Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army

This thread currently has 9,269 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
February 11, 2018, 7:21pm
Guest User

I agree Vicar, I played and coached under a great coach for about 6/7 years and he was a great coach, new his stuff from top to bottom, lived for the sport could tell you stats from the 1980s off the top of his head, would send you coaching books, send you new drill to do or help you work out what ever problem you had. However when it came to inspiring the players or giving instruction or encouragement or a bollocking. You could see them each one by one slowly switching off, he would shout when he didn't need to or would be quiet when he needed to shout.

It's a hard thing to do, although you can work on it I think leadership of that kind is a natural talent. I used to run a football team, much out of necessity and I struggled to stand up in front of a load of blokes and articulate my ideas. I tend to work well in small groups, I can lead on the pitch (or I could when I played) but I too found it difficult to put my arm round one player, whilst bollocking another although I am okay at working out how different lads would respond to different methods. I remember asking one lad to track back more and he burst into tears! It's no slight on anyone who struggles, we all have our talents.

Look at the wally with the brolly Steve Maclaren, generally thought of as a brilliant coach yet as a manager apart from brief spells he's been a disaster. Several other examples out there, Steve Clarke, Paul Clements.
Reply: 30 - 68
moosey_club
February 11, 2018, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

Clearly they hope Wilko can scrape a few wins, secure our position which will keep him in the job for this season and avoid having to appoint a new man.  

We need an experienced manager IMO , Wilko isnt...never held a management post as far as i am aware.  

Cheap option ??  Bold gamble ?? Intuitive masterstroke ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Cambs Mariner
February 11, 2018, 7:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
[quote=32]what worries me is that when Bignot was relatively quickly identified as not being good enough Slade was instantly in position ..... Slade has been struggling since December and now we will take our time, not rush....have the board really had their eyes that firmly shut they couldnt see a replacement would be needed and done some homework already ?

Clearly they hope Wilko can scrape a few wins, secure our position which will keep him in the job for this season and avoid having to appoint a new man.  

We need an experienced manager IMO , Wilko isnt...never held a management post as far as i am aware.  

Cheap option ??  Bold gamble ?? Intuitive masterstroke ??

We will know the answer after the next 3 or 4 games. Hopefully it is the latter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
February 11, 2018, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 75

It's a hard thing to do, although you can work on it I think leadership of that kind is a natural talent. I used to run a football team, much out of necessity and I struggled to stand up in front of a load of blokes and articulate my ideas. I tend to work well in small groups, I can lead on the pitch (or I could when I played) but I too found it difficult to put my arm round one player, whilst bollocking another although I am okay at working out how different lads would respond to different methods. I remember asking one lad to track back more and he burst into tears! It's no slight on anyone who struggles, we all have our talents.

Look at the wally with the brolly Steve Maclaren, generally thought of as a brilliant coach yet as a manager apart from brief spells he's been a disaster. Several other examples out there, Steve Clarke, Paul Clements.

I'm exactly the same I've had a go as the commander in chief and it was too soon for me (OK I was 22 at the time I started down that road), I'm much better at the small group bit and identifying who needs a bollocking and who just needs a calming word

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
Posh Harry
February 11, 2018, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Well I hope his man management, coaching and motivational skills are better than his judgement of a player, as if rumours are true, he’s the one who recommended Kelly and Hooper.

🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
grimsby pete
February 11, 2018, 8:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I support PW during his caretaker spell but will be horrified if the club even consider making it permanent

Even if we win every game ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
RonMariner
February 11, 2018, 8:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
Be interesting to see what difference he can make on Saturday.

I will reserve judgement until we have seen a couple of games.

But bottom line is that he is untried as a manager and we are dangerously close to the relegation zone. I'd feel happier with an experienced hand at the helm, but hey, if we win the next two, Wilko might stake a claim? He has an opportunity, Let's see what he makes of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
Brisbane Mariner
February 11, 2018, 8:21pm

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Be good to see Paul have a go, I went to school with him albeit a couple of years behind, but in Holton Le Clay he was a hero to us younger kids as he was playing for Town colts he also had the best bike - a purple Raleigh chopper with 5 speed and self painted black and white brake and gear cables - why i remember that god knows but that was Paul, then when I went to Toll bar for a year I think Paul was 4th year or 5th year but already heading to great things.

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 68
promotion plaice
February 11, 2018, 8:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

Lets hope Wilko can put a few of our opponents to the sword now  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2018, 8:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Perkins

Grimboldby actually. 4 miles from Louth.

For a start it’s grimoldby , not grimboldby so getyourfactsright.
Secondly he’s been part of this fooking shambles so even though I’m Louth I’d boot him as far away from BP as possible . A 90th minute winner at Everton 35 years ago doesn’t buy you immunity.

Oh and take Sam Kelly with you ...

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Wilkinson's Black and White Army

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.