This thread currently has 2,147 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Simariner
February 21, 2018, 10:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
1st time Heading to NYC in June for 7 nights!!

Any advice, tips, places to see and do, things in the evening (bars ect) would be great please

The only thing I've booked so far is the trip to the Statue of Liberty as needed to book early to get the Crown access.

Any advice on preferred bus or tube travel ect.

(We have booked a boutque apartment a few blocks from Central Park in Upper East Side)

Thank you
Si
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
ponnyfan
February 21, 2018, 10:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
The best Observation Deck is definitely the Top of the Rock for best all round views of the City and definitely worth a trip up. Madison Square Garden is a great experience for sports fans and worth taking in a Knicks game if they are at home. Travel on the subway, its cheap and safe. Delis are great for eating on the run and very cheap. Lots of bars, too numerous to mention. It’s a fantastic City, hope you have an amazing time.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
ponnyfan
February 21, 2018, 10:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Also if you’re going in June. Take the subway out of Manhattan through Brooklyn and in about 50 minutes you will be in Coney Island on the Atlantic. Great on a nice day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Simariner
February 21, 2018, 10:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Ahhh funnily enough I saw a program about Coney Island the other day.
Thanks mate

On the list!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 10
ska face
February 21, 2018, 10:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,525
Gold Stars: 831
Depends what you’re into mate, we went in October for my birthday and loved it. Been before but was loads better this time around.

Transport is easy on the metro, even easier than the tube, just download the subway app. We walked everywhere though, it’s not hard to find places thanks to the grid pattern system.

Deffo do the Highline (Chelsea area), museum mile, have a few hours in Washington Square Park early one evening, Greenwich Village area is nice too. Rent a rowing boat in Central Park, $15 an hour. Walk along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade & take a trip over the Brooklyn Bridge. Not sure if they’re really your thing but we enjoyed Williamsburg & Bushwick, there’s meant to be a really good street food market (Smorgasbord) that way on every Saturday.

Times Sq is good to say you’ve been but it’s a bit boring once you’ve had 5 mins there and the 9/11 museum was a waste of time, unless you’re into failed actors doing mawkish tours around bits of rubble. Little Italy & Chinatown were toss an’all.

You’ll never struggle for good & drink - we just googled whatever we fancied eating plus the neighbourhood we were in & you’re never more than 5 mins walk from somewhere decent.

I’d go back there tomorrow if I could.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Simariner
February 22, 2018, 8:16am

Brandy Drinker
Great stuff Ska Face.  
A few things there to give a go...  

Did you have a plan per day or did you just go with the flow...  Obviously some things would have to be booked in advance.

She want to see a show which I'm not that fussed about but will end up doing one to keep her sweet lol
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 10
ponnyfan
February 22, 2018, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Definitely have a loosely laid plan of your priority attractions as the time flys by quickly. When traveling to Liberty/Ellis Island leave as early as possible to avoid horrendous queues for the Ferries.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Simariner
February 22, 2018, 8:31pm

Brandy Drinker
Great stuff. Thanks.

I guess it's worth while getting a 'NewYork Pass' for numerous attractions...?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 10
ginnywings
February 23, 2018, 12:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
I know nothing of the east coast, having never been that side, but two of my sister's went for New Year and they loved it. They too said they would go back tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Grim74
February 23, 2018, 9:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
View from the Empire State Building ain't bad apart from that it's crap couldn't wait to get out of the place a weekend there was far to long.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NewYork advice

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.