Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Six points
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 124 Guests

Six points

This thread currently has 2,682 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
February 18, 2018, 10:03am
Guest User
Is it football folklore that a change in Manager yields 6 points? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new manager come in at Town and boost the points tally. Even our most recent successful manager; Bignot only delivered 6 points from 18. Then it was Hurst and Scott who delivered a meagre 5 from 21.

With our current shower of players we need a Miracle, in addition to a new manager. I’m not sure we can actually attract a good manager with the kak and position we are in.
Bigdog
February 18, 2018, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 28195
Is it football folklore that a change in Manager yields 6 points? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new manager come in at Town and boost the points tally. Even our most recent successful manager; Bignot only delivered 6 points from 18. Then it was Hurst and Scott who delivered a meagre 5 from 21.

With our current shower of players we need a Miracle, in addition to a new manager. I’m not sure we can actually attract a good manager with the kak and position we are in.

A confident manager will assess that he's got everything to gain. Eight or so points from twelve games to survive and a poor playing squad that naturally disappears in the summer. Two or three that are contracted for another year to be convinced that their playing careers lie elsewhere and he'll have a blank canvas to build his own team. A scenario that's much more enticing than inheriting a poor squad that all have contracts extending into another season.

What we don't know is the wages that will be offered to him and the budget he has to work with. There's not that many managerial vacancies around, so hopefully a better candidate than we're expecting may decide to take the plunge instead of risking whether they'd get a job in the summer. Slade apart, it is normally a massive advantage to have a few games at the end of a season to get bedded in and plan for the following one.

That's how I'd be selling the vacancy to the best prospective candidates anyway..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
ginnywings
February 18, 2018, 10:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Bringing in a new manager seems to work for other sides, at least for a while, but here it's just the same old same old. Cambridge were in exactly the same position as us, no win in 12 and not scoring. They now have 6 goals and 6 points since making the change. They probably have better players than us, that were being poorly managed. We have poor players being poorly managed, so any new guy will have to work miracles.

On the plus side, despite getting battered every week, we are still not dropping down the table much at all and still have a 9 point gap to 23rd spot. With every passing game, the odds of the bottom two bridging that gap decreases. Another tough round of games for the bottom end teams next week, including us, so hopefully the others will keep on losing as many as we are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Hagrid
February 18, 2018, 10:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,327
Gold Stars: 526
Only thing that is saving us is other teams being excrement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
fishyfanny
February 18, 2018, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Agreed, and if our current form,and that of those around us contines, then we should be safe.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-two/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
ginnywings
February 18, 2018, 10:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
There are a few teams at the bottom of that form guide who would be lower down if they hadn't had the fortune of playing and beating us recently.

We have three of those sides yet to play at BP and a good points tally from them will go a long way to securing league football, so let's get someone in who can get the last ounce of performance from this lot, before we wave them goodbye at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2018, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,892
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Bigdog

A confident manager will assess that he's got everything to gain. Eight or so points from twelve games to survive and a poor playing squad that naturally disappears in the summer. Two or three that are contracted for another year to be convinced that their playing careers lie elsewhere and he'll have a blank canvas to build his own team. A scenario that's much more enticing than inheriting a poor squad that all have contracts extending into another season.

What we don't know is the wages that will be offered to him and the budget he has to work with. There's not that many managerial vacancies around, so hopefully a better candidate than we're expecting may decide to take the plunge instead of risking whether they'd get a job in the summer. Slade apart, it is normally a massive advantage to have a few games at the end of a season to get bedded in and plan for the following one.

That's how I'd be selling the vacancy to the best prospective candidates anyway..

As you elude to Bigdog the first question managers have is something along the lines of "how much money do I have to spend" very few managers now come in and work with what they have and trade their way to a position where they upgrade the squad.  

Though gates have been down I actually think that the budget might actually be a bit better than last season as all the Bignot players who reportedly where on big salaries and bonuses have moved on. Also a number of "senior pros" will be out of contract. I'm assuming the money we got for Jones was used to pay Salde off so I don't see us playing any real fees for players.

Lets just hope who comes in will be managing in the EFL next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
barrattstandman
February 18, 2018, 12:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
Six points from Barnet and Chesterfield and we are safe . Imperative that we win those two games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Roast Em Bobby
February 18, 2018, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Starting to wonder if we should just forget about trying to score (because we clearly can't) and go for 10 men behind the ball and aim for clean sheets/draws to see us through to enough points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
gary_elton
February 18, 2018, 12:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
We need to beat Barnet and Chesterfield...  I think a total of 10 points will keep us up if we do.... fingers eyes and knackers are all crossed....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Six points

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.