Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League - Troubled Waters Ahead ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 341 Guests

Premier League - Troubled Waters Ahead ?

This thread currently has 3,477 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 14, 2018, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220

Tuesday’s announcement that Sky Sports and BT Sport have won five of the seven packages of UK rights to the 2019-22 seasons for £4.464 billion means that the Premier League is set to receive less in TV fees within its home territory than the £5.136 billion it gets under the current three-year contract.
There are fears that the Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ will make a more forceful attempt to grab a bigger share of its overseas television cash after the value of its domestic deal fell for the first time.
Previously in October, the so-called Big Six were thwarted by their top-flight rivals in their first attempt to secure more of the league’s overseas cash when clubs met to debate a plan by Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore that would have meant more than a third of the revenue, currently split equally between all teams, awarded based on finishing position in the table.

Hope the greedy b@stards implode.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cambs Mariner
February 14, 2018, 10:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
The so called Big Six will be playing in a European League in the near future. Winning the Premier League doesn't mean much to them anymore, all that matters is getting into the Top 4 and qualifying for The Champions League. Getting to Bayern. PSG, Barcelona or Madrid is just as easy as getting to Newcastle for the London teams and getting to Bournemouth for the Northern teams. For the rest of teams in the Premier League and the teams that keep hopping between the top league and The Championship it could be similar to the ITV  collapse we, and many more, had to endure at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
arryarryarry
February 15, 2018, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
The so called Big Six will be playing in a European League in the near future. Winning the Premier League doesn't mean much to them anymore, all that matters is getting into the Top 4 and qualifying for The Champions League. Getting to Bayern. PSG, Barcelona or Madrid is just as easy as getting to Newcastle for the London teams and getting to Bournemouth for the Northern teams. For the rest of teams in the Premier League and the teams that keep hopping between the top league and The Championship it could be similar to the ITV  collapse we, and many more, had to endure at the time.

They've been saying this for years.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
February 15, 2018, 1:33am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

Tuesday’s announcement that Sky Sports and BT Sport have won five of the seven packages of UK rights to the 2019-22 seasons for £4.464 billion means that the Premier League is set to receive less in TV fees within its home territory than the £5.136 billion it gets under the current three-year contract.
There are fears that the Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ will make a more forceful attempt to grab a bigger share of its overseas television cash after the value of its domestic deal fell for the first time.
Previously in October, the so-called Big Six were thwarted by their top-flight rivals in their first attempt to secure more of the league’s overseas cash when clubs met to debate a plan by Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore that would have meant more than a third of the revenue, currently split equally between all teams, awarded based on finishing position in the table.

Hope the greedy b@stards implode.  

Missed the point, that being that there are still two tranches left to sell, and so the final figure of the total sales of tv rights will exceed all previous figures.

Reply: 3 - 13
Abdul19
February 15, 2018, 7:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Yeah that's what I thought. They've sold 71% of the  UK rights for 87% of the previous full value.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Johnnyc66
February 15, 2018, 9:35am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +66
Things are moving towards online season tickets.

We have this already at our club for "overseas" fans on ifollow

I can see Amazon outbidding the TV companies and running with this attached to Prime and Fire TV.

Once the rest of the world has them the UK will follow and the game will be changed forever with clubs getting a cut from their online season tickets sold

What happens to us little fish? Who knows

I hope I am wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
moosey_club
February 15, 2018, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just checked some further details,

the remaining two packages are intended for internet platforms

while the domestic TV rights have gone for £500 m less they have still to sell all of the overseas packages and it is thought virtually all of these will rise considerably on the previous package.  

Whilst the money isn't drying up it seems the "big six" will still be pushing for greater shares of that revenue though....... i will repeat...

i hope the greedy b@stards implode.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Bigdog
February 15, 2018, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If they're going to end up doing it, I've got a hunch that the sooner the top six join a European Super League the better. What will the TV companies do then? Even the ones that win the rights will need more than just eight Super League games a weekend/midweek to offer a decent football coverage and it will be a season that lasts only 30 weeks. The present Champions League is a special tournament where the top teams play each other every few years. It will devalue the product if all of the teams play each other every season. The charm will wear off after a while and where do they go then?

