16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
February 24, 2018, 9:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
When Tony Adams took his first step into management at Wycombe it was a train crash. He thought they'd be able to operate at the same level as Arsenal and the root issue was that he'd never experienced the lower leagues
Can't help thinking Sol might have the same problem, especially when he sees the players he has to deal with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 152
headingly_mariner
February 24, 2018, 9:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well? He doesn't need to work and that worries me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 152
MarinerDevil
February 24, 2018, 9:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
I'm not sure why we're conducting a policy of waiting for the right candidate to apply.  Don't most league clubs identify their targets and approach them?  Either JF is trying to make the job market competitive to increase interest among potential candidates, or he genuinely wants to appoint Sol Campbell.

We need a sensible recruitment policy.  That means looking for managers who are on form and whom we can realistically attract.  I personally wouldn't be interested in ex-Prem players/pundits unless they'd managed successfully at a lower level.  

Good to hear that we're looking for young managers, but a rookie surely isn't what we need right now.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 152
Abdul19
February 24, 2018, 9:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well?

Like the time he walked out of Arsenal at half time and went to Brussels!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 152
jamesgtfc
February 24, 2018, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Sol Campbell would be Bignot amplified.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 152
RoboCod
February 24, 2018, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well? He doesn't need to work and that worries me.

You can ask Trinidad andf Tobago. "And, on his stint as Trinidad assistant, three wins from 14 games hardly screams a side who are being coached by one of the greatest minds in football.
On March 24, 2017, Campbell proclaimed he was going to be involved in the Trinidad set-up "for the long run". Eleven months later, he is moaning that he has been unable to get a managerial job in England - if you were a chairman, would you want to appoint a man who is actively courting jobs so soon after taking one?
"

Taken from
[url]https://www.devonlive.com/sport/sport-opinion/sol-campbell-been-arsenal-tottenham-1250528[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 152
forza ivano
February 24, 2018, 10:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Can't believe that some on here are literally torn between yes or no!
It wasn't that long ago since he was going to put his hat in the ring for Mayor of London. He is deluded and not particuarly stable in my eyes. He is a car crash waiting to happen and would potentially make any club a laughing stock.

This in spades, plus old uns comment that sol Campbell is all about sol Campbell.

No,no,no,no,no,no,no, and even more no after listening to that interview.

He's got a beautiful house near barnet, he ain't going to live here and can you really, honestly, truly believe that he's going to be going out every night to watch games n players like hurst does?
If he was that committed to getting a job he'd be applying every job, non league or league, that was going.id be surprised if he even knew there was a job going at gtfc
It maybe that fenty, in absolute desperation, has unintentionally pulled off a bit of a p.r. Coup  and will now get some applications from some candidates who have some potential, but in my eyes sol is at the bottom of the list

Ps he is so committed that he took a job coaching in trinny helping them towards the World Cup. Real, tough gig that one............don't how he coped with a 12 month working holiday in the windies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 152
ginnywings
February 24, 2018, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

He's clearly not talking about surrounding himself with other managers, he's talking about Scout, Coaches, and people who can advise him.

Yeah, i realise that. Again i ask, why not just employ somebody who doesn't need people to explain to him how lower level football works? It would be like when Bobby Charlton became manager of Preston and he expected the players to be able to do what he could do, until they explained that if they could, they wouldn't be playing for Preston.

I'm all for wealthy ex players putting money back into the game, but not as managers of lower level clubs, jumping the queue because of their wealth and profile. It just smacks of the managerial equivalent of a rich mans plaything.

Remember Edgar Davids? Took over Barnet and they were relegated to non league, where he carried on as player manager. He gave himself the Number 1 shirt, was booked and sent off a record number of times, and then decided he didn't want to manage at away games involving an overnight stay and sent his Dutch mate instead, whom he had installed as head coach.

Massive ego, no thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 152
jonnyboy82
February 24, 2018, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Actually thought about it ..

No thanks .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 152
grimsby pete
February 24, 2018, 11:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I did not want him before I listened to that piece and I am sure he does not want to come to us,

If he was interested he would have applied,

Good bit of PR from Fenty though ( did I really say that )  

It might get some other young ex pro wanting to start with us,

Whoever it is I will give him 100% backing to start with  and hope he succeeds,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 152
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sol campbell😭

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.