Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Fenty want to win the fans back.......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 281 Guests

If Fenty want to win the fans back.......

This thread currently has 6,558 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Shilts
February 13, 2018, 8:46am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +121
........He could do a lot worse than this guy.

Graham Potter.

Has he been mentioned anywhere already? Might be out of our reach, but worth an ask surely. Move heaven and earth to get him here. Got the required Boston connection too!

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....rsenal-europa-league

"Nothing says party like a retro Ciba Geigy Town shirt bobbing away on an inflatable flamingo."
Logged Offline
Private Message
February 13, 2018, 9:16am
Guest User
Potter is doing a fantastic job, agree he will be out of our reach. He'll get an opportunity at a forward thinking stable club with potential, and that isn't us.

John Fenty cannot win the fans back, that ship has sailed based on 14 years of acute pain. It's best for all of us if he exits as soon as possible.
Reply: 1 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 9:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 75
Potter is doing a fantastic job, agree he will be out of our reach. He'll get an opportunity at a forward thinking stable club with potential, and that isn't us.

John Fenty cannot win the fans back, that ship has sailed based on 14 years of acute pain. It's best for all of us if he exits as soon as possible.

John Fenty CAN win the fans back but I totally agree it`s very unlikely to happen unless he delivers a new ground and Championship football in a very short space of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 9:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 1mickylyons

John Fenty CAN win the fans back but I totally agree it`s very unlikely to happen unless he delivers a new ground and Championship football in a very short space of time.

Dont think that will work because neither of those are going to happen.

What the CLUB needs to consider is how to be more inclusive. The only way i can see that happening is for Fenty to appoint a genuine CEO with power and clout to actually engage, work with the fans and change the club/fan relationship.

I honestly dont see Fenty doing so himself because even if he started to say the right things, very few would buy in to it because of a distinct lack of trust regarding his value of the supporters.

Just my opinion as always and others may disagree
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 9:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Dont think that will work because neither of those are going to happen.

What the CLUB needs to consider is how to be more inclusive. The only way i can see that happening is for Fenty to appoint a genuine CEO with power and clout to actually engage, work with the fans and change the club/fan relationship.

I honestly dont see Fenty doing so himself because even if he started to say the right things, very few would buy in to it because of a distinct lack of trust regarding his value of the supporters.

Just my opinion as always and others may disagree

Likewise I don`t see it happening either and due to the money in the game I can`t really see Grimsby getting anywhere near the Championship for a long time that`s nowt against Fenty by the way just we have to be realistic.However I hope against all hope we get one or both because that`s football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
February 13, 2018, 9:38am
Guest User
I grew up watching town compete in the championship for the most part. Great days, although it’s easy to remember through rose tinted glasses, it was mostly a struggle to stay in the division. But we played some great stuff, we had no right to see Town play football of that standard.

However, times have changed. Rumours are Bogle who is a fringe player at that level is on 15k a week, £15m transfers etc. I don’t think we can realistically hope to see those days again, but Burton managed it so you never know.

But you need to have a proper infrastructure, we certainly haven’t. Poor youth facilities, poor scouting network, we don’t give youth a chance, no real ethos. We are not set up to succeed, we are set up to firefight constantly.

We need change at the top.
Reply: 5 - 57
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2018, 9:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,880
Gold Stars: 82
He’s openly stated he wants out, all efforts from him should be to concentrate on a safe exit strategy which doesn’t harm the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
Vance Warner
February 13, 2018, 9:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A new ground in the wrong place could actually be the final nail in his legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 9:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
He won't win the fans back, he could, but he won't.

Potter won't come, any suggestion he will is crazy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
promotion plaice
February 13, 2018, 9:53am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from 75
I grew up watching town compete in the championship for the most part. Great days, although it’s easy to remember through rose tinted glasses, it was mostly a struggle to stay in the division. But we played some great stuff, we had no right to see Town play football of that standard.

However, times have changed. Rumours are Bogle who is a fringe player at that level is on 15k a week, £15m transfers etc. I don’t think we can realistically hope to see those days again, but Burton managed it so you never know.