Not every TV company will win the rights to the European Super League so where do those other TV companies go? La Liga without Barca, Real and Atletico? The Bundesliga without Bayern and Dortmund? Serie A without Juve, the Milans, and Roma or the French League without PSG, Monaco and Marseille? So the Premier League will be shorn of the top six, but what will be left will be competitive English football on a more level playing field, still exciting and unpredictable without the current trophy winning monopoly. The TV rights for this product will still have a significant value, not as much as before, but still significant. The top six must take at least a quarter of the TV rights money already. Where will that leave Town? A bigger fish in a smaller pond and with a little more influence than before maybe, and I don't think it will ever get to ITV Digital proportions for us, after all we only receive a tiny proportion of what's on offer already.

I can't see clubs like Everton or Leicester dominating like Citeh, the Scum or Chelsea do, so there would be a refreshing battle to win the league and teams in the championship would fancy their chances after promotion. If you think back to some of the best games you've seen on TV, they've not all involved the big clubs. What's important and most exciting is the game itself whoever is playing. The top six clearing off into the distance might be a blessing and give hope to clubs way down the pecking order in getting to the top division, winning silverware and qualifying for a new European tournament. It might not be a catastrophe anyone would think on first impression, it may help clubs like Town in the future have a little bit of a stronger voice in this country when it comes to handing out TV money..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Mallyner
February 15, 2018, 1:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
I don't know if anybody is the same as me but if I am out, although I am respectable enough not to show it, I am bored stiff when so called local people spit out the names of European clubs and foreign players. Apart from my beloved Mariners and clubs results that affect us, I would rather read about Cleethorpes and Borough than Premier League.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
moosey_club
February 15, 2018, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
If they're going to end up doing it, I've got a hunch that the sooner the top six join a European Super League the better. What will the TV companies do then? Even the ones that win the rights will need more than just eight Super League games a weekend/midweek to offer a decent football coverage and it will be a season that lasts only 30 weeks. The present Champions League is a special tournament where the top teams play each other every few years. It will devalue the product if all of the teams play each other every season. The charm will wear off after a while and where do they go then?

Not every TV company will win the rights to the European Super League so where do those other TV companies go? La Liga without Barca, Real and Atletico? The Bundesliga without Bayern and Dortmund? Serie A without Juve, the Milans, and Roma or the French League without PSG, Monaco and Marseille? So the Premier League will be shorn of the top six, but what will be left will be competitive English football on a more level playing field, still exciting and unpredictable without the current trophy winning monopoly. The TV rights for this product will still have a significant value, not as much as before, but still significant. The top six must take at least a quarter of the TV rights money already. Where will that leave Town? A bigger fish in a smaller pond and with a little more influence than before maybe, and I don't think it will ever get to ITV Digital proportions for us, after all we only receive a tiny proportion of what's on offer already.

I can't see clubs like Everton or Leicester dominating like Citeh, the Scum or Chelsea do. If you think back to some of the best games you've seen on TV, they've not all involved the big clubs. What's important and most exciting is the game itself whoever is playing. The top six clearing off into the distance might be a blessing and give hope to clubs way down the pecking order in getting to the top division, winning silverware and qualifying for a new European tournament. It might not be a catastrophe anyone would think on first impression, it may help clubs like Town in the future have a little bit of a stronger voice in this country when it comes to handing out TV money..

They will all end up just eating each other....its ok the "big six" wanting bigger shares and potentially a Super League but how would that work ? Our six and then cherry pick Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Milan, etc ??
Before it started you can guarantee they would all be then wanting a bigger share of the bigger share.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League - Troubled Waters Ahead ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.