7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
February 18, 2018, 7:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Well that was terrible, their long balls caused us no end of problems, those who thought their would be a massive change under Wilkinson are sadly wrong, new manager in for Saturday please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Cloudy
February 18, 2018, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Davec
Well that was terrible, their long balls caused us no end of problems, those who thought their would be a massive change under Wilkinson are sadly wrong, new manager in for Saturday please

Don't think anyone thought there would be a 'massive change' under Wilkinson. I also didn't think they caused us 'no end of problems'. They scored 3 from about 5 shots on goal

There did seem to be a little more passing but the bottom line is we have a totally unbalanced squad giving whoever is in charge little room for manoeuvre.

Our only hope imo is that a new manager, a different approach, can lift the squad enough to scrape wins v Chesterfield and Barnet. Vital the new man is a motivator as Slade has left us with very limited options
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
TheRealJohnLewis
February 18, 2018, 9:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
This was my first game this season, after refusing to waste money on Slade.  Now, I am not naive enough to think that a whole lot would change in terms of playing style and ability, and the only thing I wanted to see was passion, effort, and a good atmosphere. There was none of them.

The day started off pretty shitty when we arrived at the ground due to an incident with a steward, which put me in a mood straight away.  The first embarrassing moment came when the players had finished the main warm up and came behind the goals, where they did a couple of drills of drills with some young lad shouting at the top of his voice "YOU WANT THIS MORE THAN THEM" and other motivational snippets like this. It lasted about a minute but if you need a 20 something lad screaming crap at you to get pumped up when GTFC are fighting for their FL existence, then you are in the wrong job.  Just prior to this was the only positive moment of the day, when the players led by Clarke got the fans pumped up, this was the only bit of effort I saw all game.

We started off ok, and by ok I mean we matched and contained Cambs without producing anything of note. After that, it was one-way traffic, with the odd hope of a set piece.

Macca - Did well especially for the 2nd goal, only for a free man to tap in.  

Mills - Probably my MoM, The only player to take players on, which you should NOT be doing when you are playing CB/Sweeper. He looked to bring the ball out of defence at times but was often caught out by being too short. I like Mills, good player with the right attitude, but never ever going to be competent at CB. I'd have rather seen him at Wing Back taking players on.

Clarke, Osbourne - Both were turned on what seemed like every occasion by their strikers.  Clarke is not a leader, you do not see or hear anything from him to inspire his teammates. Clarke, however, showed class at times by pinging the ball about, only for the receiving player taking a lifetime to more often than not passing the ball backward and losing any slight momentum.

Dixon/HJ - Did not take on their man once, and Dixon's crossing is not great, I have not seen him as a LB but he's not a WB. HJ tended to drift infield into dead ends while on the ball.

Berret/Summerfield - Berret was anonymous and Summerfield was very negative in his play, always sidewards and backward.  Zero movement off the ball from these two, which makes passing and moving throughout the team impossible.  I have been very skeptical about all these claims that Summerfield is a much-improved player, however, I stand by what I've said on other posts, he's not improved, the quality around him has dropped.

Matt/Hooper/Vernam/Jackson - Matt and Hooper spent most of their time on their arses. No movement up front at all, no chasing down, no nothing. Vernam I didn't notice he was even on the pitch. Jackson was not on long enough to do anything of note.

Is this a poor team?  Not necessarily, it is a team playing poorly and with no confidence, clear direction or motivation.  I genuinely believe that the right manager could have got this team (along with Jones, Osborne, Clements, Bolly, and Asante) into the playoffs, but this club has been destroyed of its life by the appointment of Slade.  Yesterday was Wilko's first interview for the manager's job and he should be out of the running.  Poor formation, and where was the motivation, why where the players not up for it? The scary thing is, we need a new manager in place ASAP, which increases the risk of it being a poor appointment. Probably a rubbish example but a good manager can get more out of the players by bringing them together as a team. The sum of the parts is greater than the individual components. So just because Player A and B aren't the greatest does the team can't achieve. Leceister are a prime example when they won the league, individually not the best players in the league, but collectively they conquered and fought for one another.

