists in 1 season, expected him to then improve but went backwards (they didnt exactly say that but that was the impression i got) was released and done nothing since.

Genuine question - has he got another 20 assists in his entire career since that year - doubt he has more than 1 this season?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
RichMariner
March 3, 2018, 11:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Any of the sides we had in the National League would beat this lot.

Say what you like about the team Woods built for our first season in non-league (Kempson, Ridley, etc) it still beat Histon 6-1 and Mansfield 7-2 and would probably be good enough to beat today's shower of excrement.

Obviously there's no getting away from the fact that the 2009/10 team went 20-odd games without a win, but if you look at that run closely, when Woods was in charge, we only actually lost back-to-back league games ONCE.

We just drew too many games that season, so it was our inability to turn one point into three that got us relegated.

Right now we can't get one point and we can't score one goal. The winless run isn't as long but we're losing far more regularly - and far more heavily - than in 2009/10.

In 2009/10 our worst run was 5 points from a possible 30. Today we have 5 from a possible 45, so it terms of a particular run, we've been worse this season.

In 2009/10 we picked up 15 points from our winless 25 league games. Today we have 15 points from 22 league games, so really not that different.

We've been averaging 0.68 points per game since mid-October, not just since this bad run began in early December.

Over the course of an entire season that would be 31-32 points. We've been in relegation form since mid-October - almost FIVE months.

We've lost four games in a row THREE times this season (all comps).

2009/10 was very bad but I think, just by the nature of how many games we're losing, and the margin of defeats (just look at our goal difference) I believe this squad is worse than the one in 2009/10.

And that really is saying something.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
bawarmy
March 3, 2018, 11:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
The players I have seen grace Blundell  Park. Waters, Drinkell, Kevin  Moore , Crombie, Mendonca , Cunnington, Cockeril, Pouton, Futcher, Whymark. I could go on. Yes this is the worst team I’ve ever known. These are truly sad times.  But we have a new manager that hasn’t even started yet so you never know. Good times could be just around the corner. I have a 17 year old son who has a season ticket and won’t have a bad word said against the team (although he knows they are sh1t)  I just want him to experience what I did before Fenty came along.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this the worst GTFC team we've ever had?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.