3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
February 19, 2018, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Yep it`s that time not sure where we stand on recalling loanees but to me whoever the GTFC Manager interim or otherwise he should have the full available squad to pick from.As others have said on previous posts this situation where the same players get picked in midfield no matter what due to lack of bodies is the first thing that needs sorting out.I would play a team something like this at present if everyone fit
                                                                           Macca
                                                      Mills    Collins  Suliman  Davies
                                                      Summerfield Clements Clifton
                                                               Dembele Winks
                                                                          Matt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
February 19, 2018, 8:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Clements can't be recalled as it's a half season loan.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
1mickylyons
February 19, 2018, 8:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

I wasn`t sure how we sat with that to be honest but seems about right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
February 19, 2018, 8:55am
Guest User
We're massively in the excrement, I don't think it matters too much what team you select from the dregs of this squad. I do want to see Harry Clifton start games over the ineffective James Berrett. But I don't see a lot of ability in there, no leaders is a huge problem as well. My team, a 4-4-2 for what it's worth:

McKeown
Mills
Dixon (I don't want to pick him, but without Davies I have no choice)
Collins (c)
Osbourne
DJ
Clifton
Summerfield
Dembele
Wilks (If Jackson is injured) He's a Striker, not a winger. IF we wanted a winger we should have signed a flipping winger.
Vernon

From the outside looking in, the only leadership I see is through the spine (if we have one), which is where you'd want it. McKeown, Collins and Summerfield lead as far as I can see. Could do with a stronger presence up front to hold the ball up. That's why I've selected Vernon, he isn't that good at holding the ball up, but he's all we've got. He'd get pelters all game,  

I've only selected the one loan player, as there is a chance these lot may even know each others names.
Reply: 3 - 21
UTMariners
February 19, 2018, 9:00am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 6
I think we have really missed Collins, Davies , Dembele, Rose and Mckeown over recent weeks and hope (maybe foolishly) that having three or four of these back might just help us scrape the odd win. I know we were never great even at the start of the season but we were able to win the odd game and the team hasn't really changed that much other than these injuries and losing Jones.  I think/ hope getting a new manager with these players back we can do enough to survive.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Garth
February 19, 2018, 9:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Abdul19

And Clifton not allowed to  play for the first 80 minutes and can only come on if we are getting hammered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
1mickylyons
February 19, 2018, 10:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 75
We're massively in the excrement, I don't think it matters too much what team you select from the dregs of this squad. I do want to see Harry Clifton start games over the ineffective James Berrett. But I don't see a lot of ability in there, no leaders is a huge problem as well. My team, a 4-4-2 for what it's worth:

McKeown
Mills
Dixon (I don't want to pick him, but without Davies I have no choice)
Collins (c)
Osbourne
DJ
Clifton
Summerfield
Dembele
Wilks (If Jackson is injured) He's a Striker, not a winger. IF we wanted a winger we should have signed a flipping winger.
Vernon

From the outside looking in, the only leadership I see is through the spine (if we have one), which is where you'd want it. McKeown, Collins and Summerfield lead as far as I can see. Could do with a stronger presence up front to hold the ball up. That's why I've selected Vernon, he isn't that good at holding the ball up, but he's all we've got. He'd get pelters all game,  

I've only selected the one loan player, as there is a chance these lot may even know each others names.

I would rather play Berrett or Woolford at LB than Dixon.As for Vernon if Hooper and Matt can`t get ahead of him it shows how bad things are and sadly I can`t even argue you are wrong to select him up there.I have no idea what we have youth wise but Wilko/Woods having been involved in management and coaching for years should and FFS sit them down and tell them LB and CM is up for grabs DO YOU WANT IT LADS?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Roast Em Bobby
February 19, 2018, 10:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Given we are in such a dire situation I think we should forget about wins and go back to the basics of trying to keep clean sheets - as much as I dislike him this is what Allardyce does at every club he joins who are in trouble and I'm pretty sure its what any new manager would concentrate on first. If we can get a bit of confidence from a few clean sheets then we may be able to move on to thinking about attacking/scoring again in a few weeks time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
headingly_mariner
February 19, 2018, 10:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I've seen Clifton play a couple of times and he looked decent. I'd like to see local lads involved but i am not sure he is the great hope everyone is making him out to be.

Do you think successive managers would overlook him when we are so shite if he was the player people are expecting him to be?

I hope he makes a player, but at the minute he can't make the bench. I'd be having Rose back in the middle, he's competitive and decent in both boxes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
ginnywings
February 19, 2018, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Rose has to come back in. He's got a goal in him and was part of the Newport team that got out of a far worse situation than we are in. Collins definitely has to return. Hopefully Davies is ready to go back in at left back. Dembele, but only if he is fit and ready, don't rush him back. Wilks actually looked decent out on the left wing, but we then typically drop him from the squad entirely. Vernon is a decent shout for me, for his experience and he will look after the ball far better than Matt, who is struggling to make an impact. Maybe it's time to see what Cardwell has to offer. He's a big lad, and looks quite quick too. Is McAllister able to play a part? Is Clifton ready?

This is the problem isn't it? Too many so so players to make definitive choices. The side should be settled and picking itself by this stage of the season.

Remove Berrett, Osbourne, Matt and Dixon from the team, and possibly the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.