3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
BottesfordMariner
February 19, 2018, 8:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
My initial reaction is neither of them tbh.

Even taking the result on Saturday aside Wilko simply does not inspire me at all. Askey is doing alright at Macc this season but apart form that has achieved nothing of note.

When Slade was thankfully relieved of his duties there were a number of names being mentioned  McCall...Brown....

I cannot help but feel we are going for the cheaper options AGAIN. i fully appreciate at our level there will be budget constraints but when will Fenty finally wake up and realise consistently going for the cheaper (=unproven) option usually ends badly. We have gone for cheaper (inferior) players and as the say you get what you pay for. We need an experienced manager with some kind of track record to get much more out of this group. Wilko is not that guy....is Askey??

Town simply must survive this season. We are in free-fall right now.  As of now we ARE the worst team in the league. We have struggled to score all season and now our ageing defence is conceding goals with increasing regularity. Another relegation is something I am not sure we will recover from. And then Fenty your benign loans will be flipping worthless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
TAGG
February 19, 2018, 9:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Cloudy

Tbf you wouldn't be happy if it was between Mourinho & Guardiola!

Well according to you the choice between Wilko & the other bloke is a good one.
Is it you who has been advising Fenty on his disastrous managerial appointments???

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
EY Mariner
February 19, 2018, 9:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
If it is a choice between Paul Wilkinson and John Askey, I choose the latter every time. Considering the financial constraints that it has become clear he is working under at Macclesfield, he has done an excellent job there. For as long as the present regime is in place, our manager will have to work under tight budgetary restrictions. I suspect Askey has more chance of doing that, and building a competitive side in the process, than any of the higher profile candidates that have been mentioned. Wilkinson had a public job interview on Saturday and, in my opinion, he failed badly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Jarmo.Is.God
February 19, 2018, 9:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Why is Askey a cheap option?

Because he manages the league below?

Slade was probably our highest paid manager in a long time, look how that went.

There is no such thing as a cheap option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
ginnywings
February 19, 2018, 9:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
If it is Askey, won't the answer to the question be both of them, rather than either/or? Wilko will probably keep his assistant job won't he? He does have a lot of experience and contacts at a higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
Abdul19
February 19, 2018, 9:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from ginnywings
Wilko will probably keep his assistant job won't he?  

I hope not!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Cloudy
February 19, 2018, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from TAGG

Well according to you the choice between Wilko & the other bloke is a good one.
Is it you who has been advising Fenty on his disastrous managerial appointments???

Please point out where I have suggested the choice between 'Wilko & the other bloke' is a good one?

If you are going to have a go at least gets your facts right!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
rancido
February 20, 2018, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
I hope Wilko doesn't get the job because I think he has been part of the problem. I'm sure he will have had some input into team selection and he has also been involved with some of the recruitment. IMO he needs to go and we need a manager who picks his own assistant. We need a manager and assistant pairing who understand each other and have a common view on tactics/ player selection. AB's pairing with Arthur Mann is a perfect example and probably no coincidence that when Mann retired from football AB seemed to lose his effectiveness and direction.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Tangerine Chris
February 20, 2018, 7:49pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Where is the "neither" option?

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
bawarmy
February 20, 2018, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
The more I think about it the more I would like Uwe Rosler. Not sure he would come but has a decent record and experience. Lost 6 on the bounce at Fleetwood but his overall record is very good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilko or Askey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.