2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Earnyourstripes
February 15, 2018, 1:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -67
Gold Stars: 1
I dont think on refletion that the club should gamble on a manager without experience at or above leagfue 2.
Why should we put the club at further risk, it is already in a dangerous position, ballanced on the edge of the Vanaramma cliff!
Go with experience and get some stability and good football to give the supporters some faith in our great club!
Unfortunately for Fenty that might not be the cheap option so we will have to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mallyner
February 15, 2018, 1:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Earnyourstripes
I dont think on refletion that the club should gamble on a manager without experience at or above leagfue 2.
Why should we put the club at further risk, it is already in a dangerous position, ballanced on the edge of the Vanaramma cliff!
Go with experience and get some stability and good football to give the supporters some faith in our great club!
Unfortunately for Fenty that might not be the cheap option so we will have to see.

One good thing is that manager of the Tilted Barrel who once applied for the Town job, seems to have dissapeered.    

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
BIGChris
February 15, 2018, 2:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Everyone is a gamble.

Go for experience? Like Russell Slade perhaps.

The thing is there is no magic wand
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
wiggers
February 15, 2018, 2:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Any Managerial appointment is a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Whoever gets the job is going to have to attract a number of good quality players to the club, something that Slade struggled to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
GrimRob
February 15, 2018, 2:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Earnyourstripes

Buckley I, Hurst and Slade I were all successful coming from non-league. Bignott might well have been given more time, he didn't really fail as such. Personally I'd rather an up and coming manager than a failed has-been.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 19
1mickylyons
February 15, 2018, 2:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Whoever comes in needs to bring a broom have a clean sweep and then impose a proper footballing philosophy a blueprint for GTFC going forward and it must include recruitment and development of local players at the heart of it. Nearly all Town fans would buy into that even if it meant a few years of cutting cloth to enable the build. Now having said all that firstly we need to ensure League 2 football is being played here come August so this is not a straight forward appointment. I think we should try and get over the line with an interim boss short term then the minute the Season ends do a proper recruitment and get in the right body the best available candidate at whatever the cost.JF speaks about footballing fortune and that can come in many different ways how good would it be to sell a couple of homegrown Omar Bogle`s and have a cup run to boost the coffers.Do your homework John and get a football man like Buckley on board to help oversee and actually listen to his advice.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
fleabag1970
February 15, 2018, 3:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I think if Brown gets the job we will be fine this season . It's the rebuild next season that worries me .

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Johnnyc66
February 15, 2018, 3:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +66
Beware another Mike Newell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Tinymariner
February 15, 2018, 3:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Johnnyc66
Beware another Mike Newell

Beware another Bignot.
Beware another Slade. The list could go on, we just have to hope the person who gets the job can do a job. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Garth
February 15, 2018, 3:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from fleabag1970
I think if Brown gets the job we will be fine this season . It's the rebuild next season that worries me .

Its a temptation because its a name, does not always work though look at Dave Jones at Hartlepool it can be a costly failure, I would not want to do the choosing as everyone thinks differently.
Common sense is we see what Wilki can do, and then panic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
February 15, 2018, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,655
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Whoever comes in needs to bring a broom have a clean sweep and then impose a proper footballing philosophy a blueprint for GTFC going forward and it must include recruitment and development of local players at the heart of it. Nearly all Town fans would buy into that even if it meant a few years of cutting cloth to enable the build. Now having said all that firstly we need to ensure League 2 football is being played here come August so this is not a straight forward appointment. I think we should try and get over the line with an interim boss short term then the minute the Season ends do a proper recruitment and get in the right body the best available candidate at whatever the cost.JF speaks about footballing fortune and that can come in many different ways how good would it be to sell a couple of homegrown Omar Bogle`s and have a cup run to boost the coffers.Do your homework John and get a football man like Buckley on board to help oversee and actually listen to his advice.UTM

I don't see why they can't do what you suggest now though? Why wait till the summer? Even if we did it at the seasons end we cannot take weeks and weeks over it as the close season is very short these days and a manager needs to be in place to make sure summer signings are aquired and contracts sorted.

I agree with your overall theme though - get the best man we can afford but there are plenty to choose from now.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
ginnywings
February 15, 2018, 4:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from wiggers
Any Managerial appointment is a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Whoever gets the job is going to have to attract a number of good quality players to the club, something that Slade struggled to do.