But you need to have a proper infrastructure, we certainly haven’t. Poor youth facilities, poor scouting network, we don’t give youth a chance, no real ethos. We are not set up to succeed, we are set up to firefight constantly.

We need change at the top.

Top and bottom is.......we need a new stadium that would strengthen our financial future and write off Mr Fenty's loan.

Then hopefully we can more than compete financially with our rivals and enjoy some good times again with or without JF.

This obviously assumes we hang on to our league status.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Top and bottom is.......we need a new stadium that would strengthen our financial future and write off Mr Fenty's loan.

Then hopefully we can more than compete financially with our rivals and enjoy some good times again with or without JF.

This obviously assumes we hang on to our league status.

In the modern game though realistically where do GTFC sit and how far can they go? I think League 1 is a realistic target but forays into the Championship will be few and far between and certainly not very likely whilst were based at BP.If and when the new ground comes along and assuming we can get it right on the pitch we should be aspiring to go past the likes of Scunny and Burton but all this is a long way off.All Mr Fenty can do is get away from fire fighting and deliver on his promise of a new ground.I don`t get how any Town fan can have a go at him about pursuit of a new ground it`s 100% a must have sure other things are equally as important and at times more pressing but long term that ground is key.The bloke gets my sympathy having to try and get a ground built with the worst Council on the land putting up obstacles.A near 30 year spat over a suitable site it`s horse pish the council should 100% tell GTFC these are the sites available pick one and build it. I would stick a lot of money on the ground getting built within 10 years but I can equally stick a lot of money on it being Freemo/Flats area rather than PP? This is only my personal opinion it could be miles wide of the mark but the drawn out process and deafening silence on PP suggests something as cropped up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2018, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He won't win the fans back, he could, but he won't.

Potter won't come, any suggestion he will is crazy.

This is the nub of it. He could do all sorts of things. He could make a fresh start with new initiatives on and off the field. He could invest some of his money and make us a force again, by employing top people in all the important roles. He could make a decision on the new stadium and either bin the idea or make improvements at the BP, which will have to happen if he cannot deliver the new stadium.

He could apologise for all that has gone on before, he could admit that most of it has been an absolute disaster, and accept he is not nearly as capable as he imagines, and would work much more in tandem with people with more knowledge and ideas.

Of course all this is a fantasy, because he won't do any of it. Make do and mend is the motto, and so it will continue until he goes. I am hoping for the best manager we can get, because the only thing worth supporting at GTFC is the actual team. If we get on field success then of course the heat will be taken off the non chairman, but only till the cycle starts again.

The most irritating thing for me is that he is lucky to have a substantial amount of money; he is the top man at a well respected football league club, but doesn't seem to want to take it forward in any meaningful way apart from hope for some footballing fortune.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 11:51am
Special Brew Drinker

This is the nub of it. He could do all sorts of things. He could make a fresh start with new initiatives on and off the field. He could invest some of his money and make us a force again, by employing top people in all the important roles. He could make a decision on the new stadium and either bin the idea or make improvements at the BP, which will have to happen if he cannot deliver the new stadium.

He could apologise for all that has gone on before, he could admit that most of it has been an absolute disaster, and accept he is not nearly as capable as he imagines, and would work much more in tandem with people with more knowledge and ideas.

Of course all this is a fantasy, because he won't do any of it. Make do and mend is the motto, and so it will continue until he goes. I am hoping for the best manager we can get, because the only thing worth supporting at GTFC is the actual team. If we get on field success then of course the heat will be taken off the non chairman, but only till the cycle starts again.

The most irritating thing for me is that he is lucky to have a substantial amount of money; he is the top man at a well respected football league club, but doesn't seem to want to take it forward in any meaningful way apart from hope for some footballing fortune.

I`m loathe to defend him but what can he do in terms of taking it forward without a new ground? Nobody will invest in BP BUT they might invest in GTFC if they have said stadium I can`t see what he can do barring bits and pieces to pacify the likes of you and I who are caning him for his past errors?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I`m loathe to defend him but what can he do in terms of taking it forward without a new ground? Nobody will invest in BP BUT they might invest in GTFC if they have said stadium I can`t see what he can do barring bits and pieces to pacify the likes of you and I who are caning him for his past errors?

