Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 335 Guests

Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army

This thread currently has 9,228 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Caveman
February 11, 2018, 8:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Brisbane M.

So that's why you fled to Australia.

You nicked Wilko's bike !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
promotion plaice
February 11, 2018, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Caveman
Brisbane M.

So that's why you fled to Australia.

You nicked Wilko's bike !

Allegedly  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2018, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

Clearly they hope Wilko can scrape a few wins, secure our position which will keep him in the job for this season and avoid having to appoint a new man.  

We need an experienced manager IMO , Wilko isnt...never held a management post as far as i am aware.  

Cheap option ??  Bold gamble ?? Intuitive masterstroke ??

That seems to suggest the decision to pull the trigger then was driven by Slade's availability.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 8:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
It won't be Wilco and if it is I'm giving up.

This is possibly the most important appointment we have ever made in modern times, we must not drop back to the Abyss.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
Grim74
February 11, 2018, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Wilkinson is a town legend he deserves his chance I really hope he succeeds, and as for being dour well he can't be any more dour than Hurst and it didn't do him any harm.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
February 11, 2018, 9:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

I think the board, John in particular genuinely believed in Russell, I think they had a good working relationship. I suppose it would be commendable to show that level of trust but it's been obvious for several weeks he had lost the fans, never mind the players and his position was unrecoverable and untenable. In my opinion they waited too long before firing him, but it's probably easier to judge from afar. That or I am a bit naive.
Reply: 45 - 68
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
It was always a risk reappointing Slade. The risk never paid off and to my mind, they should never have taken it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
cod_head_doug
February 11, 2018, 9:41pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
Looking purely short term, Paul Wilkinson will know what he has to work with. As we only have 13 matches to preserve our league status it makes sense to me to see if he can breathe new life into our attack. If I were in charge, I would have the attacking players on overtime until we started hitting the back of the net regularly again. It will be interesting to see how the players respond to him. Good luck Paul, we need you to succeed.

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2018, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
It was always a risk reappointing Slade. The risk never paid off and to my mind, they should never have taken it.

Wonderful thing is hindsight - not that I don't agree by the way - we've got 13 important games and, for that reason only, I would go with experience.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
forza ivano
February 11, 2018, 9:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,142
Gold Stars: 265
The obvious choice is Phil brown, who I suspect is still based fairly local.
However my other team Aylesbury United had won just 3 in 22, sacked Glynn creaser ,appointed his coach as full time manager (having failed to win a game as Caretaker) who has now taken 13 points out of 21 and is a complete breath of fresh air, despite most of us wanting a ' new broom'
Think it's obvious that slade n wilko were forced together so,let's give him a chance.he certainly can't do any worse as were going down anyway ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.