Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,175
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Best form of defence ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

And if that fails ATTACK again.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Garth
February 23, 2018, 11:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Don`t keep moving stuff around, it took me ten minutes to find some wood screws yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
RichMariner
February 23, 2018, 1:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Losing is never what anyone wants, but at this moment in time I'd begrudgingly accept a 4-3 defeat where we at least show we can attack and score goals, rather than lose 2-0 where we don't even trouble their goalkeeper.

Of course, I'd take a horrible, scrappy 1-0 win over all of that!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Roast Em Bobby
February 23, 2018, 2:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Normally I'g agree that attack is the best form of defence. However, that only applies if you are capable of attacking. Let's face it our attacking threat is currently limited to trying to put a decent ball into the box and failing miserably on every single occasion.

In the last two games we have attacked quite a lot in the 1st half but our ability to create decent chances is near to non-existent. To make matters worse in both games a quick punt up field a mistake by Osbourne and we've been one down and heads have then dropped.

In the last 4 games we've conceded 10 and scored 2. We need to get back to basics imho  and aim for a clean sheet first and foremost. Goal difference could end up being crucial and with the best will in the world we are not going to score our way to a better goal difference. If we can nick a goal from a set-piece or corner (pretty unlikely) then brilliant.

I'd go for this line up

McKeown
Mills Collins Osbourne Clarke Suliman Dixon
Summerfield Berret Rose Mcallister

PARK THE BUS
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Abdul19
February 23, 2018, 2:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Normally I'g agree that attack is the best form of defence. However, that only applies if you are capable of attacking. Let's face it our attacking threat is currently limited to trying to put a decent ball into the box and failing miserably on every single occasion.

In the last two games we have attacked quite a lot in the 1st half but our ability to create decent chances is near to non-existent. To make matters worse in both games a quick punt up field a mistake by Osbourne and we've been one down and heads have then dropped.

In the last 4 games we've conceded 10 and scored 2. We need to get back to basics imho  and aim for a clean sheet first and foremost. Goal difference could end up being crucial and with the best will in the world we are not going to score our way to a better goal difference. If we can nick a goal from a set-piece or corner (pretty unlikely) then brilliant.

I'd go for this line up

McKeown
Mills Collins Osbourne Clarke Suliman Dixon
Summerfield Berret Rose Mcallister

PARK THE BUS

That's really something - a team with no attacking players and it's still got a soft centre  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Roast Em Bobby
February 23, 2018, 2:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Don't agree, he's not that bad a tackler - its everything else he's cack at
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
RichMariner
February 23, 2018, 2:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
When you're in a hole and need a victory I personally don't think you go defensive.

So we set up to not concede; keep a clean sheet.

If we concede after 20 minutes, then what? If it's all square at 0-0 with 20 minutes to go, do you think us fans want to see us play out a goalless draw at that point?

I think we need to accept that we are not good at defending, so the improvements need to be in attack. Accept that we'll probably concede - form suggests we will - and throw all our efforts up front.

Goals breed confidence better than clean sheets do. It also entertains the fans and gives them some hope for future games.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Roast Em Bobby
February 23, 2018, 3:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
When you're in a hole and need a victory I personally don't think you go defensive.

So we set up to not concede; keep a clean sheet.

If we concede after 20 minutes, then what? If it's all square at 0-0 with 20 minutes to go, do you think us fans want to see us play out a goalless draw at that point?

I think we need to accept that we are not good at defending, so the improvements need to be in attack. Accept that we'll probably concede - form suggests we will - and throw all our efforts up front.

Goals breed confidence better than clean sheets do. It also entertains the fans and gives them some hope for future games.

You could also say what happens if you go all out attack and your 1-0 down after 20 minutes.

I agree none of us want to watch boring 0-0 games, but the very first thing survival experts like Warnock, Pullis, Allardyce do when they take over a club in freefall is to concentrate on clean sheets and then build confidence from there.

I think we've already been trying the all out attack strategy (as best we can) in recent games and on each occasion we've been picked off and beaten easily. Continuing the same approach and expecting a different end result is a sign of madness.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
wizbit
February 23, 2018, 4:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +36
Just simply go for it surely it creates a better atmosphere if the team actually look like we trying to win a game rather than sitting back hoping not to concede.
Besides we never look like recovering from conceding the first goal just get at them play with some urgency and don't sit back should we score a goal keep attacking you never know it might even be entertaining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message for Wilko

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.