10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 12, 2018, 6:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,632
Gold Stars: 67
Living here for 40 years I think the truth lays somewhere in the middle of the two main opinions put forward..

There is no doubt that the Cup run coupled with a very successful league campaign was the main catalyst for the crowd increase. The fact that the FACup home matches were available at reduced prices meant quick sales and historically “regular” supporters missing out. This was capitalised upon with the sale of the mini- season tickets and going into this season fans not wanting to miss out gobbled up season tickets. All of which has been well supported by the CX, the Managers and good PR.

However, will the crowds stay if form disappeared and Lincoln return to the bottom half of league 2 playing poor football (a la us this season)? Hypothetically I believe a portion of the new fans will be hooked and stick around but I know dozens of guys who have literally jumped on the bandwagon after normally attending a couple of games per season and I also know that should the good ship sail away so would they and Lincoln would probably go down to a hard core fan base of around 3500 which is about 1200 more than before this started.

As for the Cowley brothers, disappointingly for us town fans, I have every reason to believe they will be here for at least two more years given their search to buy houses rather than live in those provided by the club. I think they are guys with integrity who will leave eventually but not until they have reached the pinnacle of their ambitions with Lincoln. Only danger to this in my mind is if a club like Ipswich came in for them, close to their roots, well run stable club which is basically a big version of Lincoln with a history of backing their Manager.

Dreading Saturday as my visit to the local is bound to be a constant ear bashing and p... taking event as cannot see us getting anything out the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
Limerick Mariner
March 12, 2018, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,653
Gold Stars: 136
But back on thread - are there any tickets left for Weds general sale, or am I going to miss out? If I do, I blame the Cowelys, last couple of times I've walked up and paid on the turnstile to go in the silly little stand down the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
immariner
March 12, 2018, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,405
Gold Stars: 59
If anyone can't make it and will have a ticket going (or two) I would be very grateful if you could keep me in mind to take it off your hands. Never missed a Town-Lincoln fixture since we dropped down to Lg2 and living in Lincoln, would be gutted not to be in the away end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 13, 2018, 9:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -325
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

We took about 30k I think on our first visit in 1998 and then it was about 26k when we were back there a few weeks later.

Yep, What did you take against Bristol Rovers in 2015?
Also against Village Green in 2016?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
Mariner_09
March 13, 2018, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
About 16k against Brizzle and 14k against FGR, bare in mind they were our 3rd and 4th visits to the new Wembley and 5th and 6th visits overall. Also they were our 2nd and 3rd visits in 2 and 3 years respectively.

I.e. that's not a great comparison. We took about 25k to the JPT final against MK Dons in 2008.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
Les Brechin
March 13, 2018, 9:35am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174

You asked "How many did we take when we were successful at the time", not "How many did we take when we were non-league fodder"  

As for that illegitimate Franchise Scum game in 2008, it would have been 1 more but I was in hospital having my head carved open (again) on that day.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
ginnywings
March 13, 2018, 9:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

Does it matter?

Both our clubs have the capacity to take over 20,000 fans to a final, dependent on circumstances at the time. Our support has held up pretty well considering we haven't had much to cheer about for well over a decade. We have lost a generation of fans in that time, whereas you have tapped into one by choosing the right manager. We are all at the mercy of our decision makers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
Meggie13
March 13, 2018, 11:27am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +5
Quoted from immariner
If anyone can't make it and will have a ticket going (or two) I would be very grateful if you could keep me in mind to take it off your hands. Never missed a Town-Lincoln fixture since we dropped down to Lg2 and living in Lincoln, would be gutted not to be in the away end.

I've a spare ST stub - I've sent you a PM. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
Jaws
March 13, 2018, 12:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11

I usually read this forum and enjoy it, few good posters, Ginnywings, BP Vicar - But I had to reply to this post.

Why is it hilarious, we have grown our fan-base on the back of our success, I am not sure what is funny with that?
That is what most teams do (Bar Scunny), and I hardly think they are plastic when the majority are season ticket holders and shelled out nearly 300 pound a piece. We should be commended and copied for the way we have worked on this, clearly appointing a high profile Chief executive who we got from Doncaster was a good appointment and he has accelerated the new 1m training ground which will be ready from next season..

We have sold almost 24k for Wembley with 3 weeks to go - What did you actually take when you have been there and were obviously successful at that time? I can't imagine it was many more than that when you were doing well?

Any way , Good Luck, bar Saturday, for the rest of the season.

You were dying as a club - copying our Operation Promotion to try and keep afloat. You got lucky and took a punt on 1 good manager after years of poor performances. You were never anyway near getting out of the conference until they came along. Couple of cupsets and people jumped on the bandwagon instantly, there was no steady increase over time. there was no plan; if you didn't have the Cowley's or  certain teams drawn in the FA cup you'd still be in the bottom half of the conference.

As for Wembley, we must have sold well over 100,000 tickets for it over the past 20 years... the novelty's worn off we've been that many times. Maybe we should ask how many tickets you sold to home games when you were in non league? How many season ticket holders did you have last season?
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 13, 2018, 12:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -325
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Jaws

You were dying as a club - copying our Operation Promotion to try and keep afloat. You got lucky and took a punt on 1 good manager after years of poor performances. You were never anyway near getting out of the conference until they came along. Couple of cupsets and people jumped on the bandwagon instantly, there was no steady increase over time. there was no plan; if you didn't have the Cowley's or  certain teams drawn in the FA cup you'd still be in the bottom half of the conference.

As for Wembley, we must have sold well over 100,000 tickets for it over the past 20 years... the novelty's worn off we've been that many times. Maybe we should ask how many tickets you sold to home games when you were in non league? How many season ticket holders did you have last season?

Because?
Whats the point of dwelling on History, you sound like Liverpool fans - Its about what is happening now?
Wembley is irrelevant - Last time you were there the attendance was 17k..I couldn't give a  Monkeys about that.
As for luck, with our crowd increase, success - Again ridiculous - You could say that about Burton, Fleetwood, and many others - The difference is we have capitalised on our success, you haven't. And at the moment we are some distance in front in terms of plans, finances and team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln ticket news

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.