Played for Grimsby ✓
Top flight experience ✓
England U-21 ✓
Worked under Howard Kendall ✓
Grimsby coach ✓
Reserve team success ✓
Knows the players ✓
Next GTFC Manager?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
promotion plaice
February 11, 2018, 4:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I thought he was from Louth  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
jimgtfc
February 11, 2018, 4:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
Yep let’s get behind him and the lads!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
pontoonlew
February 11, 2018, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Personally I don't want anybody who has had any part in this sham of a few months being made the next manager.

That said, he will have my full support until a new manager comes in or he somehow proves he can take the club forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
GrimRob
February 11, 2018, 4:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jimgtfc
Yep let’s get behind him and the lads!

Yep, proper Army at Cambridge, not a few stragglers!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 4 - 68
Marinerz93
February 11, 2018, 4:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

Correct

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 68
jonnyboy82
February 11, 2018, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Wilko out.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
grimsby pete
February 11, 2018, 5:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I will be at Cambridge supporting Paul and the team,

Lets get behind him and give him a chance,

For all we know Paul might have offered a lot of advice to Slade and he chose to ignore it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
AdamHaddock
February 11, 2018, 5:03pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
I support PW during his caretaker spell but will be horrified if the club even consider making it permanent

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 5:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Sometimes the solution is right under your nose. We cannot tar him with the same brush as Slade, because ultimately, the final decisions are the managers to make. It's not like Slade brought Wilko with him and perhaps, the hope was that Wilko would take over one day anyway. Think it may be too early for him now, but while he is in charge, he has a clean slate and will get my backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
Perkins
February 11, 2018, 5:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from promotion plaice

Grimboldby actually. 4 miles from Louth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 5:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob
Born in Grimsby ✓
Brought up in Grimsby ✓
Played for Grimsby ✓
Top flight experience ✓
England U-21 ✓
Worked under Howard Kendall ✓
Grimsby coach ✓
Reserve team success ✓
Knows the players ✓
Next GTFC Manager?

And warms up the defenders before a game when the strikers can't hit a cows backside with a banjo, no chance!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
February 11, 2018, 5:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Sometimes the solution is right under your nose. We cannot tar him with the same brush as Slade, because ultimately, the final decisions are the managers to make. It's not like Slade brought Wilko with him and perhaps, the hope was that Wilko would take over one day anyway. Think it may be too early for him now, but while he is in charge, he has a clean slate and will get my backing.

Starts with a clean slate for me too. None of us can know the precise nature of their (Slade & Wilko) working relationship.

Can't really do much worse (!), and it'll be interesting to see the side he sends out at Cambridge.
Reply: 12 - 68
GrimRob
February 11, 2018, 5:26pm

He's always got the excuse that he was just following orders. Maybe, just maybe, he can get something from this group of players? Whoever comes has got to work with them, and Wilko knows them inside out. Don't forget Hurst blossomed once the other RS was removed.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 13 - 68
Abdul19
February 11, 2018, 5:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from GrimRob
Don't forget Hurst blossomed once the other RS was removed.

To be fair to the much maligned gobshite, we finished in the same position in his last season here as we did in 15/16.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
Grantham_Mariner
February 11, 2018, 5:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Perkins

In the village, or on the outskirts ?    

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
davmariner
February 11, 2018, 5:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Wilkinson should have been sacked aswell.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
monkeyboy
February 11, 2018, 6:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from davmariner
Wilkinson should have been sacked aswell.

Dont think your right tbh, he was not the decision maker nor did he have any influence on precedings. he wasnt slades man and im told they had a dislike for each other.

Give him a chance, wont be instant but we will improve, but saying that cant get any worse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
chaos33
February 11, 2018, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I would have sacked him too. Comes across as inarticulate and hardly with it and I can't see how he has stamped his influence on the current set up in any positive way. I don't see any reason to think he can turn us around but we'll see. I sincerely hope we are going all out for a new manager.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
February 11, 2018, 6:40pm
Guest User
I have tried to listen / watch his interviews on IFollow but I haven't been able to get through any of them. May be unfair but he doesn't seem to have any charisma at all.