I want Fenty out as much as the next bloke but chanting to that effect at the match will achieve nothing but negativity.  We need a unified body (Trust) to come up with a realistic takeover plan, not stupid bloody negative chanting.  Luckily enough there were enough people to drown them out with choruses of "Mariners".  Just because you don't agree with the chants does not make you "Fenty In".
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
Croxton
February 18, 2018, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Agree with most of that RJL but as it was your first game I would add that losing Jackson lost us any movement or sharpness in the box. Wilks would have been a better replacement but was absent I guess due to the loannee rules. Wilkos preference for Matt misfired badly. Vernam has played well in other games but after a good start seemed to lose heart. Likewise, I left on 75min for an earlier train.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
Bristol Mariner
February 18, 2018, 9:47am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
The non chairman, the management and the players are simply just not good enough.

Yesterday we looked a side devoid of any ideas, confidence and skill - some of the first touches were embarrassing.

Long ball from goal kick - the seas parted and goal from their first attack.

We have to play Barnet, Port Vale and Chesterfield at home - three cup finals but on current form these I see as being dull draws at best.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
rancido
February 18, 2018, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I hate what Slade did to this club, no manager will get this lot winning

Although it was a division lower , when we were in the Conference there was one almost constant defender present and that was Pearson. Whoever he was paired with at the back he gave his all. During that time we had a good , solid defence which was a platform to build on. Although we never tore any trees up last season at least we had established ourselves back in the league and the centre-back pairing of Collins and Pearson never looked out of place. Along comes Slade and "engineers " Pearson out by delaying offering him a new deal until he was sure of securing Clarkes services. This IMO was a total smack in the face for a loyal player who still had much to offer. I think it's no coincidence that this seasons debacle at the back is partly due to Slade dumping Pearson ( who by the way is doing ok at Wrexham, is a firm fans favourite and could quite possibly be playing back in the league next season)
In fact when you look at all our player departures, they have mostly consisted of players who added to the squad and been replaced by inferior ones. I know it's only one match but yesterdays result shows we need a clean sweep of the team management structure with Wilko going and being replaced with a manager and assistant of his own choosing. I don't think we will go down but it will be a close call. Surely , if we do stay up, then the bulk of the money we get for league status should be used to fund a new manager as this will not impact on our normal match day and commercial incomes?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
easypeersy
February 18, 2018, 7:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from rancido

Although it was a division lower , when we were in the Conference there was one almost constant defender present and that was Pearson. Whoever he was paired with at the back he gave his all. During that time we had a good , solid defence which was a platform to build on. Although we never tore any trees up last season at least we had established ourselves back in the league and the centre-back pairing of Collins and Pearson never looked out of place. Along comes Slade and "engineers " Pearson out by delaying offering him a new deal until he was sure of securing Clarkes services. This IMO was a total smack in the face for a loyal player who still had much to offer. I think it's no coincidence that this seasons debacle at the back is partly due to Slade dumping Pearson ( who by the way is doing ok at Wrexham, is a firm fans favourite and could quite possibly be playing back in the league next season)
In fact when you look at all our player departures, they have mostly consisted of players who added to the squad and been replaced by inferior ones. I know it's only one match but yesterdays result shows we need a clean sweep of the team management structure with Wilko going and being replaced with a manager and assistant of his own choosing. I don't think we will go down but it will be a close call. Surely , if we do stay up, then the bulk of the money we get for league status should be used to fund a new manager as this will not impact on our normal match day and commercial incomes?

I agree with all of this apart from I actually think we definitely are going down
Nothing can prevent us I am afraid.
Slade has destroyed this club!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2018, 7:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
Just to completely take the thread off track I thought yesterday’s ref was one of the better ones. Gave a couple of really good advantages to both sides and also was brave enough to call his advantages back when the team in possession had no clear advantage.

Reffed it the same for both sides I thought.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
Welwynmariner
February 18, 2018, 9:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Just to completely take the thread off track I thought yesterday’s ref was one of the better ones. Gave a couple of really good advantages to both sides and also was brave enough to call his advantages back when the team in possession had no clear advantage.

Reffed it the same for both sides I thought.

Fully agree - we couldn't even blame the officials. Nor the opposition - who were nowhere near as good as previous Cambridge sides we've played in recent years.

The truth is that the players are simply not good enough. There is no pace and no penetration. They can't pass the ball or find a team mate. Clarke can't even kick the ball with his left foot - which was a bit of a problem since he was playing on the left side of the back three.

I see people wanting a manager who can "motivate" but frankly it's no good being a motivator if the basic ability isn't there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
KingstonMariner
February 18, 2018, 9:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Time for a Fans' Forum to tell us how they are going to fix this mess that they and they alone have created

not in a month of Sunday's. We only have them when we win a couple of games.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.