Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › There's a John Fenty interview!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

There's a John Fenty interview!

This thread currently has 6,781 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
February 13, 2018, 7:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

Good post. Lincoln are in the fortunate position, for now, of having a owner who is willing and able to put money into the club. He also recognised the potential of the Cowley brothers but to be fair to the GTFC board they also recognised the potential of Scott and Hurst. Even though that partnership didn't work out they did persevere with Hurst and he did get us back into Division 2. The big difference between the clubs then became obvious. Lincoln gave the Cowley brothers a long contract and money to spend on decent players. The board of Grimsby Town would't give Hurst  a better contract or more money to bring in decent players.

So what the club should have done is given Hurst a 5 year contract despite a fairly large portion of the fans trying to drive him out for the last few years of his tenure. Can you imagine the uproar if that had happened? It's all well and good in hindsight saying that Hurst was brilliant, but it was only after he got us promoted that he got a bit of a break and by that time the damage was already done. And it's only after the job he's done at Shrewsbury that people have overwhelmingly decided he is a good manager.

And apparently we should have spent more money, which would mean increasing the benign loans that everybody is so against. You can't moan at a lack of 'investment' on one hand and then moan that benign loans hold the club back on the other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Swansea_Mariner
February 13, 2018, 7:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Good interview, I agree with him on the rolling contract, limits the club's exposure and can't see it putting any serious candidate off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 8:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pen penfras

So what the club should have done is given Hurst a 5 year contract despite a fairly large portion of the fans trying to drive him out for the last few years of his tenure. Can you imagine the uproar if that had happened? It's all well and good in hindsight saying that Hurst was brilliant, but it was only after he got us promoted that he got a bit of a break and by that time the damage was already done. And it's only after the job he's done at Shrewsbury that people have overwhelmingly decided he is a good manager.

And apparently we should have spent more money, which would mean increasing the benign loans that everybody is so against. You can't moan at a lack of 'investment' on one hand and then moan that benign loans hold the club back on the other.

You do know the directors don't have to loan the club money. They can just donate funds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
TheRealJohnLewis
February 13, 2018, 8:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
It sounded to me that Wilko is JF 1st choice, which I wouldn't be averse to, as long as there's a distinct difference in the way the team is set up.  i.e. actually creating chances and trying to play football.

Come the summer we have only a few contracted players, which means any new manager can sign the players he wants.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2018, 8:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Wilko doesn’t fill me with confidence but I’ll back him on the pretence that it was slades tactics and line ups every week. We will see quickly if that was case on Saturday very very quickly and if we get the new managers bounce or is same same old
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Maringer
February 13, 2018, 9:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from headingly_mariner

You do know the directors don't have to loan the club money. They can just donate funds.

No expert on company law but I'd be surprised if directors were allowed to just give money to a PLC. I'm assuming that GTFC is a PLC, of course!

I'd imagine the only way to put money in would be by loans or share purchases.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2018, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Maringer

No expert on company law but I'd be surprised if directors were allowed to just give money to a PLC. I'm assuming that GTFC is a PLC, of course!

Well we’ve just paid slade wages for doing intercourse all except destroy our club that should have been illegal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
headingly_mariner
February 13, 2018, 9:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Maringer

It was fine for the mullens to put into op promotion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Maringer
February 13, 2018, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I'd imagine that the Mullens' contributions just counted as part of the O.P. crowdfunding process so not directly giving money to the club themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
RonMariner
February 13, 2018, 10:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
I see nothing wrong with a six month rolling contract. If the manager is confident of succeeding it would not be a barrier to joining the club. Of course, everyone knows that Boards of Directors tend to be a bit trigger happy when things are not going well.  But at the end of the day the manger has to get results. the buck stops with them.

Once a manager has proved themselves, that would be the time to talk about two or three year deals.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › There's a John Fenty interview!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.