1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 20, 2018, 10:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,677
Gold Stars: 73
Been thinking a lot about my life supporting town and whilst I first attended a match in 1965, like many my age the real passion for GTFC was born in that 71/72 season.

Looking back we scored goals, won matches had Brace & Tees up front, but the real memory is that atmosphere that prevailed at BP, it was so passionate and loud the hairs on your neck did stand up and brought tears to our eyes.

Many of us posting today were teenagers or, a little older or, a little younger, but none of us will forget that atmosphere, the Pontoon full from top to bottom getting pushed, pushing jumping (sadly singing how we loved Harry Roberts) and sweeping down to the front when a goal was scored. I will swear that season was the first time I heard the Marineeeers chant, but may be wrong, and it felt like this emanated from the old Barratt Stand who would always get behind the club.

The thing is this was not just us youn uns having a good time but middle aged guys letting rip after a tough day at work. Now we are those middle aged, or to the teenagers elderly, fans and what do most of us do? Sit there in silence grumbling, o atmosphere, crap team, too cold and Fenty out.

All of which is currently true but we have been in trouble before, mainly before social media was so readily available, and what did we do? We became the 12th man, we packed BP, we travelled in our thousands to Notts County, Bournemouth etc and we backed the team.

We have to accept we are a poor team with some poor players but the only thing in their favour is that in my opinion they give 100%. Maybe, just maybe, if we recreate the atmosphere from 71/72, the late seventies, early and late eighties and again the 1990’s with Buckley’s army and those awful years from 2007 until 2010 when we had some big relegation battles, we could actually make the difference and just get us those 3 or 4 wins we need.

Certainly will not be easy but if we are really up for it that may get this latest shower to produce that extra 10% which will get us over the line. I was going to stop going this season and sit at home sulking how crap we are but what good will that do, none. It does not help the team and saves me a few quid. But no I am going to attend as many games as possible and back the team, however bad they are because if the worst happens at least I will know I did all I can.

So let’s hope for a new Manager and whoever let’s give him a chance with a great BP welcome backed by Denni, Tag the Codfather and all others who have been staying away.

Once the battle is won on the field maybe we can look at winning the war off it and get the change required to take the club forwards.

UTM and see you Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
February 20, 2018, 11:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good call LM.

However support inside the ground and calling for regime change outside it are not mutually exclusive.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The fans-our time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.