nealeardleyscrossing
March 12, 2018, 4:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Civvy at last

To be fair it's a bit of a poison chalice really.  The competition that most fans disagree with at the moment and you pick it for your first time at Wembley.  I boycott it with a passion, but I can understand why you aren't.  I think there are more posts on here complimenting the way you have built your fan base than those having a pop.  Although, I can assure you that next Saturday I will be singing as loud as anyone   'Where where you when you were sh1t' ?  I think that's all we have left on you at the moment !!  To see your team come out at Wembley is a fantastic moment (whatever the occasion) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  We did the first few times but it can become a bit of a chore  .  Let's hope you have to steer clear of this forum come 3 O'clock on Sat.  But I'm not holding my breath on that one.  UTM  

I suppose it's not our fault that the two times we reached the play off final, Wembley was being rebuilt and we had to go to Cardiff.
Derby games are certainly a leveller but we seem to have come through our sticky patch, last two away games were decent results, We should have actually beaten Mansfield as we were well on top.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 12, 2018, 4:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I see comments on social media, your forums etc mocking our attendances, claiming we wouldn’t sell our allocation etc etc as though Lincoln are a much bigger club and haven’t just recently had a load of Jonny come-lately’s jumping on the back of some success. All of the fans who stuck by you throughout the non-league years deserve the success but the others can do one when it comes to ‘banter’. The joys of footballing success follows the barren years where your team is crap. Most of your current ‘fan base’ couldn’t even be arsed to come to our league game at SB two years ago when we are supposedly rivals. They’re no better than people who support Premier League teams because they’re successful and I have no time for then either.

No doubt you’ll claim you were one of the 400 who came to BP on NYD four years ago, but equally I imagine most of the 8000 there on Saturday would also probably claim the same.

I agree that your club has been run well and I wish our board had taken advantage of promotion euphoria but, alas, they were too short sighted.

I also resent reading comments on social media and your forums suggesting how bad our fan base are in terms of behaviour. Every club has idiots associated and Lincoln are up there with the worst of them, as has been documented several times this season already. The moral high ground some of your fan base has towards us is bizarre and misplaced.

In conclusion, well managed club but with the most fickle fan base in the FL with just as many unsavoury individuals amongst them as we have. The hilarious part is that your fans either can’t or won’t see that.

I'm 47 and have been to Grimsby games for the best part of 30 years, first being when you beat us 1-0, and David Gilbert scoring the winner. Was a lively day, all day.
You need to relax a bit and you're right every club has idiots as you club showed Saturday. To say we have the most fickle fan base, just is plain silly. We have built our fan-base, and we get decent crowds, everything is moving in the right direction, New training ground, record profits, new ground coming soon too. I am hopeful we will sustain this, I will be amazed if we go up this year as I don;t think we are ready, but hopefully with the 750k from the checkatrade we can get 2 or 3 decent players, to add to a decent squad and push on. Certainly I think we will be one of the stronger, best supported sides in the division next year.

As I said, bar Saturday, Good luck.with your last games. I have absolutely no doubt you will stay up. Chesterfield were poor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
mariner91
March 12, 2018, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,620
Gold Stars: 260

I'm 47 and have been to Grimsby games for the best part of 30 years, first being when you beat us 1-0, and David Gilbert scoring the winner. Was a lively day, all day.
You need to relax a bit and you're right every club has idiots as you club showed Saturday. To say we have the most fickle fan base, just is plain silly. We have built our fan-base, and we get decent crowds, everything is moving in the right direction, New training ground, record profits, new ground coming soon too. I am hopeful we will sustain this, I will be amazed if we go up this year as I don;t think we are ready, but hopefully with the 750k from the checkatrade we can get 2 or 3 decent players, to add to a decent squad and push on. Certainly I think we will be one of the stronger, best supported sides in the division next year.

As I said, bar Saturday, Good luck.with your last games. I have absolutely no doubt you will stay up. Chesterfield were poor.

You haven't "built" a fanbase, your attendances doubled in the space of three months when you went on a cup run. That isn't down to some grand masterplan from your board or some long term management that has seen an increase. It was people jumping on the bandwagon, pure and simple. Like I said previously, your board has done well to make the most of momentum that promotion gets you but don't make out they were the reason behind the big increase in attendances. Fickle fans who didn't want to come when you were shite and people who'd never been interested in you before some success were the driving factors behind that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
moosey_club
March 12, 2018, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91

You haven't "built" a fanbase, your attendances doubled in the space of three months when you went on a cup run. That isn't down to some grand masterplan from your board or some long term management that has seen an increase. It was people jumping on the bandwagon, pure and simple. Like I said previously, your board has done well to make the most of momentum that promotion gets you but don't make out they were the reason behind the big increase in attendances. Fickle fans who didn't want to come when you were shite and people who'd never been interested in you before some success were the driving factors behind that.

