HertsGTFC
March 2, 2018, 11:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,890
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from moosey_club

Negativity .. or  ...just refusing to get over excited about someone who has only managed an adult team once, for 4 months, in another country, and has a win rate of 22%.....but because he appears articulate and is coming to live here we should all roll over and let him tickle our bellies ?  

A good acadamy coach doesnt necessarily make a good first team manager.

I am admittedly nervous ...we are in real danger of getting sucked into a true relegation fight within a couple of games......he is a completely different style of appointment to what any of us have witnessed here before so some caution/trepidation should be expected ?  Add to that some of the club statement has echoes of the Bignot appointment, youth, developing talent, building , bringing players through....then 6 months later.!

The guy is clearly intelligent, has qualifications coming out of his ears ...only time will tell... but it takes more than a textbook PR exercise tweet to convince some of us that someone we hadnt heard of 3 weeks ago is the new messiah.

Firmly on the fence with this one until the season is over but obviously hoping he works wonders.  UTM

Considering our league position, cash position, some fans in revolt and a board with a clear exit plan who would you have appointed instead Moosey?

A positive day for sure but let’s not lose sight of the fact the club is a basket case at the moment.

I think it’s a positive appointed but reading the club statement and looking at his background he could just be the man to get us promoted next season...........from which league though I’m not too sure, I’ll have a clearer idea in May.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
OllieGTFC
March 2, 2018, 11:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
If he can get his messages across to that Sweden side then surely he can do it here

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
Maringer
March 2, 2018, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
I think it's a decent appointment, but let's not go overboard with things here. He's not achieved much in his career as yet so let's hope he can down and improve things very quickly given our rather limited squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 12:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,184
Gold Stars: 224
I really didnt have a particular name in mind....but i was looking for a candidate potentially from a lower league, with maybe 2/3 seasons behind them with something that indicates success on their C.V ..
As much as its grates i suppose we have to face facts,  that right now we arent a draw so , yes, who could i really expect ?

Its just after the last 18 months, especially the last month of Slades reign and the boards utter incompetence in allowing him to deal in the window how he did,  i am just struggling to find any real enthusiasm at the moment.

The board are still p1ssing me off to be honest...Bignot was announced as up and coming, big plans for long term sustainability, expanding the acadamy, infrastructure, additional development beyond 18 -19 yrs,.....then he gets the boot....Slade announced with reference to short term success, blitz the last squad apart, tonnes of loanees and by the time he left it was all about building something for the future.....now we are back to developing the youth , focus on bringing through our own like Harry Clifton ...FFS he has been a pro for a couple of seasons now and has just made his full debut under his fourth (?) manager . Hardly a shining example of the club bringing players through is it. ( not a dig at Harry as he has deserved much more IMO )  

This appointment appears to be more of a longer term strategy and with his previous we will no doubt be looking at a more youthful squad next season i suppose.....can you win anything with kids ? ...at least he has a pretty clean slate to start with next season squad numbers wise ....but i just have a horrible feeling in my gut.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2018, 12:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,890
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from moosey_club
I really didnt have a particular name in mind....but i was looking for a candidate potentially from a lower league, with maybe 2/3 seasons behind them with something that indicates success on their C.V ..
As much as its grates i suppose we have to face facts,  that right now we arent a draw so , yes, who could i really expect ?

Its just after the last 18 months, especially the last month of Slades reign and the boards utter incompetence in allowing him to deal in the window how he did,  i am just struggling to find any real enthusiasm at the moment.

The board are still p1ssing me off to be honest...Bignot was announced as up and coming, big plans for long term sustainability, expanding the acadamy, infrastructure, additional development beyond 18 -19 yrs,.....then he gets the boot....Slade announced with reference to short term success, blitz the last squad apart, tonnes of loanees and by the time he left it was all about building something for the future.....now we are back to developing the youth , focus on bringing through our own like Harry Clifton ...FFS he has been a pro for a couple of seasons now and has just made his full debut under his fourth (?) manager . Hardly a shining example of the club bringing players through is it. ( not a dig at Harry as he has deserved much more IMO )  

This appointment appears to be more of a longer term strategy and with his previous we will no doubt be looking at a more youthful squad next season i suppose.....can you win anything with kids ? ...at least he has a pretty clean slate to start with next season squad numbers wise ....but i just have a horrible feeling in my gut.

Good post and numerous fair points, I too feel a little ground down with all matters GTFC.

I think it’s a good appointment but a “just in case” appointment as well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
ginnywings
March 3, 2018, 12:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,086
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

That's what i was hoping for too, and if they couldn't save us, at least they would know the league below. Our best recruits on the pitch have mostly come from non league in recent seasons and i'm not sure how much the new guy knows about the players at that level, or the league itself. I'm more than happy with the direction the club have gone in, but it's still a bit of a gamble that he has sufficient experience to keep us up. If we do stay up, i think he has the potential to quickly get to grips with things.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
forza ivano
March 3, 2018, 12:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Can see where you're coming from moosey, but we're on a 13 game run without a win, we can't sign any players, the club and its fanbase are at war why would any decent non league manager come here. He's done everything we wanted, no middle men, no bullshiite p.r. statements, he hasn't turned us down , he's seen several games, took his time and is going to move here. I really don't think we could've asked for anything more given our plight. Remember this is a team that hasn't forced the opposition goalkeeper to make a save in over 3 hours of football. Christ he only has to help fashion a chance where their keeper has to pull off a worldie and we'll think he's the new guardiola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Cloudy
March 3, 2018, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Moosey makes several good points including the club statement.

I think it has a lot to do with telling the fans what they want to hear. All this talk about bringing the youth through together with youngsters from the Prem/championship who have just fell short is exactly what I have been reading on Twitter from some of the more articulate Town fans over the last 3 weeks.

Don't get me wrong I think it is exactly the way to go but time will tell if the board are true to their word
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
RonMariner
March 3, 2018, 12:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,533
Gold Stars: 224
I think this guy has real potential, so let's help him achieve it.  

Let's get behind him and become the 12th man that all relegation threatened teams need to avoid the drop.

Let's show him that we are all in this together.

Let's also give him some slack, and not be calling for his head if he loses a couple.  Thanks to Slade the magnitude of his task should not be underestimated. He is taking over a mediocre and demotivated squad, who's confidence has been shot to pieces, and who have had the crowd on their backs for weeks.

If he can keep us up this year, that's good enough for me. Then he can build a new team in the summer and be judged on that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley tweet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.