He could take a back seat in running the club and employ someone with proper PR skills. I am convinced that it wouldnt take a lot for a professional to get the crowds behind the club. This in turn would increase income.

He wont do this because he essentially owns the club and therefore believes he has to have full control ( even controls the heating in the offices from his house!). I think he would be surprised what a new broom could do for him although I expect he would find fault because he doesnt recognise anyone could improve on the job he is doing/has done. That is the issue.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

There is no interest from the club in being involved in the regeneration of the Town. I think it's fairly clear from the studies that the focus is not what is best for the club and the Town, but what is best for individuals.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 12:25pm
Special Brew Drinker

There is no interest from the club in being involved in the regeneration of the Town. I think it's fairly clear from the studies that the focus is not what is best for the club and the Town, but what is best for individuals.  

hm explain to me then the countless feasibility studies which I believe where council driven but the football club had to pay a small fortune to get completed. I mean why would the Club pay for and explore these sites unless they wanted to play ball with the Council? Football fans aside it just shows what we get for our money when in 30 years a suitable site can`t be found to build a stadium.Blundell Park was built and has staged football and numerous events for over 100 years serving 100s of thousands of locals and visitors alike sadly it`s had it`s day.It is bordering on contempt the lack of help in delivering a new modern facility to serve the next 100 years.The best they have come up with barring the leisure centre fiasco was the white elephant at meridian point SHAMBOLIC no way can GTFC be held accountable for council red tape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2018, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think if it was any other individual Micky I would have a great deal of sympathy for them, and would agree with you. However this has been going for 15 years or thereabouts and my sympathy has been exhausted.

I have been told many times before he (Fenty) is impossible to work with, hence everything hitting brick walls, and there does seem to be some truth in that.

Even when all the ducks seem to be in a row things never get pushed forward; a new stadium may be the ideal scenario but I just cannot see it happening under Fenty; the big decision is when to accept it isn't going to happen and start investing in the club as it stands.

If we are to stay at BP for the next 20 years then clever solutions to its various problems can be found.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker

I think if it was any other individual Micky I would have a great deal of sympathy for them, and would agree with you. However this has been going for 15 years or thereabouts and my sympathy has been exhausted.

I have been told many times before he (Fenty) is impossible to work with, hence everything hitting brick walls, and there does seem to be some truth in that.

Even when all the ducks seem to be in a row things never get pushed forward; a new stadium may be the ideal scenario but I just cannot see it happening under Fenty; the big decision is when to accept it isn't going to happen and start investing in the club as it stands.

If we are to stay at BP for the next 20 years then clever solutions to its various problems can be found.

Something is going on regarding the ground in the background and that`s obvious.I can only speculate but the Clubs silence suggests ANOTHER might announce something shortly. That could be any number of things but my best guess and I would have a bet on this is the Council will push the Club to take land off Freemo and they will get involved as a partner with a view to building a Community Stadium.The PP if it was viable and attractive would have sailed through and the building would have started already.Something stopped it and the lack of noise suggests to me at least something else has been offered up but this is not for public ears yet? Like I say pure speculation on my part I don`t know anything but would love for getyourfactsright to shoot this down in flames or Sonik to give a shake of the head.C`mon I dare you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Something is going on regarding the ground in the background and that`s obvious.I can only speculate but the Clubs silence suggests ANOTHER might announce something shortly. That could be any number of things but my best guess and I would have a bet on this is the Council will push the Club to take land off Freemo and they will get involved as a partner with a view to building a Community Stadium.The PP if it was viable and attractive would have sailed through and the building would have started already.Something stopped it and the lack of noise suggests to me at least something else has been offered up but this is not for public ears yet? Like I say pure speculation on my part I don`t know anything but would love for getyourfactsright to shoot this down in flames or Sonik to give a shake of the head.C`mon I dare you

I certainly heard that the PP side of the equation is looking dead in the water as there is something like a £15m shortfall.

