BottesfordMariner
March 3, 2018, 9:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
10 games left to save ourselves.

10 pts may be enough possibly a couple more needed.

Vale, Chesterfield & Barnet have yet to visit BP.

I will go as far as to say win those 3 games and we will probably just do enough to stay up.

Fail to win any of those 3 games and it will be over. Boreham Wood, Ebbsfleet, Fylde and Salford City await......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
GrimRob
March 3, 2018, 10:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
10 games left to save ourselves.

10 pts may be enough possibly a couple more needed.

Vale, Chesterfield & Barnet have yet to visit BP.

I will go as far as to say win those 3 games and we will probably just do enough to stay up.

Fail to win any of those 3 games and it will be over. Boreham Wood, Ebbsfleet, Fylde and Salford City await......

I'd happily settle for 6 points from those 3 games and take our chances on getting a few more points on the others

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 57
thevera
March 3, 2018, 10:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Ipswin
I would love to know exactly what Jolley's brief is

Is it

1) avoid relegation at all costs (after all the last incumbent was sacked because under him we were in danger of relegation - no point in changing managers otherwise)

1a) mid table in Div 2 next season

1b) playoffs or better in Div 2 next season

1c) playoffs or better in Div 2 in 3 seasons

2) get us back into the FL first time if the worst should happen (we surely can't afford to be down there too long and if he gets a totally new squad in this Summer why not?)

3) build slowly and methodically hopefully with youngsters coming through to achieve FL status again in the same timescale it took Hurst (can we wait that long)

At what point will Jolley be regarded as having passed or failed his objectives?

Or would it be simpler to ask what has Fenty asked him to do and / or what has Jolley said he can achieve?

There's no doubt that his brief will be stay up this year at all costs.
Next year 75% of this squad will be gone and hopefully in Slade's words "we will be building John" and i will be more than happy to see something developing and happy with a settled squad of players who have bought in to the managers thoughts and ready for  a promotion challenge in season 20/21.
One thing is for sure if we did go down this season it is no fault of MJ's and nobody should be calling for his head until we have seen something similar to Slade's recruitment policy who has taken this club back 2 years and 8 years if we get relegated.
Give it your best shot Michael the whole Town needs a lift.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
GrimRob
March 3, 2018, 10:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Jolley's brief is to beat Port Vale. That's all he needs to think about. It's pointless thinking about who to sign next summer or even any game beyond Port Vale. Three points would be a massive boost and would lift the whole malaise which has been hanging over the club.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 57
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from thevera

There's no doubt that his brief will be stay up this year at all costs.

Next year 75% of this squad will be gone and hopefully in Slade's words "we will be building John" and i will be more than happy to see something developing and happy with a settled squad of players who have bought in to the managers thoughts and ready for  a promotion challenge in season 20/21.
One thing is for sure if we did go down this season it is no fault of MJ's and nobody should be calling for his head until we have seen something similar to Slade's recruitment policy who has taken this club back 2 years and 8 years if we get relegated.
Give it your best shot Michael the whole Town needs a lift.

Costs dont come into it do they ?  Unless MJ knows of some out of contract world beaters he can bring in he wont be able to spend a penny.

The only way the club could face further outgoings/ loss of money is if they lower the admission for the "big 3" games, give free beer and get Chubby Brown to do a centre circle gig pre match to raise the spirits of the crowd.

Wouldnt suprise me if the club actually put prices up this week and tried to market it as "see MJ's first game matchday experience" instead.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
RichMariner
March 3, 2018, 11:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
To be honest - and I may be in the minority here (so accuse me of not being very ambitious) - but when the future of your club is at stake, all I want is for us to stay up... and if we do, I'd be happy with mid-table next season *as long as* Jolley then starts implementing some of the things that were mentioned in the club statement when he was appointed, i.e. bringing youth through.

At least that way, if we're not pushing for promotion, we can still see some hope for the future and a philosophy being carved out. This will be a slow build but I'm willing to remain patient to make sure the foundations are rock solid.

Id' take anything better, obviously, but right now I just want stability, and some sign of a plan that means we won't have to endure another season like this.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
mimma
March 5, 2018, 1:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Why can't Jolley do what Hurst has done at Shrewsbury? They were worst off than us when he took over, saved them from relegation and the next season they are going for the title.

Why be so negative?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
dapperz fun pub
March 5, 2018, 6:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,912
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Everyone keeps talking about these youngsters we have but Clifton apart are there any more who could step up?

No our youth system is a joke tbh too many coaches with bigger egos than ability hence why we don’t produce players for the first team. We still have kids in the academy system who are there because of who they know rather than how good they are. Even Clifton swerved the academy for as long as possible only because local football became too easy for him , this needs to be a priority in the summer as well as recruiting a new team have a real serious look at why lads aren’t making the grade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
Cloudy
March 5, 2018, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

No our youth system is a joke tbh too many coaches with bigger egos than ability hence why we don’t produce players for the first team. We still have kids in the academy system who are there because of who they know rather than how good they are. Even Clifton swerved the academy for as long as possible only because local football became too easy for him , this needs to be a priority in the summer as well as recruiting a new team have a real serious look at why lads aren’t making the grade

You seem very bitter tbh.

The youth set up has had huge upheaval ( for the good) in the last 18 months under Neil Woods.
Prior to that it was bankrupt, that was why local kids were heading for Hulland Scunny. That flow has stopped now but if we are relegated the end is nigh
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
topuphere666
March 5, 2018, 7:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
This week has to be focused on getting 3 points Saturday. Failure to do so will stick us down in 22nd! I’ve every belief that MJ will be able to motivate the squad and build for the end of the season run in!

If we stay up I’m optimisitc about next season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Monday - The Start

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.