Slade and Wilkinson were forced together, Slade didn't appoint him as part of his team so we don't really know what his ideas are on how the game should be played. I don't want to see any more of this excrement we've been served up all season long, it isn't the Grimsby way, let's see what Wilko's ideas are and take it from there. I'm looking forward to his first interview, let's see if I can get through it without nodding off. I'll try and keep an open mind but he is tainted already, character is important in football, let's hope Paul's comes through as I haven't seen anything as yet.
Reply: 19 - 68
blackandwhitelaces
February 11, 2018, 6:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
In my opinion Wilko deserves a chance purely because of that goal he scored against Everton I will never forget it simplistic I know but that’s me

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
February 11, 2018, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from 75
I have tried to listen / watch his interviews on IFollow but I haven't been able to get through any of them. May be unfair but he doesn't seem to have any charisma at all.

Neither did Hurst  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
scrumble
February 11, 2018, 6:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Since when did the ability to give a good interview directly relate to ability to manage a football team?

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
LH
February 11, 2018, 6:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from blackandwhitelaces
In my opinion Wilko deserves a chance purely because of that goal he scored against Everton I will never forget it simplistic I know but that’s me

Get Jevons and Kalala in the backroom staff and then one day we might actually win a cup game.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2018, 6:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hmmm.Tough one. Plus point, if true, he wasn't Slade's man. Negative, what's he been doing the last year?

Again, if it's true that Slade didn't pick him, what the intercourse was Fenty doing picking a key member of the manager's staff?! If Slade did pick him, you've got to wonder why he didn't go as well. Typical balls up either way.

Come Saturday I'll be cheering the team on. Suspect a lot of people will be there making a loud noise in relief if not in belief. I think the roof will be lifted if we score.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
gary_elton
February 11, 2018, 6:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 75
I'm looking forward to his first interview, let's see if I can get through it without nodding off.

Won't someone  first have to wake you up before it starts though  ? 😎

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
February 11, 2018, 6:52pm
Guest User

Neither did Hurst  

I was aware of that when I typed it!
Reply: 26 - 68
RoboCod
February 11, 2018, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Got to give him a chance, I'd say 3 or 4 games will give us an idea of what he can do with the team. Just hope he keeps it all simple, Slades big problem was that he over complicated everything, yet appeared quite scatter-brained with it.
Not remembering how many loanees we had...well Wilko can surely count so he's up on him there. Despite his rather drab interviews Wilko came out of the Matt Dean savaging unscathed (and looked embarrassed by it)  so at least we have a manager who is (hopefully) starting afresh with Radio Humbs.

I'm hopeful that he can at least get us playing functional and even rather average football, as long as it puts points on the board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
February 11, 2018, 6:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from scrumble
Since when did the ability to give a good interview directly relate to ability to manage a football team?

Always IMO. Communication skills are vital. You have to be able to motivate your players, to get your ideas and philosophy over to your players. If you can't articulate your thoughts, the players won't know their jobs and it all goes wrong. It doesn't matter if you are the greatest tactician in the world, if you can't get that information to your players verbally and clearly then you can't succeed.
Reply: 28 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
February 11, 2018, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 75

Always IMO. Communication skills are vital. You have to be able to motivate your players, to get your ideas and philosophy over to your players. If you can't articulate your thoughts, the players won't know their jobs and it all goes wrong. It doesn't matter if you are the greatest tactician in the world, if you can't get that information to your players verbally and clearly then you can't succeed.

