Logged Offline
Private Message
Pouton4ever
February 23, 2018, 7:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244
Said they have a short list but are interest in hearing from more people. Questioned why players like Sol Campbell would say there's no management opportunitys when he hasn't applied. Said Askey has seemingly decided to stay at Macc. Also that they will take their time but would like a manager installed with 7 or so games left to go. Also that Wilko is a great coach and would like him as part of the set up even when someone is appointed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
chaos33
February 23, 2018, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Oh god

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Pouton4ever
February 23, 2018, 7:12pm
Beer Drinker
Sorry I tried to edit my last post and deleted it by mistake- wasn't trying to be incendiary just that there was nothing to go "oh god" about- it was actually, in my humble opinion, a good interview- nothing to get riled or worried about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
moosey_club
February 23, 2018, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Well....i like that it sounds like we are just not accepting we have to appoint someone so are looking for further applicants perhaps...

however he has also said younger applicants and people who have just finished playing...call me cynical but that sounds like cheap applicants.

and keen to keep Wilko as part of it.....JF put the dynamic duo together which clearly hasnt worked.....most managers have assistants/ friends/ associates they trust and want to work with....surely John this could also put applicants off an already hard sell...not won in 13, hardly scoring, deflated squad, no room for manouvre on new players AND you also have to work with Wilko

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
headingly_mariner
February 23, 2018, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,319
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
Well....i like that it sounds like we are just not accepting we have to appoint someone so are looking for further applicants perhaps...

however he has also said younger applicants and people who have just finished playing...call me cynical but that sounds like cheap applicants.

and keen to keep Wilko as part of it.....JF put the dynamic duo together which clearly hasnt worked.....most managers have assistants/ friends/ associates they trust and want to work with....surely John this could also put applicants off an already hard sell...not won in 13, hardly scoring, deflated squad, no room for manouvre on new players AND you also have to work with Wilko

Absolutely. We've got no appetite to bring in a management team and it seems we've already been snubbed by our 3 top targets in McCall, Brown and Askey. We could end up with someone with zero experience dealing with what is a huge mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
davmariner
February 23, 2018, 7:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Thanks, well I guess we can put that Askey rumour to bed.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
H19P1
February 23, 2018, 7:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Who's next in the rumour?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
Davec
February 23, 2018, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
To be fair to Wilko he has coached at a higher level and is seemingly a well respected coach, but I have reservations as his suitability as an assistant manager, I wonder if Wilko would he willing to drop down to a coach if a new manager would like to bring in his own assistant.

Has anybody got a link please of what Fenty said?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
Balthazar Bullitt
February 23, 2018, 7:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05x0mpc#play[/url]

Starts about 23 minutes in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
Meza
February 23, 2018, 8:09pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from moosey_club

Or like me is sick of seeing the same boring applicants i.e merry go-round managers and wants someone new, someone fresh like PH, DC etc

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
Jarmo.Is.God
February 23, 2018, 8:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Sounds to me like he's after a young manager who has not long retired, Nolan at county for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
GrimRob
February 23, 2018, 9:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Very encouraging that he wants a "young, hungry manager".

Reading between the lines the shortlist isn't really good enough, otherwise it wouldn't be a shortlist any more would it?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 44
forza ivano
February 23, 2018, 9:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Sounds like someone who's getting a bit desperate. 3 people turned him down, rest of the short list are obviously Shiite and he's reduced to pleading through the media for anyone with any ability to apply. I'm beginning to despair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
GrimRob
February 23, 2018, 9:26pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Quoted from forza ivano
Sounds like someone who's getting a bit desperate. 3 people turned him down, rest of the short list are obviously Shiite and he's reduced to pleading through the media for anyone with any ability to apply. I'm beginning to despair

I think it's a good move. He's effectively saying there's a job for the taking if you are a player towards the end of your career looking for a club. We really need someone young and enthusiastic to get the place buzzing again! The word will soon spread on the football grapeline that there's a chance here for somone. There's only around 100 professional clubs and we're not in financial difficulty so it's the perfect point for someone to launch a career! Look what Buckley achieved in this very division when he took over!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 44
forza ivano
February 23, 2018, 9:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Sorry I think it's desperation.if he'd wanted that type of manager he'd have come out 2 weeks ago and said it. The fact he's only said it now having been turned down by 3 experienced managers shows he's run out of options. It's got all the makings of a disaster arrogant, ex pro who's probably richer than fenty up against a man who's never been wrong in his life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
Ipswin
February 23, 2018, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from forza ivano

Its turning into another fiasco, the joke club of the Football League does it again, Fenty intercourse-up #12.

