Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Fenty want to win the fans back.......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

If Fenty want to win the fans back.......

This thread currently has 6,556 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from promotion plaice

Top and bottom is.......we need a new stadium that would strengthen our financial future and write off Mr Fenty's loan.

Then hopefully we can more than compete financially with our rivals and enjoy some good times again with or without JF.

This obviously assumes we hang on to our league status.

In the modern game though realistically where do GTFC sit and how far can they go? I think League 1 is a realistic target but forays into the Championship will be few and far between and certainly not very likely whilst were based at BP.If and when the new ground comes along and assuming we can get it right on the pitch we should be aspiring to go past the likes of Scunny and Burton but all this is a long way off.All Mr Fenty can do is get away from fire fighting and deliver on his promise of a new ground.I don`t get how any Town fan can have a go at him about pursuit of a new ground it`s 100% a must have sure other things are equally as important and at times more pressing but long term that ground is key.The bloke gets my sympathy having to try and get a ground built with the worst Council on the land putting up obstacles.A near 30 year spat over a suitable site it`s horse pish the council should 100% tell GTFC these are the sites available pick one and build it. I would stick a lot of money on the ground getting built within 10 years but I can equally stick a lot of money on it being Freemo/Flats area rather than PP? This is only my personal opinion it could be miles wide of the mark but the drawn out process and deafening silence on PP suggests something as cropped up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2018, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He won't win the fans back, he could, but he won't.

Potter won't come, any suggestion he will is crazy.

This is the nub of it. He could do all sorts of things. He could make a fresh start with new initiatives on and off the field. He could invest some of his money and make us a force again, by employing top people in all the important roles. He could make a decision on the new stadium and either bin the idea or make improvements at the BP, which will have to happen if he cannot deliver the new stadium.

He could apologise for all that has gone on before, he could admit that most of it has been an absolute disaster, and accept he is not nearly as capable as he imagines, and would work much more in tandem with people with more knowledge and ideas.

Of course all this is a fantasy, because he won't do any of it. Make do and mend is the motto, and so it will continue until he goes. I am hoping for the best manager we can get, because the only thing worth supporting at GTFC is the actual team. If we get on field success then of course the heat will be taken off the non chairman, but only till the cycle starts again.

The most irritating thing for me is that he is lucky to have a substantial amount of money; he is the top man at a well respected football league club, but doesn't seem to want to take it forward in any meaningful way apart from hope for some footballing fortune.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 11:51am
Special Brew Drinker

This is the nub of it. He could do all sorts of things. He could make a fresh start with new initiatives on and off the field. He could invest some of his money and make us a force again, by employing top people in all the important roles. He could make a decision on the new stadium and either bin the idea or make improvements at the BP, which will have to happen if he cannot deliver the new stadium.

He could apologise for all that has gone on before, he could admit that most of it has been an absolute disaster, and accept he is not nearly as capable as he imagines, and would work much more in tandem with people with more knowledge and ideas.

Of course all this is a fantasy, because he won't do any of it. Make do and mend is the motto, and so it will continue until he goes. I am hoping for the best manager we can get, because the only thing worth supporting at GTFC is the actual team. If we get on field success then of course the heat will be taken off the non chairman, but only till the cycle starts again.

The most irritating thing for me is that he is lucky to have a substantial amount of money; he is the top man at a well respected football league club, but doesn't seem to want to take it forward in any meaningful way apart from hope for some footballing fortune.

I`m loathe to defend him but what can he do in terms of taking it forward without a new ground? Nobody will invest in BP BUT they might invest in GTFC if they have said stadium I can`t see what he can do barring bits and pieces to pacify the likes of you and I who are caning him for his past errors?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I`m loathe to defend him but what can he do in terms of taking it forward without a new ground? Nobody will invest in BP BUT they might invest in GTFC if they have said stadium I can`t see what he can do barring bits and pieces to pacify the likes of you and I who are caning him for his past errors?

He could take a back seat in running the club and employ someone with proper PR skills. I am convinced that it wouldnt take a lot for a professional to get the crowds behind the club. This in turn would increase income.