I agree Vicar, I played and coached under a great coach for about 6/7 years and he was a great coach, new his stuff from top to bottom, lived for the sport could tell you stats from the 1980s off the top of his head, would send you coaching books, send you new drill to do or help you work out what ever problem you had. However when it came to inspiring the players or giving instruction or encouragement or a bollocking. You could see them each one by one slowly switching off, he would shout when he didn't need to or would be quiet when he needed to shout.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
February 11, 2018, 7:21pm
Guest User

I agree Vicar, I played and coached under a great coach for about 6/7 years and he was a great coach, new his stuff from top to bottom, lived for the sport could tell you stats from the 1980s off the top of his head, would send you coaching books, send you new drill to do or help you work out what ever problem you had. However when it came to inspiring the players or giving instruction or encouragement or a bollocking. You could see them each one by one slowly switching off, he would shout when he didn't need to or would be quiet when he needed to shout.

It's a hard thing to do, although you can work on it I think leadership of that kind is a natural talent. I used to run a football team, much out of necessity and I struggled to stand up in front of a load of blokes and articulate my ideas. I tend to work well in small groups, I can lead on the pitch (or I could when I played) but I too found it difficult to put my arm round one player, whilst bollocking another although I am okay at working out how different lads would respond to different methods. I remember asking one lad to track back more and he burst into tears! It's no slight on anyone who struggles, we all have our talents.

Look at the wally with the brolly Steve Maclaren, generally thought of as a brilliant coach yet as a manager apart from brief spells he's been a disaster. Several other examples out there, Steve Clarke, Paul Clements.
Reply: 30 - 68
moosey_club
February 11, 2018, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

Clearly they hope Wilko can scrape a few wins, secure our position which will keep him in the job for this season and avoid having to appoint a new man.  

We need an experienced manager IMO , Wilko isnt...never held a management post as far as i am aware.  

Cheap option ??  Bold gamble ?? Intuitive masterstroke ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Cambs Mariner
February 11, 2018, 7:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
[quote=32]what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

Clearly they hope Wilko can scrape a few wins, secure our position which will keep him in the job for this season and avoid having to appoint a new man.  

We need an experienced manager IMO , Wilko isnt...never held a management post as far as i am aware.  

We will know the answer after the next 3 or 4 games. Hopefully it is the latter.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
February 11, 2018, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 75

It's a hard thing to do, although you can work on it I think leadership of that kind is a natural talent. I used to run a football team, much out of necessity and I struggled to stand up in front of a load of blokes and articulate my ideas. I tend to work well in small groups, I can lead on the pitch (or I could when I played) but I too found it difficult to put my arm round one player, whilst bollocking another although I am okay at working out how different lads would respond to different methods. I remember asking one lad to track back more and he burst into tears! It's no slight on anyone who struggles, we all have our talents.

Look at the wally with the brolly Steve Maclaren, generally thought of as a brilliant coach yet as a manager apart from brief spells he's been a disaster. Several other examples out there, Steve Clarke, Paul Clements.

I'm exactly the same I've had a go as the commander in chief and it was too soon for me (OK I was 22 at the time I started down that road), I'm much better at the small group bit and identifying who needs a bollocking and who just needs a calming word

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
Posh Harry
February 11, 2018, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Well I hope his man management, coaching and motivational skills are better than his judgement of a player, as if rumours are true, he’s the one who recommended Kelly and Hooper.

🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
grimsby pete
February 11, 2018, 8:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I support PW during his caretaker spell but will be horrified if the club even consider making it permanent

Even if we win every game ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
RonMariner
February 11, 2018, 8:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
Be interesting to see what difference he can make on Saturday.

I will reserve judgement until we have seen a couple of games.

But bottom line is that he is untried as a manager and we are dangerously close to the relegation zone. I'd feel happier with an experienced hand at the helm, but hey, if we win the next two, Wilko might stake a claim? He has an opportunity, Let's see what he makes of it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
Brisbane Mariner
February 11, 2018, 8:21pm

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Be good to see Paul have a go, I went to school with him albeit a couple of years behind, but in Holton Le Clay he was a hero to us younger kids as he was playing for Town colts he also had the best bike - a purple Raleigh chopper with 5 speed and self painted black and white brake and gear cables - why i remember that god knows but that was Paul, then when I went to Toll bar for a year I think Paul was 4th year or 5th year but already heading to great things.

