6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 14, 2018, 12:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
No Vernam in the squad at all Maringer??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
Maringer
February 14, 2018, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Heh. Completely forgot about him! Still not quite over the nasty bug which knocked me off my feet for a few days over the weekend.

OK, Wilks onto the bench, Jackson up alongside Matt with Vernam playing in the 'hole'. I'd probably drop Dembele from the bench for Wilks considering his recent poor form and apparent back problems.

We'd then at least have a relatively young, lively and athletic bench to select from, if nothing else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
ginnywings
February 14, 2018, 12:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Heh. Completely forgot about him! Still not quite over the nasty bug which knocked me off my feet for a few days over the weekend.

OK, Wilks onto the bench, Jackson up alongside Matt with Vernam playing in the 'hole'. I'd probably drop Dembele from the bench for Wilks considering his recent poor form and apparent back problems.

We'd then at least have a relatively young, lively and athletic bench to select from, if nothing else.

If you're bug is anything like mine, it may be back with a vengeance. Second time it was worse. Didn't feel right for a month.

Think you may be right about Dembele. Looks like being a full time pro has caught up with him a bit to me. It happens with a lot of young players that burst onto the scene and they go off the boil for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
Jarmo.Is.God
February 14, 2018, 12:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Maringer
McAllister wasn't match fit before the last game of the season against Plymouth and he had a blinder in that one. I'd be willing to give him a go, especially as part of a midfield 3. Assuming Clifton would be on the bench as an option when any of the midfielders run out of steam or pick up knocks.

Not sure about injuries - is Davies injured at present? If not, I'd have him in at left-back where he's done OK.

I'd probably go with the following, injuries permitting:

Killip
Mills Osborne Clarke Davies
Summerfield Berrett McAllister
          Jackson Wilks
                 Matt

Subs: Suliman, Hall-Johnson, Jaiyesimi, Dembele, Vernon, Clifton, Warrington

As much a 4-5-1 as a 4-3-3, admittedly, but Wilks adds in some pace (and Jackson and Matt are no slouches) with the options of Jaiyesimi and Dembele to potentially add attacking threat off the bench. I think Jackson and Wilks have the movement to get into some decent positions from slightly withdrawn roles. If Dembele isn't fit enough for the bench, stick Kelly in there. You never know - every dog has it's day.

For me, Davies did a great job at left back.
Remember its his weak side, yet kept out actual left back out the team.
His experience is priceless IMO.

I'm not so sure about that formation, and would give Suliman ago ahead of Osborne
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
Maringer
February 14, 2018, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

If your bug is anything like mine, it may be back with a vengeance. Second time it was worse. Didn't feel right for a month.

Well, that's given me something to look forward to! I know my wife's Uncle took weeks to shake it off but I'm a couple of decades younger so will hopefully avoid a relapse! Lots of bugs going around and I'm hoping mine wasn't one of the bad ones.

As for footy, I reckon becoming 'battle-hardened' must be tough for young players making their breakthroughs, especially when they are so slight such as Dembele and take some heavy whacks. No surprise he played his best football when the pitches weren't as heavy and it was warmer during the earlier part of the season.Hopefully, he'll come back into it during the last couple of months of the season as things dry up. Would perhaps be worth resting him entirely for a couple of weeks to see if he can get his back right. I'd personally not have played him at all over the past month or two given his poor form but wonder if Slade was so desperate for things to improve that he couldn't be seen to be resting him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
Maringer
February 14, 2018, 12:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I'm not so sure about that formation, and would give Suliman ago ahead of Osborne

I think that would be an enormous risk. Suliman doesn't look to be the strongest of players and Ikpeazu is a really big unit to deal with. I'd have thought Osborne would be the perfect choice to play against him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
Jarmo.Is.God
February 14, 2018, 12:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I think that would be an enormous risk. Suliman doesn't look to be the strongest of players and Ikpeazu is a really big unit to deal with. I'd have thought Osborne would be the perfect choice to play against him.

That's why i'm not a manager, wasn't thinking of the opponent, and you make a very valid point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
Jarmo.Is.God
February 15, 2018, 12:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Anyway, i would change it up, as it's obvious it hasn't veen right.

Killip
Hall-Johnson Clarke Osborne Mills
Dembele Summerfield Mccalister Wilks
                    Vernam Jackson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team v Cambridge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.