5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Croxton
February 17, 2018, 11:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Didn't see the gesture but I was close to the fans reacting to 'something'. They were the same group who staged the Fenty out protest and argued with many others who wanted to support the team at 0-0. If there were 800 of us there then the disturbance only involved 10% of that.
I really hope that Mr. Fenty is not stubborn enough to tough it out by taking his normal seat in the Upper next week. Discretion etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
realist
February 17, 2018, 11:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Fenty is responsible for this situation so should be man enough to take the flak.
I wasnt there but I agree with the protests and letting players know what we think about them. Dont forget they are performers and we have to pay to see them so if they dont perform they deserve what they get. It doesnt seem long ago that Poojah was feted for offering to take the entire squad to Dignitas, and that was a better team than this bunch. Nobody got on his case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Croxton
February 18, 2018, 12:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
I don't think Poojah abused Fenty and the players at 0-0 during play. To be quite clear, I want the whole Board replaced but points are the priority. After today the stakes will be raised, and fans nearly came to blows today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
sam gy
February 18, 2018, 12:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wasn't at that end of the stand so didn't see or hear anything, but it's not about grown men getting upset, there were young fans there and no matter what crap they were getting he shouldn't have responded like that.

If you can't see that then shame on you.

And if you’re gonna tarnish what was probably about a 2 second gesture to one person with deeply upsetting every young Mariner, then shame on you.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Mighty_Mariner
February 18, 2018, 1:24am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Marinerz93

Sadly your chef analogy isn't a good one. You send crap food back and tell the waiter how poor the food is, the Chef has to cook another meal, this time to the standards expected. The players have had enough time to put right past failings.

I think you're missing the point here... You've outlined the correct way the voice ones displeasure at perceived poor food/service at a restaurant... Great, and incidentally that is pretty much  exactly what hapened. The point is, there are ways and means of voicing your displeasure at your football team or certain players' performance, and if, in your opinion the best and most effective way to do that is hurl vile abuse at them then in my opinion you should expect it back!

Hurling abuse at a chef for a bad meal is out of the ordinary, but why should footballers put up with it just because of their profession?!? Put yourself in the position of Scott Vernon, you've given your all for the team, however limited that contribution may be (despite what people may think of his ability or goal scoring record, nobody can deny he puts in 100% effort everytime he pulls on the shirt), you're trying to contribute to an upturn in form and all you receive from a section of the teams so-called 'fans' is name calling, abuse (both professional and personal) etc etc etc..... Would you be happy to just take it because of your job, or would you let your frustration, disappointment and anger spill over and allow yourself to react?

Regardless of profession, nobody should be subject to this sort of behaviour and nobody has the right to hurl abuse just because a certain players turns out for 'their' teams nd they have paid an entrance fee!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
TonySmith
February 18, 2018, 1:30am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
All this "there were families and young people there who might have been shocked and offended" stuff is a complete joke. I took my young daughters to a match when they were six and eight and was so disgusted by the language they were hearing that I didn't take them again for five years. It wasn't the players they were hearing! It was probably very much the same types of people that Vernon reacted to today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
Mighty_Mariner
February 18, 2018, 1:50am
Pontoonite
Quoted from Ipswin

At least they might actually care about GTFC and give 100% for the club

Be honest a 16/17 year old giving 100% is a damn sight better bet than the twits who turned out today and gave 10% (and most of that was running on and off the pitch at H/T and F/T) Todays team are not untested - they have been well tested and found to have failed abysmally

I don't agree that many of the players out there today, twits as you call them, purposely gave less than the required effort. Why would they? What would they have to gain from doing so? Even if they aren't Grimsby through and through like us, this is their livlehood at stake. Many are out of contact come the end of the season and will be paying either in the hope of an extension or of attracting other interested clubs come the summer. They all have mortgages etc to pay just like us.

What I actually think,  is that we're seeing a bunch of players who have hit absolutely rock bottom in the confidence stakes and are struggling to dig themselves out of the hole. Confidence is such an underrated element of football and can have a truly devestating effect on a players form and performance, it's very easy to lose and can be incredibly difficult to regain . Every single player will be terrified of being the one to make the mistake that led to a goal for instance and that can play havoc with their mindset.

Now is the time to bring in a leader that has outstanding man management qualities, who can lift the dressing room, offer a fresh approach and new ideas and inject a new impetus into the squad.

We've seen many times in the past at different clubs how a team can be performing consistently bad, a new manager comes in and instantly things start to improve and results get better. These don't instantly become better players, ability wise, but a new manager can often give the squad a confidence boost that returns improved performances and results until new tactics, training methods, gameplan etc have time to sink in.

This is the same (mostly) team/squad remember that won 4 games in a row and went on a decent unbeaten run and were talking of a play off push,  coincidently when confidence was high(er).

Perhaps I'm talking shite but I think the players have enough experience and quality to get out of this mess, provided they have the right manager leading them. IMO that right man, unfortunately,  is not Paul Wilkinson!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
Mighty_Mariner
February 18, 2018, 1:51am
Pontoonite
Quoted from grimsby pete
He should be sacked not because of the gesture,

BUT

Because he is rubbish at his job along with a few others.

Mills was one who at least tried ,

I did not realise Osborne was even playing until the 2 nd half.

I dare say you need to pay more attention then Pete!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Mighty_Mariner
February 18, 2018, 2:09am
Pontoonite
Quoted from GYinScuntland
There are families in attendance..
"Dad, what does that mean?"

In that instance, you explain and educate!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Mighty_Mariner
February 18, 2018, 2:15am
Pontoonite
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wasn't at that end of the stand so didn't see or hear anything, but it's not about grown men getting upset, there were young fans there and no matter what crap they were getting he shouldn't have responded like that.

If you can't see that then shame on you.

And these young fans would have been completely oblivious to the torrent of foul language, insults and abuse aimed at the players from the 'fans' in the stand would they?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The hand gesture

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.