Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The just back thread.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 348 Guests

The just back thread.

This thread currently has 3,912 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
March 3, 2018, 7:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Never thought I'd ever have the dubious honour of starting the "Just back thread" but by virtue of barralad's absence and a quick dash up the M74 after the game here goes.

I had conditioned myself to the fact that we would lose today, show very little in front of goal, and be utterly clueless. I wasn't disappointed. It's difficult being only a very sporadic attendee but in terms of what I witnessed today I think the new manager will need to be as adept at performing miracles as Jesus to give us any chance at all of staying up. I can not think of a worse display by any Town team that I have ever seen in well over 50 years of supporting Town. We really were that bad. When the biggest cheer of the first half was for Dixon going down injured it tells you something.

There was no guile, there was no game plan, but worse of all there was no passion. Nobody prepared to run through walls and getting hurt to help the cause. We had nobody who could pass a ball. The amount of times we gave the very simple ball away to Carlisle was unbelievable, and that's when we played it on the deck - which wasn't very often. Hoof ball was the order of the day as time after time the defence seemed unwilling to do anything bar that. I suppose that's because our midfield was bereft of any craft, so not much point in going through them. Only thing was as soon as they'd cleared it back it came and Town udner pressure again. When the big ball was aimed at Matt I lost count of the number of times he jumped at least half a second too early so the defender behind him was able to clear unopposed for most of the game. He's a big lad, and I'm sure he can put it about a bit but if he's getting coached by Wilko - a past master of the art - and still can't do it there's not much to look forward to.

Our defence was flat footed. First goal was by giving the ball away deep into their half and not being able to get back. The Town fans were screaming for offside, I don't know because we were all at least 15 yards in front of him. He looked offisde when he first touched the ball, but whether he was offside when it was first kicked forward I really don't know. Second goal straight from a corner and James was definitely pushed when he went for the ball, but nothing given. Be interesting to watch on tv tonight. If he wasn't pushed by a Town player (?) it was the most blatant foul not to be awarded today. The penalty was from another dreadful mistake.

There's no pace at all in this team, and yet Dembele can't get a look in. This wasn't a good Carlisle side. A good side would have taken us to the cleaners, because we were that inept.

Very well done the other 142 travelling Town fans, you deserve a medal for your efforts to get there, your stoicism, and your self deprecating humour in the face of genuine on the pitch adversity. I applaud you. I was lucky I had only a journey of les than an hour so it was easy for me. Am so glad I don't have to witness that every week though. What I will say is the team that was out on the pitch today would struggle in the National League North alongside the likes of Boston, Stockport and York. Jolley's got his work cut out, but he'll have been only too aware of that before he came. I hope the fans get behind him and the team, give him some breathing space, because as sure as night follows day, if he can't pull off the miracle we're going down.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
March 3, 2018, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Good report JDT. Perhaps you now understand the despondency on here, having to watch that shower week in week out. I think they are up there with the worst sides we have ever put out, probably THE worst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
louth_in_the_south
March 3, 2018, 7:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Cheers JDT you’ve made me feel loads better . I was looking at trains earlier in the week from Sussex. If I was stood at Carlisle station now I’d probably be a jumper

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Cumbrian Mariner
March 3, 2018, 8:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
I agree with JDT to an extent but feel that the last 2 games the team have shown a bit of character and move the ball about but where we lack most is ghe final third of the pitch,   why do we constantly knowck the high cross in when we never ever seem towin one?

Today we played against a Carlisle team who didn't have a recognised full back.  Four csnte halves who, with the greatest of respect, are not blessed with pace.  They were their for runnjnb it if we had Dembele or Clifton on the pitch. Whdn Vernham came on and Hall Johnson werejntroduced  in the second half we looked better going forward and knocked the ball around well but without any real conviction.

We did have a couple of good chances, Cardwell straighg at ghe keeper jn the second half , when the keeper made a good block and when Matt took one off the toes of Rose as he ran into the 6 yard box.  With a bit of luck they wluld have been put away and we were back in the game.

I felt that last week we looked better with Mills and Clifton down the right - still don't understand why he wasn't invllved today.  

Great penalty save by Maca.

We desperately need a bit of luck - desperately!

A good day out spoilt by the freezing weather, sh1re referee and the result but STILL A MARINER.

Bring on the JOLLEY days and make us all proud agajn.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Cumbrian Mariner
March 3, 2018, 8:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
Ps safe trip home for the rest of the travelling Mariners.

All Town aren't we!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
oochiad
March 3, 2018, 8:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Cumbrian Mariner said what a lot of us know. We were much better when Vernam and RHJ came on. Why didn’t Wilkinson, it’s obvious. We’re in this predicament because Slade and now Wilkinson have been picking the wrong selection. I believe we have a team that can get us the points needed if the right team is put out. Over to you Mr Jolley!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2018, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,643
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from jock dock tower
Never thought I'd ever have the dubious honour of starting the "Just back thread" but by virtue of barralad's absence and a quick dash up the M74 after the game here goes.