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 68
promotion plaice
February 11, 2018, 8:37pm

Lets hope Wilko can put a few of our opponents to the sword now  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2018, 8:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Perkins

For a start it’s grimoldby , not grimboldby so getyourfactsright.
Secondly he’s been part of this fooking shambles so even though I’m Louth I’d boot him as far away from BP as possible . A 90th minute winner at Everton 35 years ago doesn’t buy you immunity.

Oh and take Sam Kelly with you ...

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
Caveman
February 11, 2018, 8:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Brisbane M.

So that's why you fled to Australia.

You nicked Wilko's bike !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
promotion plaice
February 11, 2018, 8:46pm

Quoted from Caveman
Brisbane M.

So that's why you fled to Australia.

You nicked Wilko's bike !

Allegedly  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2018, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

That seems to suggest the decision to pull the trigger then was driven by Slade's availability.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 8:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
It won't be Wilco and if it is I'm giving up.

This is possibly the most important appointment we have ever made in modern times, we must not drop back to the Abyss.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
Grim74
February 11, 2018, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Wilkinson is a town legend he deserves his chance I really hope he succeeds, and as for being dour well he can't be any more dour than Hurst and it didn't do him any harm.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
February 11, 2018, 9:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

I think the board, John in particular genuinely believed in Russell, I think they had a good working relationship. I suppose it would be commendable to show that level of trust but it's been obvious for several weeks he had lost the fans, never mind the players and his position was unrecoverable and untenable. In my opinion they waited too long before firing him, but it's probably easier to judge from afar. That or I am a bit naive.
Reply: 45 - 68
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
It was always a risk reappointing Slade. The risk never paid off and to my mind, they should never have taken it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
cod_head_doug
February 11, 2018, 9:41pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
Looking purely short term, Paul Wilkinson will know what he has to work with. As we only have 13 matches to preserve our league status it makes sense to me to see if he can breathe new life into our attack. If I were in charge, I would have the attacking players on overtime until we started hitting the back of the net regularly again. It will be interesting to see how the players respond to him. Good luck Paul, we need you to succeed.

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2018, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
It was always a risk reappointing Slade. The risk never paid off and to my mind, they should never have taken it.

Wonderful thing is hindsight - not that I don't agree by the way - we've got 13 important games and, for that reason only, I would go with experience.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
forza ivano
February 11, 2018, 9:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
The obvious choice is Phil brown, who I suspect is still based fairly local.
However my other team Aylesbury United had won just 3 in 22, sacked Glynn creaser ,appointed his coach as full time manager (having failed to win a game as Caretaker) who has now taken 13 points out of 21 and is a complete breath of fresh air, despite most of us wanting a ' new broom'
Think it's obvious that slade n wilko were forced together so,let's give him a chance.he certainly can't do any worse as were going down anyway ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74
Wilkinson is a town legend he deserves his chance I really hope he succeeds, and as for being dour well he can't be any more dour than Hurst and it didn't do him any harm.

Why does he?. read the statement we're recruiting a new manager, he may get a couple of games but that should be it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
Grimbiggs
February 11, 2018, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Personally just give Wilko it till the end of the season, as poor as this squad is, unless we're as bad in the last 13 games as we were in the previous 12, we should just about stay up. That gives us plenty of time to get the right man in place for June, and with most of those out of contract (apart from maybe 1 or 2) being released anyway, the new manager will then be more or less in a position to build his own team. The most important thing, apart from staying in the league, is to make sure we get the right man to take the club forward this time....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
RichMariner
February 12, 2018, 12:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I have no inside info but it's my opinion that Wilkinson is nothing like Slade. I'm expecting him to have the team playing a different way once he's had a bit of time to impart is thinking on them.