No one wants the bloody job and who can blame them

We could easily end up with one of the Fishy applicants (Big Chris?)

Whoever eventually gets it will need a tracksuit with '15th choice' on the back

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
Garth
February 23, 2018, 10:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from forza ivano
Sorry I think it's desperation.if he'd wanted that type of manager he'd have come out 2 weeks ago and said it. The fact he's only said it now having been turned down by 3 experienced managers shows he's run out of options. It's got all the makings of a disaster arrogant, ex pro who's probably richer than fenty up against a man who's never been wrong in his life

Its not his fault if the ones he wanted have decided to either stay or go elsewhere, he may be part of the course of them refusing
but he cannot press gang them into it, no rush in my opinion see who comes forward out of unknowns.

Until then get behind Wilki, you never know you may be suprised
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
olimariner
February 23, 2018, 10:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +12
Cheap, that’s it we know what the option is that the board are looking for cheap end of....All of the managers we have been linked with have turned us down because we are a cheap club offering cheap contracts no doubt. When Macclesfield manager who isn’t getting paid on time turns us down it just shows what we are up against....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2018, 10:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Pouton4ever
Said they have a short list but are interest in hearing from more people. Questioned why players like Sol Campbell would say there's no management opportunitys when he hasn't applied. Said Askey has seemingly decided to stay at Macc. Also that they will take their time but would like a manager installed with 7 or so games left to go. Also that Wilko is a great coach and would like him as part of the set up even when someone is appointed

Strewth. The man's clueless. He should leave the manager to pick his own staff. We're already restricting any new manager by appointing him after the transfer window has closed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
rancido
February 24, 2018, 12:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from olimariner
Cheap, that’s it we know what the option is that the board are looking for cheap end of....All of the managers we have been linked with have turned us down because we are a cheap club offering cheap contracts no doubt. When Macclesfield manager who isn’t getting paid on time turns us down it just shows what we are up against....

Do you have any evidence to support this? Do you categorically know what Slade was on or Hurst or in fact what is on offer to any manager? It's very easy to speculate but you have no facts to back up your statement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
realist
February 24, 2018, 12:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Its called a debate/conversation Rancido - you present your point of view and the recipient decides if it is credible or not.  Why this constant thirst for evidence - it is not always there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
rancido
February 24, 2018, 12:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from realist
Its called a debate/conversation Rancido - you present your point of view and the recipient decides if it is credible or not.  Why this constant thirst for evidence - it is not always there.

I understand debate/conversation but stating something is a "cheap" approach comes over as a statement of fact. If the poster had said " in my opinion " then that is debate. There is always evidence but whether it can be found is another matter. As regards what is on offer to a prospective manager, that will be known to JF and one or two others at the club but having it divulged is not available unless they wish to reveal it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
Stadium
February 24, 2018, 1:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from rancido

I understand debate/conversation but stating something is a "cheap" approach comes over as a statement of fact. If the poster had said " in my opinion " then that is debate. There is always evidence but whether it can be found is another matter. As regards what is on offer to a prospective manager, that will be known to JF and one or two others at the club but having it divulged is not available unless they wish to reveal it.

???
It's an internet forum,if you want the truth head towards the OS.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
chaos33
February 24, 2018, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from forza ivano

This

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
Mrs Doyle
February 24, 2018, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from olimariner

Sorry since when did lashing out vasts amount of money guarantee success?  We probably need a virtual new squad next season that doesn't come cheap you have to cut your cloth to suit.

It's up to the board to juggle finances unless somebody wins the Lotto and donates and least ten million to the cub with no conditions attached.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2018, 4:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Stadium

???
It's an internet forum,if you want the truth head towards the OS.

That's a matter of opinion  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Grimsby2012
February 24, 2018, 4:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
After the Poor show today.I think it's obvious Wilko isn't getting the job. He may need time for his style to work, Unfortunately we don't have that at the moment..

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
RoboCod
February 24, 2018, 6:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Grimsby2012
After the Poor show today.I think it's obvious Wilko isn't getting the job. He may need time for his style to work, Unfortunately we don't have that at the moment..

