Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who's really in charge tomorrow ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 251 Guests

Who's really in charge tomorrow ?

This thread currently has 4,431 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
mariner91
March 3, 2018, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
But he hasn't been afforded the opportunity to assess the whole squad, strengths, pweaknesses etc. There may be players that haven't had a look in recently that he thinks can play a part in his system perfectly.

Who knows, a Sam Kelly for instance could thrive under a new manager, with new ideas and tactics, just because he's been terrible under Slade didn't mean he can't be a useful squad member.

We've seen before how players can be rejuvenated and revitalised under a new manager, we may just be surprised.

Sam Kelly will never be a useful squad player. Technically he's fine but he has the heart of a gnat. I've never seen such a gutless player play for Town. Shirks every challenge, would rather run the ball out of play than face a challenge and the lack of desire and effort for the third goal at Crawley was disgusting. Truly one of our worst ever signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Abdul19
March 3, 2018, 10:11am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
At least we can get rid of him in the summ......oh

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Mighty_Mariner
March 3, 2018, 10:23am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from mariner91

Sam Kelly will never be a useful squad player. Technically he's fine but he has the heart of a gnat. I've never seen such a gutless player play for Town. Shirks every challenge, would rather run the ball out of play than face a challenge and the lack of desire and effort for the third goal at Crawley was disgusting. Truly one of our worst ever signings.

I agree in respect of Kelly being truly awful this season, and when I've seen him. Play he's offered less than nothing to the team. However, we shouldn't underestimate the effect a new manager can have on players. If anybody had said Luke Summerfield would be our regular, starting midfielder this time last year we'd have all said no chance.

Kelly clearly has some ability, it might just take the right manager to get the best out of him. Jon Nolan came to us with reviews of him being absolutely useless and we all know how that turned out.

Players perform differently under different managers, and different systems and tactics. I'm not holding my breath but it might just be that MJ has a system that gets the best out of the likes of Kelly.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
mariner91
March 3, 2018, 12:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I agree in respect of Kelly being truly awful this season, and when I've seen him. Play he's offered less than nothing to the team. However, we shouldn't underestimate the effect a new manager can have on players. If anybody had said Luke Summerfield would be our regular, starting midfielder this time last year we'd have all said no chance.

Kelly clearly has some ability, it might just take the right manager to get the best out of him. Jon Nolan came to us with reviews of him being absolutely useless and we all know how that turned out.

Players perform differently under different managers, and different systems and tactics. I'm not holding my breath but it might just be that MJ has a system that gets the best out of the likes of Kelly.

I would normally agree that a different system and a different manager can turn things around for a player. Obviously Summerfield is a good example of that. However, the big difference between him and Kelly is that Summerfield never lacked for effort or desire, he just wasn't in form last season. No matter what system you try to put Kelly in to he's still not going to track his man, he's still going to shy away from any sort of physical contact and he's still going to have absolutely no balls for the fight. I'd be hugely surprised if any manager can instill something that frankly he just doesn't have in him and probably never has done.

I'll  never forget the third game of the season away at Stevenage during the  opening exchanges and he got the ball high up the pitch with the right back out of position. The centre back came over to cover but didn't want to dive in so put a limited amount of pressure on Kelly without actively looking to make the tackle. Kelly didn't fancy it so just dribbled out of play. For a winger to be in such a promising position as that and to give up the ball so meekly is unforgivable. He's a complete bottlejob and he's shown it nearly every time he's been given a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
RonMariner
March 3, 2018, 12:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91

I would normally agree that a different system and a different manager can turn things around for a player. Obviously Summerfield is a good example of that. However, the big difference between him and Kelly is that Summerfield never lacked for effort or desire, he just wasn't in form last season. No matter what system you try to put Kelly in to he's still not going to track his man, he's still going to shy away from any sort of physical contact and he's still going to have absolutely no balls for the fight. I'd be hugely surprised if any manager can instill something that frankly he just doesn't have in him and probably never has done.

I'll  never forget the third game of the season away at Stevenage during the  opening exchanges and he got the ball high up the pitch with the right back out of position. The centre back came over to cover but didn't want to dive in so put a limited amount of pressure on Kelly without actively looking to make the tackle. Kelly didn't fancy it so just dribbled out of play. For a winger to be in such a promising position as that and to give up the ball so meekly is unforgivable. He's a complete bottlejob and he's shown it nearly every time he's been given a chance.

Similar thing happened at Cambridge. He ran with the ball until an opponent got within two or three yards and then simply leapt into the air before any challenge came in, leaving the ball behind. Maybe he has suffered a serious injury in the past?? But for whatever reason he hardly seems up for a relegation fight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
grimsby pete
March 3, 2018, 1:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Brian Clough turned average players into double European Cup winners,

I don't expect that from Michael Jolley but he could turn sub average L2  players into L1 good ones.

We can hope.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
barrattstandman
March 3, 2018, 1:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Afor all we know if he is any good ( from what we have seen fleetingly no ) then he could well do a Summerfield next season .  Time and a new manager will tell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
dapperz fun pub
March 3, 2018, 1:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from grimsby pete
Brian Clough turned average players into double European Cup winners,

I don't expect that from Michael Jolley but he could turn sub average L2  players into L1 good ones.

We can hope.

That’s not how I remember that forest team , didn’t they spend the first one million pounds player in Francis who scored the winner against Malmo. Forest had some fantastic players nothing average about any of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who's really in charge tomorrow ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.