promotion plaice
February 13, 2018, 10:40am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from grimsby pete
Always Scunny for me,

I do remember when  town player's could not get in our team always ended up at Scunny or Boston,

Although there was a time that us and them along with Lincoln all played in what is now the championship at the same time,

Some good derby's with good crowds,

Ah !!!  those were the days.

Seems like an age ago now when we signed Scunnys top scorer Kev Kilmore for a club record Β£60,000

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: β€œWhose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Marinerz93
February 13, 2018, 11:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Who are our top rivals historically would people say and why?

1 Hull  ( Still the top rival historically even though not played each other for year`s and I can only think a relic of the fishing and Humberside era`s? )
2 Scunny ( The recent sell out FA Cup game and sold out away end for the replay told you we still have an intense dislike for this close neighbour )
3 Lincoln ( Used to be like Hull are now we hadn`t played them for years but seemed to be joined at the hip last 10 years which has increased the rivalry )
4 Barnsley ( Top of the Yorkshire Derby contingent for me in so much as we played them H&A for years usually a game with goals )
5 FGR/Cheltenham  ( New kids on the block but another two sides Town fans love to hate from our recent history )

Odd one out
Stoke City ( Probably for all the wrong reasons this is a fixture that off the pitch seems to have no problem filling the ground especially at home)

I would have to agree with 1mickylyons on this but previously I would have said Lincoln than Scunny in 2nd place until I was told about how much they loved it when we got relegated and how bitter they were towards us. At first I didn't understand why then someone told me that all our cast off's went there when they were no good for us and our support could out sing them regardless of how good we were in the league. Also a lot of the Scumthorpe ladies would go to Cleethorpes on a night out to get impregnated as to increase the gene pool at that one horse town, were everything stops when the traffic lights turn to red.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2018, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I suppose it's been so long (bar the FA Cup game, what 4 or 5 years ago when we played them?) that we've played Scunny, and even longer for Hull, that the 'local' rival is now Lincoln.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
lukeo
February 15, 2018, 8:12am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,364
Gold Stars: 143
29 years old and I'd say I dislike Scunthorpe but no one else really. Would love to say our biggest rivals are the Sheffield clubs but we've fallen from grace for too long now for Me to call them rivals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
PrestwichMariner
February 15, 2018, 8:26am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Has to be the 2 Sheffield teams for me - those were the days!!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
TAGG
February 15, 2018, 8:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Barnsley, Sheffield Wed & Rotherham in days gone by.
Imp coach always over booked for these games πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘ŠπŸ‘ŠπŸ‘ŠπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
malkamalka
February 15, 2018, 8:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Still remember Graham Rathbone and Duncan Welbourne getting 8 week bans for holding a boxing match in the centre circle.

Now it appears that Town players would rather fight each other than opponents!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
Running like emson
February 16, 2018, 8:50am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 8
Portsmouth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rivals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.