Trouble is, with every defeat we move closer to the trapdoor and the choice of manager is whittled down even further. No one of any significance wanted it prior to today, there'll be even less wanting to take on a 5th from bottom team, and no one with any sanity will be interested after the next defeat.
Wilko has it until the end of the season I feel, simply because no one of any worth else wants it.

The House of Slade should have been pulled down before Xmas, not just the facade, not just the walls but the wonky foundations and a new ones put in place. Short of a time machine we're without hope, how on earth did Slade manage to stay here, in charge of team affairs through the most crucial transfer window in our history, allowed to stay and vandalise the club further. Shameful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Ipswin
February 24, 2018, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Grimsby2012

With all the excrement he's getting after just two games, why would he want it?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
ackomariner
February 24, 2018, 6:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Askey wanted to bring Brian Horton as his number 2, who been with him for six years but Fenty wanted PW as his number 2.
That's why he's staying put at Macclesfield

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
oldun
February 24, 2018, 6:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
To be fair the fans did not have a go at Wilki or the players today. They were quite supportive, don't let Fenty tell you otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
ginnywings
February 24, 2018, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ackomariner
Askey wanted to bring Brian Horton as his number 2, who been with him for six years but Fenty wanted PW as his number 2.

I feel this issue will be a sticking point. I imagine that Brown was in the same boat. The job comes with an incumbent assistant. JF said as much on the radio the other night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
davmariner
February 24, 2018, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from ackomariner

Correct. Seems he’s trying to force Wilko on any potential new manager.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
TwoLeftFeet
February 24, 2018, 7:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
New manager needs to bring his own assistant in we should be backing them and giving him the tools he needs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
February 24, 2018, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
New manager needs to bring his own assistant in we should be backing them and giving him the tools he needs

Its not even a difficult conundrum to solve is it? Have the new man bring his own assistant in, and  keep Wilko on in a coaching role or whatever for the time being.

Fenty has been far too complacent during the last 3 months, but he won't be when he sees tonights league table. Too late now - nobody who would be in our top 5 targets will put their reputation on the line in a situation like this as it is too much of a gamble from their point of view.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Pouton4ever
February 24, 2018, 8:02pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

This is rubbish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
IlkleyMariner
February 24, 2018, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,980
Gold Stars: 69
If gtfc has lost out on its preferred targets as manager because Fenty insisted on keeping wilco he is a bigger idiot than I took him for.
Personally don't believe that. Probably more a case of not being prepared to pay the going rate for a successful manager.
Either way I am out as they say on dragons den.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
ackomariner
February 24, 2018, 8:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I feel this issue will be a sticking point. I imagine that Brown was in the same boat. The job comes with an incumbent assistant. JF said as much on the radio the other night.

Could well of been the same circumstances with Brown, but that chapters gone now. So on to the next one....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
HertsGTFC
February 24, 2018, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from ackomariner

Really? Who told you that then?

Obviously the same person who said Brown had been offered the job when he was actually on holiday in Cuba and didn’t get back until Thursday  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
ackomariner
February 24, 2018, 8:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Really? Who told you that then?

Obviously the same person who said Brown had been offered the job when he was actually on holiday in Cuba and didn’t get back until Thursday  

Someone down dock...

The second part of your question, you've got yourself in a muddle because I've never stated anywhere that Brown was offered the position...

You'll be a long while looking back through the posts and when you find it you can post it up....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Cloudy
February 24, 2018, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ackomariner

Horton hasn't been at Macclesfield for years!

You don't half post some lies!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 24, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,647
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ackomariner

Someone down dock...

The second part of your question, you've got yourself in a muddle because I've never stated anywhere that Brown was offered the position...

You'll be a long while looking back through the posts and when you find it you can post it up....

Horton has been Brown’s number two at a number of clubs so I think you may crossed your wires somewhere along the way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
HertsGTFC
February 24, 2018, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from ackomariner

Someone down dock...

Did I say you posted the Brown thing? Nope! Read back my post.

If I where you I'd ask Brian Horton  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
Pouton4ever
February 24, 2018, 10:54pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Pouton4ever

This is rubbish

I got a load of red crosses for saying this is rubbish and it genuinely is- a quick check of even Wikipedia will tell you that https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Horton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty on Askey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.