Maybe the council will partner the club in building a new ground on the East Marsh but it is not  going to be alongside an enabling development
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

hm explain to me then the countless feasibility studies which I believe where council driven but the football club had to pay a small fortune to get completed. I mean why would the Club pay for and explore these sites unless they wanted to play ball with the Council? Football fans aside it just shows what we get for our money when in 30 years a suitable site can`t be found to build a stadium.Blundell Park was built and has staged football and numerous events for over 100 years serving 100s of thousands of locals and visitors alike sadly it`s had it`s day.It is bordering on contempt the lack of help in delivering a new modern facility to serve the next 100 years.The best they have come up with barring the leisure centre fiasco was the white elephant at meridian point SHAMBOLIC no way can GTFC be held accountable for council red tape.

I think the clue about the quality of the feasability studies is in the great expense it cost the club. Other people with far more knowledge than I have, have questioned the criteria of these studies.

We've tried to put 2 grounds where they were always going to receive huge opposition, that's not the councils fault. It needs to be built as part of regenerating the town. Others have said the enabling development does not have to be attached to the ground.
Councils are shite, but I think there is a bigger problem here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 1:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
One more thing to add to my conspiracy theory ADF anyone seen him spouting lately and who was it who brought up Freemo second time around? Not one usually associated with keeping quiet I expect he will be on the front of the telewag soon enough giving it the v for victory and telling us all the Club should have listened to him years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker

I think the clue about the quality of the feasability studies is in the great expense it cost the club. Other people with far more knowledge than I have, have questioned the criteria of these studies.

We've tried to put 2 grounds where they were always going to receive huge opposition, that's not the councils fault. It needs to be built as part of regenerating the town. Others have said the enabling development does not have to be attached to the ground.
Councils are shite, but I think there is a bigger problem here.

I distinctly remember hearing or reading at the time of Great Coates that it was the BEST available site at that time.I mean come on it annoyed me to the degree if a sites deemed the best available it should breeze through any planning application through the council cos they are the girl privates who rubber stamped the site in the first place.For this to happen twice GTFC should be taking legal action. I live right on PP and would put up with any thing just to see the ground built.In my opinion is it the best available site NO. However two costly feasibility studies later it was deemed by parties including the Council that this was indeed the best place.The Football Club Fenty and all are many things but they are not to blame for this shambles.30 flipping YEARS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 1:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I distinctly remember hearing or reading at the time of Great Coates that it was the BEST available site at that time.I mean come on it annoyed me to the degree if a sites deemed the best available it should breeze through any planning application through the council cos they are the girl privates who rubber stamped the site in the first place.For this to happen twice GTFC should be taking legal action. I live right on PP and would put up with any thing just to see the ground built.In my opinion is it the best available site NO. However two costly feasibility studies later it was deemed by parties including the Council that this was indeed the best place.The Football Club Fenty and all are many things but they are not to blame for this shambles.30 flipping YEARS

It might well be the best site but it is down to the club to get the financial package together and they have, perhaps understandably failed to deliver this
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

It might well be the best site but it is down to the club to get the financial package together and they have, perhaps understandably failed to deliver this

In the present climate housing aside not a lot you can do to bring in finances I mean retail is now going more and more online.There are huge chunks of money available in grants for regeneration PP probably would not have qualified for any of this but Freemo/Docks will. I know one thing any new plans that get submitted should include a Traveller camp save a fortune on any roadwork and planning permission would sail through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
TAGG
February 13, 2018, 1:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
If Fenty want to win the fans back.......

He should leave the club and take his loans with him.....

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
grimsby pete
February 13, 2018, 2:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
As a big thank you to the fans for sticking with the club under Slade's poor management ,

For the next home game against Exeter the following prices will be,

1,  £10 ADULT ADMISSION

2.   £5 OAP

3.  £1  KIDS

4. One free drink to all fans.

5. Voucher for  £5 to be spent in club shop.

That's the least you deserve for having to watch such crap this season.

My thoughts might not be the same as the boards, unless you hear different.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
golfer
February 13, 2018, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Spot on. The mans not made of money and it is obvious that he can't keep putting money in.The club owes him £2million plus so if there is any chance of him getting it back he is not going anywhere-would you? If the new ground falls through 100% and there is no other way that he will get his money back then I think for his love of the club he will write his loans off and walk as long as a suitable replacement comes along. While the new ground is still in the pipeline he is going nowhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
friskneymariner
February 13, 2018, 4:37pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Joint council venture with the club to redevelop area round Freeman Street ,use Carrow Road as example.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2018, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from friskneymariner
Joint council venture with the club to redevelop area round Freeman Street ,use Carrow Road as example.

