March 5, 2018, 7:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Cloudy

You seem very bitter tbh.

The youth set up has had huge upheaval ( for the good) in the last 18 months under Neil Woods.
Prior to that it was bankrupt, that was why local kids were heading for Hulland Scunny. That flow has stopped now but if we are relegated the end is nigh

This.

The Academy is now unrecognisable, in terms of structure AND staffing, to what it was when we were non-league.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
dapperz fun pub
March 5, 2018, 7:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Cloudy

You seem very bitter tbh.

The youth set up has had huge upheaval ( for the good) in the last 18 months under Neil Woods.
Prior to that it was bankrupt, that was why local kids were heading for Hulland Scunny. That flow has stopped now but if we are relegated the end is nigh

Not bitter at all just want the best for the club , it's a result s business and our youth set up doesn't produce players it didn't under woods last time and id be surprised if it did this time round . If he proves me wrong fantastic but so far

Now if you’re talking producing players for clee town gy boro different story
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
March 5, 2018, 8:07am
Guest User
Quoted from Heisenberg
I agree, new start on Monday.

I didn’t go today, but I think we know where the issues are. I’d definitely find a place for Suliman, Vernam and Dembele. Clifton and Davies too, if fit.

I’d like to see 3 at the back, but the rumours are that Jolley prefers 433. So, I’d go with:

Mckeown

Davies/RHJ   Suliman     Collins       Mills

Clifton      Rose/McAllister     Summerfield

Dembele     Vernam       DJ

Why not?!!

I think you'd need a target man. We don't really have one. Matt really should be that man but his second touch is invariably a tackle. I would go with that side, but I'd start Vernon as central striker, his job, to play with his back to goal and bring DJ and Dembele into play. I would definitely start MCaliister in front of the back four and to offer us some insurance. That formation requires full backs to really get forward and provide some width, I rate Davies but at his age, after a hamstring injury it's asking a lot of him. For that reason I would start Hall Johnson although in a three, you could play Davies in his natural central midfield role. The side lacks goals (stating the obvious), but should be solid and everyone would have a clear and defined role.
Reply: 42 - 57
LondonMariner43
March 5, 2018, 8:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Which players are actually fit and available?  With some players supposedly out of favour, it’s hard to know who is actually fit.  When will the various loanees be fit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
ginnywings
March 5, 2018, 9:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mimma
Why can't Jolley do what Hurst has done at Shrewsbury? They were worst off than us when he took over, saved them from relegation and the next season they are going for the title.

Why be so negative?

Experience.

I agree with what you say, but this is GTFC. Only other sides seem to escape from the mire with a new manager. We just keep right on being sh1te.

There is a definite malaise around this club and there has been for a long time. I'm desperately hoping that MJ can be the one to lift it, but history tells me that it is more likely to be more of the same. I will be ecstatic if he proves to be different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
March 5, 2018, 9:32am
Guest User
Quoted from mimma
Why can't Jolley do what Hurst has done at Shrewsbury? They were worst off than us when he took over, saved them from relegation and the next season they are going for the title.

Why be so negative?

Absolutely, it's only division 4 and we are Grimsby FFS.
Reply: 45 - 57
ROKERITE
March 5, 2018, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ginnywings

Haven't see you around for a while Rokerite. Are you keeping tabs on the bottom leagues for when Sunderland get down here?  

I ought to cut to the chase and go straight to The National League! With luck we'll be meeting you in League One the season after next.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
ginnywings
March 5, 2018, 9:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ROKERITE

I ought to cut to the chase and go straight to The National League! With luck we'll be meeting you in League One the season after next.

I hope so. I'm guessing you hope not but it doesn't seem that long ago that we were facing each other in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
FishOutOfWater
March 5, 2018, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mimma

Why be so negative?

Hurst had more than six months to save Shrewsbury, including being able to get players in during transfer windows

Jolley has got just less than two months to turn things around

No comparison in my eyes, though as long as he can pull off some kind of rescue act between now and the first week of May, he might well then be able to emulate what Hurst is doing

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 57
Les Brechin
March 5, 2018, 1:45pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Next 4 home games... Port Vale, Stevenage, Chesterfield and Barnet.

3 of those need no building up but we also owe Stevenage too.

We need to be looking at beating our 3 nearest rivals and if we can get something off Stevenage too will go a long way to securing our safety this season.

Having said that I think MJ will need to be some sort of miracle worker to get the players we've got at the minute performing well.

We really do need to be safe before we head to FGR on the last day of the season!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Monday - The Start

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.