Does it actually matter where they came from ? Everything needs a catalyst, Lincoln had the cup run as theirs on the back of getting rid of a much maligned chairmen or directors if i recall correctly.
The thing that matters is that they retained the new fans by getting them to buy an ST for the next season.......after our most successful season ever in 98 i would doubt we doubled season ticket sales never mind trebled them....after winning promotion back to the league we added about 1000.....can you remember the Target 3000 campaign ?? Utterly pathetic.

For only our third season back in the league i expect the number of ST's to drop next year.  Hats off to Lincoln i am afraid as far as marketing goes.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 12, 2018, 5:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

You really have a very biased view - Success breeds new fans. We have capitalised on this. Family zone, etc, lots of interaction with schools and the community too, by the managers, SLO's etc.Your posts are just silly, they didn't come when we weer poor, because we had a poor management team, poor decision makers at the club too. Yes the Cup run helped, obviously, but your blinkered - which is fine, but there is much more to it than you can see down the A46.

The new Chief executive has built upon this, who is to say that we won't keep the fans through thick and thin, we have hardly been setting the world alight this season. We took nearly 2k to both Mansfield and Chesterfield, and sold nearly 4k for Coventry on the back of a 4-1 home defeat. People are buying in to what we are doing - Long may it continue. I would prefer to do it via success rather than Fenty banging in cash you didn't have, and that is the reason you are saddled with him.

We could have spent the 4 million turnover we had last season on a better team, but building a training complex for a million and spending on the infrastructure will stand us in good stead for the future. Long term view is better in my eyes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 12, 2018, 5:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Does it actually matter where they came from ? Everything needs a catalyst, Lincoln had the cup run as theirs on the back of getting rid of a much maligned chairmen or directors if i recall correctly.
The thing that matters is that they retained the new fans by getting them to buy an ST for the next season.......after our most successful season ever in 98 i would doubt we doubled season ticket sales never mind trebled them....after winning promotion back to the league we added about 1000.....can you remember the Target 3000 campaign ?? Utterly pathetic.

For only our third season back in the league i expect the number of ST's to drop next year.  Hats off to Lincoln i am afraid as far as marketing goes.

The chairman is still there - But we got Clive Nates, who has made us more Professional, pushed us on.
I actually thought I would get more love from the forum seeing as we battered Chesterfield for you Saturday!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
McAllisters Ghost
March 12, 2018, 5:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42

.... I would prefer to do it via success rather than Fenty banging in cash you didn't have, and that is the reason you are saddled with him.

I think that's a misconception you guys have.  We have a 2 million loan to him from money that was 'banged in' quite a while back - so thats over the decade plus he has been in tenure.  

A big part of where we are and why we got out of the league came from the fans raising money from Operation Promotion so you can't just put it down to the illusion that we were funded heavily by our chairman to buy our way out the league. Not even sure if we would have been in the top 5 budget for that league for that season.  

We haven't had Fenty 'banging in' the money, its been a story of doing things on the cheap and shopping bargain basement, two for the price of one signings and shipping out our only quality players to cut expenses - and thats a big part of exactly why we sit where we do now and face relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
nealeardleyscrossing
March 12, 2018, 5:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from McAllisters Ghost

I think that's a misconception you guys have.  We have a 2 million loan to him from money that was 'banged in' along time ago - so thats over the decade plus he has been in tenure.  

A big part of where we are and why we got out of the league came from the fans raising money from Operation Promotion so you can't just put it down to the illusion that we were funded heavily by our chairman to buy our way out the league. Not even sure if we would have been in the top 5 budget for that league for that season.  

We haven't had Fenty 'banging in' the money, its been a story of doing things on the cheap and shopping bargain basement, two for the price of one signings and shipping out our only quality players to cut expenses - and thats a big part of exactly why we sit where we do now and face relegation.

Sorry I meant more to the point, that unless he gets 2 million he would not go, which I imagine is a big ask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
McAllisters Ghost
March 12, 2018, 5:40pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42

Sorry I meant more to the point, that unless he gets 2 million he would not go, which I imagine is a big ask.

Sorry - yes it seems you are right on that count. And unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an attractive proposition to outsiders to work alongside him. There have been a couple of other investors come in to the club but they don't seem to stick around very long unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2018, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Lincoln have been, and are very well-managed.  This has largely come from FAC success and the appointment of a good management team.  Everything has been build on these foundations.  The Club is on the up at present. Good luck to them.  We should aspire to this success.

Football goes in cycles as we know.  Look where Lincoln were 5 years ago?  Who knows where they will be in 5 or 10 years time?    

The large increase in fans came quickly.  The vast majority, or majority of new fans, could disappear just as quickly with a sustained series of bad performances and results.   The managers will not be around in the long-term either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln ticket news

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.