He wont do this because he essentially owns the club and therefore believes he has to have full control ( even controls the heating in the offices from his house!). I think he would be surprised what a new broom could do for him although I expect he would find fault because he doesnt recognise anyone could improve on the job he is doing/has done. That is the issue.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 1mickylyons

There is no interest from the club in being involved in the regeneration of the Town. I think it's fairly clear from the studies that the focus is not what is best for the club and the Town, but what is best for individuals.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 12:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

There is no interest from the club in being involved in the regeneration of the Town. I think it's fairly clear from the studies that the focus is not what is best for the club and the Town, but what is best for individuals.  

hm explain to me then the countless feasibility studies which I believe where council driven but the football club had to pay a small fortune to get completed. I mean why would the Club pay for and explore these sites unless they wanted to play ball with the Council? Football fans aside it just shows what we get for our money when in 30 years a suitable site can`t be found to build a stadium.Blundell Park was built and has staged football and numerous events for over 100 years serving 100s of thousands of locals and visitors alike sadly it`s had it`s day.It is bordering on contempt the lack of help in delivering a new modern facility to serve the next 100 years.The best they have come up with barring the leisure centre fiasco was the white elephant at meridian point SHAMBOLIC no way can GTFC be held accountable for council red tape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2018, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think if it was any other individual Micky I would have a great deal of sympathy for them, and would agree with you. However this has been going for 15 years or thereabouts and my sympathy has been exhausted.

I have been told many times before he (Fenty) is impossible to work with, hence everything hitting brick walls, and there does seem to be some truth in that.

Even when all the ducks seem to be in a row things never get pushed forward; a new stadium may be the ideal scenario but I just cannot see it happening under Fenty; the big decision is when to accept it isn't going to happen and start investing in the club as it stands.

If we are to stay at BP for the next 20 years then clever solutions to its various problems can be found.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
1mickylyons
February 13, 2018, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker

I think if it was any other individual Micky I would have a great deal of sympathy for them, and would agree with you. However this has been going for 15 years or thereabouts and my sympathy has been exhausted.

I have been told many times before he (Fenty) is impossible to work with, hence everything hitting brick walls, and there does seem to be some truth in that.

Even when all the ducks seem to be in a row things never get pushed forward; a new stadium may be the ideal scenario but I just cannot see it happening under Fenty; the big decision is when to accept it isn't going to happen and start investing in the club as it stands.

If we are to stay at BP for the next 20 years then clever solutions to its various problems can be found.

Something is going on regarding the ground in the background and that`s obvious.I can only speculate but the Clubs silence suggests ANOTHER might announce something shortly. That could be any number of things but my best guess and I would have a bet on this is the Council will push the Club to take land off Freemo and they will get involved as a partner with a view to building a Community Stadium.The PP if it was viable and attractive would have sailed through and the building would have started already.Something stopped it and the lack of noise suggests to me at least something else has been offered up but this is not for public ears yet? Like I say pure speculation on my part I don`t know anything but would love for getyourfactsright to shoot this down in flames or Sonik to give a shake of the head.C`mon I dare you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
Cloudy
February 13, 2018, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Something is going on regarding the ground in the background and that`s obvious.I can only speculate but the Clubs silence suggests ANOTHER might announce something shortly. That could be any number of things but my best guess and I would have a bet on this is the Council will push the Club to take land off Freemo and they will get involved as a partner with a view to building a Community Stadium.The PP if it was viable and attractive would have sailed through and the building would have started already.Something stopped it and the lack of noise suggests to me at least something else has been offered up but this is not for public ears yet? Like I say pure speculation on my part I don`t know anything but would love for getyourfactsright to shoot this down in flames or Sonik to give a shake of the head.C`mon I dare you

I certainly heard that the PP side of the equation is looking dead in the water as there is something like a £15m shortfall.

Maybe the council will partner the club in building a new ground on the East Marsh but it is not  going to be alongside an enabling development
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 1mickylyons

hm explain to me then the countless feasibility studies which I believe where council driven but the football club had to pay a small fortune to get completed. I mean why would the Club pay for and explore these sites unless they wanted to play ball with the Council? Football fans aside it just shows what we get for our money when in 30 years a suitable site can`t be found to build a stadium.Blundell Park was built and has staged football and numerous events for over 100 years serving 100s of thousands of locals and visitors alike sadly it`s had it`s day.It is bordering on contempt the lack of help in delivering a new modern facility to serve the next 100 years.The best they have come up with barring the leisure centre fiasco was the white elephant at meridian point SHAMBOLIC no way can GTFC be held accountable for council red tape.

I think the clue about the quality of the feasability studies is in the great expense it cost the club. Other people with far more knowledge than I have, have questioned the criteria of these studies.

We've tried to put 2 grounds where they were always going to receive huge opposition, that's not the councils fault. It needs to be built as part of regenerating the town. Others have said the enabling development does not have to be attached to the ground.
Councils are shite, but I think there is a bigger problem here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Fenty want to win the fans back.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.