I had conditioned myself to the fact that we would lose today, show very little in front of goal, and be utterly clueless. I wasn't disappointed. It's difficult being only a very sporadic attendee but in terms of what I witnessed today I think the new manager will need to be as adept at performing miracles as Jesus to give us any chance at all of staying up. I can not think of a worse display by any Town team that I have ever seen in well over 50 years of supporting Town. We really were that bad. When the biggest cheer of the first half was for Dixon going down injured it tells you something.

There was no guile, there was no game plan, but worse of all there was no passion. Nobody prepared to run through walls and getting hurt to help the cause. We had nobody who could pass a ball. The amount of times we gave the very simple ball away to Carlisle was unbelievable, and that's when we played it on the deck - which wasn't very often. Hoof ball was the order of the day as time after time the defence seemed unwilling to do anything bar that. I suppose that's because our midfield was bereft of any craft, so not much point in going through them. Only thing was as soon as they'd cleared it back it came and Town udner pressure again. When the big ball was aimed at Matt I lost count of the number of times he jumped at least half a second too early so the defender behind him was able to clear unopposed for most of the game. He's a big lad, and I'm sure he can put it about a bit but if he's getting coached by Wilko - a past master of the art - and still can't do it there's not much to look forward to.

Our defence was flat footed. First goal was by giving the ball away deep into their half and not being able to get back. The Town fans were screaming for offside, I don't know because we were all at least 15 yards in front of him. He looked offisde when he first touched the ball, but whether he was offside when it was first kicked forward I really don't know. Second goal straight from a corner and James was definitely pushed when he went for the ball, but nothing given. Be interesting to watch on tv tonight. If he wasn't pushed by a Town player (?) it was the most blatant foul not to be awarded today. The penalty was from another dreadful mistake.

There's no pace at all in this team, and yet Dembele can't get a look in. This wasn't a good Carlisle side. A good side would have taken us to the cleaners, because we were that inept.

Very well done the other 142 travelling Town fans, you deserve a medal for your efforts to get there, your stoicism, and your self deprecating humour in the face of genuine on the pitch adversity. I applaud you. I was lucky I had only a journey of les than an hour so it was easy for me. Am so glad I don't have to witness that every week though. What I will say is the team that was out on the pitch today would struggle in the National League North alongside the likes of Boston, Stockport and York. Jolley's got his work cut out, but he'll have been only too aware of that before he came. I hope the fans get behind him and the team, give him some breathing space, because as sure as night follows day, if he can't pull off the miracle we're going down.

Good report, glad you got home safely clearly another afternoon of ineptitude on the pitch from GTFC.

Good teams don’t get relegated.......we are not a good team.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Teestogreen
March 3, 2018, 9:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
I can concur with most of what JDT and Cumbrian Mariner have said.

A lot of what Town do is ok and, although going a goal down early, I felt that Town shaded the possession.

Problem is the game plan is just this - and there is no cutting edge - probably because the right tools are not available.

How the Carlisle keeper saved Cardwell's close range strike in the second half? Not long after this Carlisle scored their second from a set piece against the run of play, I felt, and that was it.

But I'm with JDT and Cumbrian Mariner, in that the game itself lacked passion.

I did position myself close to the Town dug out, after Town went down that early goal, and there was little verbal communication from the Town temporary management to the players.

Later in the game though, different track suited people appeared from the dug out at different times, shouting instructions at the players and although Paul W. was the visible person and did consistently talk to one of these people as the game went on, I didn't come away with the impression that Paul was actually in control of the team.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
conscorner
March 3, 2018, 9:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 3
There were some plus points today - 1. I got a £9 refund on my match ticket. 2. The scenery was very nice along the M6.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Mendonca1995
March 3, 2018, 9:44pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Is Nathan Clarke on some sort of contract deal that if he doesn’t play he gets some sort of bonus because how on earth he hasn’t been dropped yet is unreal !!! I’ve not seen a centre half so slow in all my life (ok maybe Heywood or raven) but he’s terrible I’ve never said anything about shaun Pearson getting let go because I was prepared to give the replacements a chance etc but boy how we could do with him right now ok he wasn’t the quickest either but he could defend properly wins 99% of Ariel battles puts his head in we’re its hurts puts body on the line and plays for the shirt we need to shake this back line up and fast it’s so slow and clumsy we’re giving goals away for fun we’re in free fall it has to change good luck jolley I hope you can turn this around cos we are in sh*t street !!!!! UTM

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The just back thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.