We might get glimpses of it at Cambridge.

I certainly have no problems him taking caretaker charge. He's been in football forever so knows his stuff. We just have to trust him now anyway.

My belief is that he was brought in by Fenty to 'soften' the return of Slade. I don't think they were alike, but as an assistant you can't be pulling in the opposite direction.

Tar him with the same brush if you like, but I hope he takes this opportunity to show that his footballing philosophies are a far cry from Slade's.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
Will Haddock
February 12, 2018, 2:00am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -32
Wilko is a very good coach, and was a great goal scorer - deserves his chance, and our support.

What about him and Macca as a new duo?

<*((((((><  
<*((((((><  
<*((((((><  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
GrimRob
February 12, 2018, 6:56am

[tweet]962941990819319808[/tweet]

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 54 - 68
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 8:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
I hope the fans get behind Wilko he was a legend as a player he`s one of our own by birth and I don`t think this squad is as bad as people make out. I think this appointment is a month too late if we still had Jones to pick in midfield alongside Summerfield we might have had some humph and goals but I think Wilko will give some youngsters a game and get some legs in the team.At least with the crowd behind them they might get a win or two WE WANT GOALS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
moosey_club
February 12, 2018, 8:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 75

I think the board, John in particular genuinely believed in Russell, I think they had a good working relationship. I suppose it would be commendable to show that level of trust but it's been obvious for several weeks  never mind the players and his position was unrecoverable and untenable. In my opinion they waited too long before firing him, but it's probably easier to judge from afar. That or I am a bit naive.

His friendship has clearly interfered with the decision to keep him on longer than he should have.....in the Fenty tapes he said something about do you think i am happy backing someone who is performing so badly.....that comment demonstrated fuzzy thinking.....anyone else would have been gone.
The quotes i posted on another thread, pre sacking, highlighting all the remits Slade has already long missed again shows blind loyalty IMO. Sanctioning the transfer activity...ridiculous.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
MarinerMal
February 12, 2018, 8:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Good luck to Paul, I hope we have some better football on view at BP.

My concern is though, the Squad of players Slade has left behind is terrible and unbalanced. Overloaded with Attackers, not much in the middle of the park, an aging defence and more loan players than we can actually play.

We are 9 points clear of the drop currently but most below us have 2 games in hand with some showing signs of recovery.

I think we need a new manger asap as I think leaving PW in charge until the end of the season, someone with no managerial experience in the middle of a relegation fight (make no mistake we are in a relegation fight) reminds me a little too much of when we gave Woods the job.

Who? I haven't really looked yet who is available. I would like to see a manager play a little more attacking football rather than just hit and hope but he'll have to do it with the squad RS has left behind and is that squad capable of playing like that?

Pleased RS is gone but we are still in a mess and I just hope we can find 3 or 4 wins between now and the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 9:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Clifton must come into the side now for his passing if nowt else?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
Grantham_Mariner
February 12, 2018, 9:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
I think that the reason that Paul Wilkinson was not sacked alongside Slade is that it must be common knowledge that Slade did not take a lot of notice of what Wilkinson suggested both in training and on the pitch. I hope this will be apparent on Saturday when we see his team and how they are set up.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
davmariner
February 12, 2018, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Clifton must come into the side now for his passing if nowt else?

Let’s face it, he couldn’t do any worse than the CMs we’ve been playing in the last few months.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Let’s face it, he couldn’t do any worse than the CMs we’ve been playing in the last few months.

I agree and kind of hope he proves that point.Not sure who or what we have left in midfield but Clifton and Summerfield should pick themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
Tommy
February 12, 2018, 10:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
A lot of guesswork going on here leading to some strong conclusions.

Many saying Wilkinson should have been sacked and some annoyed/angry that he hasn't. Stating that he's as much to blame for the current situation as Slade. Well, what are you basing that on? It's the manager that decides the tactics, team selection, topics/themes for training and player recruitment. Even when the Manager bounces ideas off the Assistant, it is the Manager's call every time. If the two of them don't agree on something, the Manager will go with his way.