Agree to an extent as in it's a good set-up. The difference being the relative attraction & wealth in the Norwich area.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
barrattstandman
February 13, 2018, 4:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
Has JF , the Council , or the developers actually said PP is dead ?  Only people on here , because it’s gone very quiet . There may be a reason for this probably it may be announced that it is going ahead leaving it too late for the local nimbys to stop it. Hopefully this is the case for we can’t go back to square one again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
horsforthmariner
February 13, 2018, 4:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Whats the point of moving from Blundell Park if were going to end up in the East Marsh? All the problems associated with where we are at present will be exactly the same if we end up on Freeman Street.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
Shilts
February 13, 2018, 4:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +121
Agreed. For a lot less cost we could put in one or two new stands at BP. And still have the site and history.

Why can't not enabling development aid this?

"Nothing says party like a retro Ciba Geigy Town shirt bobbing away on an inflatable flamingo."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
friskneymariner
February 13, 2018, 5:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Could apply for E.E.C. funding................Oh wait a minute.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
Vance Warner
February 13, 2018, 5:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Whats the point of moving from Blundell Park if were going to end up in the East Marsh? All the problems associated with where we are at present will be exactly the same if we end up on Freeman Street.

Can't see that I'm afraid. Better public transport, car parking in town centre, modern facilities, opportunity to increase non matchday income and gentrify the area. A community stadium in the heart of the community would be far more beneficial to the town as a whole. The days of out of town grounds are numbered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
golfer
February 13, 2018, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker

You wouldn't get the balls back that went over the stand-they'd be in Cash Converters before the game was over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2018, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,880
Gold Stars: 82
Can’t see the stadium happening  every hurdle under the sun to navigate from moaning residents to nesting newts a divisive council and the biggest one no real money , now if we want a skateboard park different story ...... starting to think maybe a new stand or 2 at bp might be the only real hope
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
rancido
February 13, 2018, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Shilts
Agreed. For a lot less cost we could put in one or two new stands at BP. And still have the site and history.

Why can't not enabling development aid this?

But that would depend on the council granting planning permission, which is highly unlikely. The council at the time when a new ground was first mentioned stated they would rather the club moved than develop BP.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
friskneymariner
February 13, 2018, 5:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Can anyone explain to me how moving to P.P. benefits anyone but those who own the land,a Community Development has to be within the Community.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
horsforthmariner
February 13, 2018, 6:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Can't see that I'm afraid. Better public transport, car parking in town centre, modern facilities, opportunity to increase non matchday income and gentrify the area. A community stadium in the heart of the community would be far more beneficial to the town as a whole. The days of out of town grounds are numbered.

The whole point is to encourage extra non-matchday revenue - who's going to want to hold  their wedding reception in the East Marsh? Itll still be a ball ache to get to and everyone will park in the streets around the ground just like they do at the moment. Im a bit doubtful about better public tranpsort - I suspect the club would have to pay a packet to upgrade the Docks station.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 6:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner

The whole point is to encourage extra non-matchday revenue - who's going to want to hold  their wedding reception in the East Marsh? Itll still be a ball ache to get to and everyone will park in the streets around the ground just like they do at the moment. Im a bit doubtful about better public tranpsort - I suspect the club would have to pay a packet to upgrade the Docks station.

The idea is that if you regenerate the area, people will want to come to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
barralad
February 13, 2018, 6:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Can anyone explain to me how moving to P.P. benefits anyone but those who own the land,a Community Development has to be within the Community.

P.P. is slap bang in the middle of the community that is North East Lincs.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker

It's a mile from the Town Hall, closer than BP is for 75% of current season ticket holders for starters!
I thought the Council own the land?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2018, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm trying to work out how or why anyone thinks there's anything other than PP on the table. That said, Extreme and our board have gone very quiet.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
ginnywings
February 13, 2018, 7:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy

It's a mile from the Town Hall, closer than BP is for 75% of current season ticket holders for starters!
I thought the Council own the land?

