3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
February 19, 2018, 9:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Cannot help but feel that Slade screwed us over good and proper , He knew he was not liked by the fans and never would be. He distroyed a half decent team, getting rid of our better players by freezing them out and getting worse players in. Some say it was to cut the wage bill, but winning games creates bigger crowds and more money to pay the wages. Fenty must take the blame for hiring someone that did the dirty on us before , and i hope he has paid him off with his money not the clubs..  I dont think any manager can do any thing with this lot of players he has left us with  and, Wilco is responsible for at least three of the squad,, that are only fit to clean the boots of others. We must blood some of the youngsters now as we can do no worse than we are at the moment.
Logged Online
Private Message
cannylad68
February 19, 2018, 9:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
How does this warrant a red cross?

One of Fenty's men?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Gaffer58
February 19, 2018, 9:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
One of Slade's men?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
mariner91
February 19, 2018, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,569
Gold Stars: 260
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the instructions to get rid of any of Bignot's signings came from above or at the very least were given the blessing of our non-chairman. The rumours that they were on big contracts, which I had heard before they started getting shipped out, and the possible desire to remove any trace of Bignot would have undoubtedly had an impact on Fenty's decision making as he is too short-sighted to think that maybe keeping some of our better players would pay for itself. There must have been more to it than Slade not fancying them as players because I refuse to believe that a man who has managed 800 games in the FL could not see what was so blatantly obvious to the 4000 fans who turned up each week.

At the very least we should still have Jamey Osborne, Jones and Clements. We still wouldn't be a play off contender if we had them playing each week but we certainly wouldn't be so shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
malkamalka
February 19, 2018, 9:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
I'm convinced that the squad that got promotion from the conference would have performed a lot better than those brought in since. Since then, we've had 3 Managers, and 4 "rebuilds" of the squad, each time making it weaker and weaker.

One thing we don't have is stability, and that's down to the board.  I'm not suggesting they need to go, because who would take over? However, they probably do need to look at clubs of a similar size who have become reasonably successful, such as Barnsley and Shrewsbury - even Burton, and see how that has happened?

Then, they need to change the business plan, because the current one isn't working.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
dapperz fun pub
February 19, 2018, 9:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from malkamalka
I'm convinced that the squad that got promotion from the conference would have performed a lot better than those brought in since. Since then, we've had 3 Managers, and 4 "rebuilds" of the squad, each time making it weaker and weaker.

One thing we don't have is stability, and that's down to the board.  I'm not suggesting they need to go, because who would take over? However, they probably do need to look at clubs of a similar size who have become reasonably successful, such as Barnsley and Shrewsbury - even Burton, and see how that has happened?

Then, they need to change the business plan, because the current one isn't working.

Stability is great when you have the right footballing people in charge but our board continually employ the wrong people and as for a business plan it appears to me it’s just day to day blagging. We are dithering again I believe fenty is like should I keep Wilko or twist ? On the showing at Cambridge he should gamble yet again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
TAGG
February 19, 2018, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 123
This squad would struggle in the national league.
There is only one person to blame and that is JF
That Manager and his squad are a culmination of bad decision after bad decision over years of neglected by Fenty and his minions.
I have said for the past decade (documented on here) that JF and his supporters would kill this club, we are very close to that now.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
1mickylyons
February 19, 2018, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
You can`t believe any side in our position would let Jones go.Whilst he was out of form to a degree he was by a distance our best player and our only constant goal threat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
KingstonMariner
February 19, 2018, 10:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from malkamalka

When there's so much instability you've got to wonder what the source is. You can't blame Hurst, Bignot, Slade, Wilko for that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
1mickylyons
February 19, 2018, 10:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

When there's so much instability you've got to wonder what the source is. You can't blame Hurst, Bignot, Slade, Wilko for that.

The problem is and has been for years no short term plan and no long term plan or at least none spelled out to us the fans?

Short term = retain league status.Recruit Manager and players capable of winning games and scoring goals
Long term = build a team squad capable of challenging for play offs on a shoestring whilst we await news on the ground with a massive emphasis on homegrown youngsters.Throw in a bit of football fortune now and again most fans could support this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.