I see many berating PW for us signing Sam Kelly and Hooper.
Well, for starters, other than PW having been at a Club with them before, does anyone actually know he recommended them? No. Maybe he did, but we don't know that.
Let's assume he did. Again, it's the Manager's call to sign them and his responsibility of whether to go off someones recommendation or see them himself. With Hooper, blaming PW is ridiculous because he was on trial with us for a few weeks so Slade signed him based on his trial. Besides, I haven't formed too much of a judgement on Hooper anyway seeing as he's hardly played and at least managed to score a couple of goals.

For all we know, PW could've been influential in bringing in Jaiyesimi who there's an ex-club link with. And most of us would probably agree DJ should've been in the team a lot more than he has this season. So let's look at positive influences as well as negatives, not just cherry pick bits to suit either argument.

Managers never have 100% success with signings anyway. No-one. Alex Ferguson signed some right dross for ManUre over the years (Djemba Djemba, Bellion, Bebe, Taibi etc etc) and he's considered one of the best.

Point is hard to judge someone on what they'd be like as a boss, and be so sure of it as some seem to be, based on a previous role where despite all of his input it would've been someone elses call on the final decisions.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2018, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
The Town Web Site says he's in temporary charge until a manager is recruited. Looking at our current situation I doubt even JF would gamble on giving him to the end off the season.

Yes a big name in the history of GTFC but I would not want our hard earned league status gambled on Wilco.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
GollyGTFC
February 12, 2018, 11:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
I think that the reason that Paul Wilkinson was not sacked alongside Slade is that it must be common knowledge that Slade did not take a lot of notice of what Wilkinson suggested both in training and on the pitch. I hope this will be apparent on Saturday when we see his team and how they are set up.

Did he not? 6 of our signings under the bald one were known to Paul Wilkinson and had worked with him before either at Norwich (Kean, Killip, Hall-Johnson, Jaiyesimi & Kelly) or Northampton (Hooper). That's more signings than who had played for the former-PE teacher- 2 (Clarke & Vernam).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 68
cannylad68
February 12, 2018, 11:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Is Wilkie prepared to play up front?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
GollyGTFC
February 12, 2018, 12:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The Town Web Site says he's in temporary charge until a manager is recruited. Looking at our current situation I doubt even JF would gamble on giving him to the end off the season.

Yes a big name in the history of GTFC but I would not want our hard earned league status gambled on Wilco.

It's not a gamble. We could appoint somebody at any point. However if we win on Saturday the threat of being dragged into the relegation dog fight decreases. Another couple of wins and it's virtually gone.

The more points Wilko get us (and the more quickly that happens) the more time we have to appoint a permanent successor.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 68
gaz57
February 12, 2018, 12:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Did he not? 6 of our signings under the bald one were known to Paul Wilkinson and had worked with him before either at Norwich (Kean, Killip, Hall-Johnson, Jaiyesimi & Kelly) or Northampton (Hooper). That's more signings than who had played for the former-PE teacher- 2 (Clarke & Vernam).

Yes but were they playing Sladeball at there previous clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 68
Teestogreen
February 12, 2018, 1:59pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Looking at this from the perimeter - it appears that Russell Slade was in place to eliminate the Marcus Bignot signings and select the team.

Paul Wilkinson was in place to coach the players.

Now that Russell's first assignment has been completed, and the second one (selecting the team) did not go very well - then Russell's stint was complete.

Paul Wilkinson is now in place to get some results to the end of the season.

The wild card here is Dave Moore --- now Dave has seen some comings and goings at this club there is no doubt - and every time he has been called upon to step up to running the team - he has been excellent.

I believe, if these 2 have a common bond - through years past - they can work successfully together (with the player resources they have) and see us to the points necessary to secure Football League status.

After that ............

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.