They do, and are releasing it cheap, which is the attraction for developers. Land with planning permission on is very desirable and the council have the land and the power to grant said permission.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 7:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

They do, and are releasing it cheap, which is the attraction for developers. Land with planning permission on is very desirable and the council have the land and the power to grant said permission.

Who owns the land that the houses will be built on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
ginnywings
February 13, 2018, 7:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Who owns the land that the houses will be built on?

The council own it all on PP. Even if the developers built some of the houses away from PP, land is cheap until planning permission is granted, then the price rockets. So the council hold all the aces here in terms of the land and the permissions to build. If they sell the land to a developer with permission to build at a tempting price, developers will want in. The developers will make money from the houses they build. The council get new housing stock and income from council tax and other ancillaries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
golfer
February 13, 2018, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Thought J.S.F. son in laws family own it like they own the building land. at Tetney Golf Course.-might be wrong as usual -tell me if I am Please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
ginnywings
February 13, 2018, 7:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/proposed_football_stadium_peaks

Link to someone who requested the information from the council and it clearly shows that it is public land. I still think it's a good spot for a ground myself. I often go walking on the footpaths through PP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2018, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Thought J.S.F. son in laws family own it like they own the building land. at Tetney Golf Course.-might be wrong as usual -tell me if I am Please.

Don't think so - think they own some the other side of the Parkway.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
Saudimariner
February 13, 2018, 7:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304

"If you build it, they will come".......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
golfer
February 13, 2018, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't think so - think they own some the other side of the Parkway.

Yes, but it said the building land for houses  didn't have to be on the site adjacent to the stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
horsforthmariner
February 13, 2018, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker

It will take a bit more than a football stadium!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2018, 8:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Appoint an MD who is not part of his inner cabal and has experience in "the football business" give this person full control of the month by month stuff and drift into the background and become a "foreign owner" type person who just concentrates on getting external investment and even a new ground.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2018, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete

You working on a takeover one the quiet Pete? So that explains why Fenty blocked you  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2018, 11:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

I certainly heard that the PP side of the equation is looking dead in the water as there is something like a £15m shortfall.

Maybe the council will partner the club in building a new ground on the East Marsh but it is not  going to be alongside an enabling development

It wouldn't surprise me. I've been saying for years where is the money for a £20-odd million stadium coming from and have never been convinced by claims that a share of the profit on a thousand houses was going to pay for it. Not in GY anyway.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
grimsby pete
February 14, 2018, 6:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from grimsby pete
As a big thank you to the fans for sticking with the club under Slade's poor management ,

For the next home game against Exeter the following prices will be,

1,  £10 ADULT ADMISSION

2.   £5 OAP

3.  £1  KIDS

4. One free drink to all fans.

5. Voucher for  £5 to be spent in club shop.

That's the least you deserve for having to watch such crap this season.

Well the club have been listening not as much as above,

BUT

A very good deal for everybody , well done I hope we have a 5,000+ crowd  + 120 away

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
lukeo
February 14, 2018, 6:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,362
Gold Stars: 143
Haven't been able to get online since Saturday so haven't had chance to look through 100s of threads.. But for me, Fenty has to go for what he thinks is the BEST person for the job suitable, not best value. Let's not go cheapest
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
rancido
February 14, 2018, 7:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
[quote=4013]

The whole point is to encourage extra non-matchday revenue - who's going to want to hold  their wedding reception in the East Marsh? Itll still be a ball ache to get to and everyone will park in the streets around the ground just like they do at the moment. Im a bit doubtful about better public tranpsort - I suspect the club would have to pay a packet to upgrade the Docks station.[/quote]

I keep seeing the position of Docks Station as being one of the advantages of having the new ground in the Freeman Street Docks area. This is a complete fallacy as the only train that stops there is the Barton Train. As far as I know Docks Station is not a stop for either the Lincoln or Manchester trains. If this station was to be accommodated in these services then the whole timing schedule would have to be altered for these trains and that is something the rail service providers would  not do.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Fenty want to win the fans back.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.