Research Findings

This thread currently has 938 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Revolutionary Rodders
February 19, 2018, 11:00am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +34
After Saturday's performance at Cambridge United and the situation that the Mariners are currently in, has seriously affected this research! I would like to thank the 176 respondents who completed the questionnaire between 11th December to 5th January during which we won zero matches.
The questionnaire revealed some interesting outcomes - the aim of the research was to look at the impacts of Grimsby Town getting promoted back to the Football League. There is a clear economic benefit of being back in the Football League but obviously expenditure increases as well. This can be seen when last year's accounts are analysed in detail. However, measuring the social impacts are far more difficult to measure, and currently this season any 'feel good factor' has clearly gone altogether.
There are some worrying trends, apart from the standard of football on the pitch, which the data shows - I know it's easy to critique the sample chosen - the questionnaire was only put on social media, The Fishy, twitter and Facebook. It appears though that we have an aging support with 82% of respondents having supported Town for over twenty years, and only 2% having supported Town for between one to five years. On match days there are clearly some younger supporters but this does demonstrate the power and influence of the Premier League, the poor entertainment that has been on offer at Blundell Park, and Saturday afternoon alternatives to watching us lose!
The average number of home matches attended is split right across with 35% of people going to over twenty games, and 23% going to between one to five games. However, during our first season back in the Football League both our home and away support increased (especially our away support). This has reduced considerably this season with the standard and performance having deteriorated this season.
The question about an individuals prime motivation for attending Blundell Park appears to be based around the idea of 'community', and having some connection to the area, either being from the Grimsby area or having family origins from here. It's difficult to measure how much individuals spend when watching Grimsby both home and away, but clearly people spend far more than just the ticket price which therefore impacts upon the wider economy both in Cleethorpes and at away matches.
The answer to how people felt about being promoted back to the Football League were largely based around a 'general relief and expectation' about us being in the Football League. When asked about how optimistic people are for the future 44% said that they were optimistic (I'm sure this wouldn't be anywhere near as high now and I would expect it to be in single figures), 31% said they were not optimistic and 24% stated they did not know.
It appears (obviously) that the two main issues affecting the 'feel good' factor are how well the club is run off the pitch, and the results and entertainment levels on the pitch. Unfortunately, at the moment there is both the perception and the reality that neither is happening at the moment. All or the vast majority of any 'feel good' from being back in the Football League has now gone, especially when compared to our neighbours down the A46 who give the impression of a well run club, and entertaining on the pitch. It would be a financial disaster and have a massive impact upon the local community if Grimsby Town were now relegated out of the Football League again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
February 19, 2018, 11:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Cheers Rodders, interesting, if not surprising conclusions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 2
moosey_club
February 19, 2018, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
I think that the fact it was based only on social media responses would skew the demographics anyway....i wouldnt consider myself aged by any means...clinging onto 40's... but dont go anywhere near facebook or twitter and would imagine a large majority of supporters older than me dont either so you would most likely get responses from 20 - 50 i would imagine ?

So i think your average age of supporter would increase in reality.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Research Findings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.