This thread currently has 4,619 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
d3d4
February 12, 2018, 1:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +40
Interesting that Robbie Stockdale has shot up this morning to become the new favourite to take over...I doubt there is anything in that other than he is an ex-player but a young up and coming manager could be the way to go.

[url]http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/grimsby-town[/url]

John Askey of Macclesfield is at 10/1 and Phil Brown is being mentioned by many people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
mariner91
February 12, 2018, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 1mickylyons

An opinion though it could be argued his sacking was the start of the current decline? Buckley made one huge mistake in his final tenure Martin Butler that illegitimate cost a legend and thoroughly decent football man his job through selfishly signing and then stabbing AB in the back.

He also signed Heywood, Hope, Llewellyn and Heslop in 2008. And before that Jamie Clarke and Nathan Jarman. So yes it was the start of the decline but not for the reason you're suggesting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
AndyDarloFC
February 12, 2018, 2:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Wouldn’t be surprised if the Salford managers declare their interest.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 31
RichMariner
February 12, 2018, 2:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Buckley chooses our next manager.

It's simply been suggested that he has lots of experience in football - something no one on the GTFC board has, remember - and he can help their selection process.

Buckley might now be out of touch, but we don't need him for his knowledge of people. We need him for some very well-grounded knowledge in what skills managers truly need to be successful - and how our board should be able to spot it.

Anything must be worth a shot to avoid being in this exact situation again in October 2018.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
realist
February 12, 2018, 6:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Experience of things a long time ago. Hasnt Buckley3 and Slade 2 been enough looking in the past for you ? It was the old managers that have been the cause of  our problems. Move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Mikey_345
February 12, 2018, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,354
Gold Stars: 100
No brainer for me, why would you not want to hear from somebody with that much experience and knowledge. Both at this club and around the game in general.

He would provide some much valued and useful input in my opinion.

One things for certain he knows a damn sight more about football than some on the board!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2018, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Wouldn’t be surprised if the Salford managers declare their interest.

From what I have seen from Class of 92 that would be like putting 2 Rob Scott’s in charge! Would certainly be an interesting pair but given the club they are at, the money behind them and being top of the league think they will stay put.

I am sure there is much more to these guys then the “shouty/aggressive” style we see on tv otherwise you would not continue to be successful.

On paper would rather have your old Manager now at York, seems a well trodden path from York to Grimsby so who knows. As I said another thread there are so many options and candidates it is a pretty competitive market and never envy the Board as “hindsight” pretty much always suggests they got it wrong even if it’s a couple of seasons after the event.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
AndyDarloFC
February 12, 2018, 7:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
On paper would rather have your old Manager now at York, seems a well trodden path from York to Grimsby so who knows. As I said another thread there are so many options and candidates it is a pretty competitive market and never envy the Board as “hindsight” pretty much always suggests they got it wrong even if it’s a couple of seasons after the event.

Martin Gray is someone you don't want. All about the £££ and if you don't have it, he'll throw a tantrum.

You's can do so much better than the likes of that slimy girl private.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 31
heppy88
February 12, 2018, 9:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Why not tap into the knowledge Buckley has? As others have already mentioned he far more experience than any of the board. But to be honest having someone with far more experience and and is not afraid to speak his mind are not the traits Mr Fenty will warm to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
arryarryarry
February 13, 2018, 1:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Tommy
People say Buckley shouldn't be considered for the Manager's job because he is out of touch with the modern game and has been out of it for too long.

So why would he be well placed to make informed judgements over a new manager?

Whenever I hear him on the radio he has no idea of who opposition players are or any knowledge of teams other than ourselves, so I don't see him being knowledgable on potential manager's anyway.

Whilst not advocating AB for any role, let's not forget that due to his many jobs RS must have known plenty of players, all games are available to all managers to watch and revue and we had an analyst to film all the games and that did didly squat for us.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bring Back Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.