He could have always kept the few quality players he inherited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
jock dock tower
February 15, 2018, 5:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Guardiola would struggle at BP without the £millions. Let's not kid ourselves about the enormity of the project.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
devs
February 15, 2018, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
The title of this thread is fairly ludicrous
No gamble for me

Every appointment is a gamble!

Phil Brown, Stuart McCall, Craig Elliott, Mark Sampson, John Askey...who knows what will happen?

An inexperienced manager is just as likely to succeed as a 'been around the block' manager

Mike Newell/Russell Slade/Marcus Bignot or Dave Booth/Paul Hurst/Alan Buckley??

Lap of the Gods IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
oldun
February 15, 2018, 5:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I don't see Wilko as a long term option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 15, 2018, 5:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Tinymariner

Beware another Bignot.
Beware another Slade. The list could go on, we just have to hope the person who gets the job can do a job. UTM

Think it must be just me when it comes to Bignot but people seem to remember his crazier days and forget winning & scoring 3 goals at Plymouth, Carlisle(top of league at the time) & Blackpool. You say beware but his points return was ok and some of his “stranger” team selections were made when he thought he had free reign to experiment after achieving 50 points, allegedly his brief for the season.

I read about appointing someone than us town fans will need patience, is that the patience we showed Hurst(myself included) when we wanted him sacked, the same supporters that wanted Bignot out for selecting Gunning & losing heavily at Crewe and Portsmouth? Let’s not kid ourselves we are no better, or worse, then most football supporters and being blessed with patience is not normally the common thread we share but rather the opposite.

Personally not against a project, a la Spurs at a league 2 level, but we all need to understand what the project is and what the expectations are for improving performances and results. We, crowd and board, never allowed Bignot the time to learn from his mistakes and we will never know if his planned rebuilding would have worked out, certainly he identified some very useful players and was  “allowed” to bring these in a transfer window earlier so that we would be in a better position at start of this season. It never worked out and the injuries to McAllister & Osbourne plus Clements family bereavement maybe took away an opportunity for a very different and skilful midfield to that we have had to watch. Yes, he also signed players that have not performed but no worse than any other Manager.

Think it just shows what a number of us have been saying that selecting a new Manager is actually a very, very difficult task and once announced I am sure we will be having further debates with Fors, againsts and I am not going whilst he is in charge comments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
lukeo
February 15, 2018, 5:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,354
Gold Stars: 143
Dont understand people bashing original post or putting an X. Although I disagree with the original post everyone has their own view and opinions.. I'm open to new ideas with fresh faces. I just hope we don't go cheap!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
mariners1
February 15, 2018, 7:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Wilkinson has to have a short chance to see if he motivate the underwhelming squad we have.
Remember that we have only the current (underwhelming) squad to work with. Bring another manager in now and he or she would still have only the players currently here to work with.
We've just got to hope that the teams at the bottom remain worse than we currently are. The crucial games are versus barnet n chesterfield. IMHO the next manager (if wilkinson doesn't succeed) needs to come from non-league as that's where we will largely have recruit for next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
moosey_club
February 16, 2018, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Garth

Its a temptation because its a name, does not always work though look at Dave Jones at Hartlepool it can be a costly failure,

That was the other Dave Jones at the other Hartlepool... Dave Jones at MASSIVE Hartlepool hasn't lost a game in 3 seasons and drew with Barcelona the other night, Messi only scoring a last second equaliser when a clearance ricocheted off his @rse.  

I do wish people would stop mistaking the two Hartlepool's...it makes those Hartlepool (MASSIVE) fans who came on here a while back look silly when you do.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
GrimRob
February 16, 2018, 1:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jock dock tower
Guardiola would struggle at BP without the £millions. Let's not kid ourselves about the enormity of the project.

We only need a few more points this season, much of the squad can be released in the summer. I think a good manager could be succesful next year with some good signings over the summer. I'd actually prefer someone who has a large knowledge of the players available, which is where I think a younger, inexperienced manager is better. Older guys tend to stick with the same core group of players. Even AB did, his career went downhill as "his" players aged. PH will probably do the same.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No Gamble for Me

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.