2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Superdan147
February 11, 2018, 12:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Firstly, i just cant see Slade being sacked BUT, if John Fenty did the right thing and sacked him, then in my opinion i think our very own Ben Davies would be my choice.

He ticks MOST of the boxes that need ticking and his credentials are notable. Hes had a decent 20 year career in football, and worked under some good managers in his time, Sven Goran Erikkson, Nigel Clough, Paul Cook and Paul Hurst to name just a few. All managers who have had good success in their careers. Surely as a player, you MUST learn a great deal from them. He knows our current situation and he knows our players so wouldnt need the time(which we don't have) that someone from the outside would need to assess the players. Davies is someone who is also keen to go into management/coaching and im pretty sure he is doing/done his coaching badges so there is a desire there which is also important. In his playing career hes shown his leadership qualities by being named captain at several clubs and by all accounts a well respected pro, again another plus.

Another obvious plus is that hes already in the building so it isn't going to take a fee to take him from another club and it isn't another wage. there clearly isn't any money available and would be even less if slade was paid off. Its something that has to be taken into account.

Im sure some would argue that he hasnt got the managerial experience and they would be right. However, I would argue that eddie howe also had none when Bournemouth looked destined for the conference in 2010 and how did that turn out again. Id also argue that our current manager Russell Slade has 800 games under his belt and just remind me how thats going. Quite simply, there are clubs up and down the country who are appointing 'young, inexperienced' managers. many are working, many haven't. But id rather our club appoint someone who is young and hungry than someone on the managerial merry-go-round with numerous failures on their CV.

Davies could also bring a more experienced man in his corner any how if he felt he wanted that, whether that be a former coach/manager hes worked with at a previous club, or  one of the coaches we currently dave moore/warrington/wilko so for me, there would be the experience many desire.

Many names are being thrown about on social media, but most are very unrealistic. the ones most would want (warburton, mccall, askey) just wouldn't come. Our situation is terrible and they wouldn't even have the ability to bring players in now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
DocDock
February 11, 2018, 12:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Not for me. I think the last thing we need is someone with no managerial experience coming in at such a crucial time. Plus we’ve had player managers before, to mixed and somewhat limited success.

The only realistic options for me would be for Dave Moore to take the reigns on a temporary basis, until a more permanent, experienced manager is available. The ones that are available don’t exactly inspire me with confidence though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
jimgtfc
February 11, 2018, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
I completely agree as long as he wants to go into management. People talk about up and coming managers all the time, why do they have to come from another club? I think I’m right in saying he lives locally and his family are settled in the area. Give him the job, help him with his coaching badges and maybe we might just unearth a gem from within.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2018, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Dave Moore with Ben Davies both passionate with experience if we go out the league it will be with a fight unlike what’s happening now and what happened before with woods
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
sam gy
February 11, 2018, 12:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
I know he has got his coaching badges, not sure what level, mind.

I was sat near his family in the main stand earlier in the season. They said he’s too nice to go into management . Guess they would think that though!

Lovely bunch!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,649
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from DocDock
Not for me. I think the last thing we need is someone with no managerial experience coming in at such a crucial time. Plus we’ve had player managers before, to mixed and somewhat limited success.

The only realistic options for me would be for Dave Moore to take the reigns on a temporary basis, until a more permanent, experienced manager is available. The ones that are available don’t exactly inspire me with confidence though.

Mike Flynn is doing well at Newport, I think he came up through the ranks about this time last year when they where in the same predicament. He does the coaching and team stuff and it looks like Lawrence does the General Manager bit.

Why would Dave Moore be "realistic" Town through and through for sure but I am not even sure he has a coaching qualification. I would get it if Davis packed up playing and took on the role of coach and Dave took the reigns until the end of the season at least.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
DocDock
February 11, 2018, 1:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Mike Flynn is doing well at Newport, I think he came up through the ranks about this time last year when they where in the same predicament. He does the coaching and team stuff and it looks like Lawrence does the General Manager bit.

Why would Dave Moore be "realistic" Town through and through for sure but I am not even sure he has a coaching qualification. I would get it if Davis packed up playing and took on the role of coach and Dave took the reigns until the end of the season at least.  

He’s realistic in so much he’s taken over on a temporary basis in the past when the ship needed steadying and if going by his previous temporary reign he would have no intentions of taking the job full time. From a financial standpoint it’d make sense too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 1:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
It's the sort of thing that works at other clubs. Would probably be a disaster here. Everything we do usually is and it's more deeply rooted than managerial level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Tommy
February 11, 2018, 2:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
For me, now is not the time to be gambling on someone with no managing or even coaching experience.

I know every appointment is a gamble to some extent but you should have an idea of what you're likely go get with someone of some level of experience. Some "first manager's job" appointments work and others don't. But in our position I'd really rather we didn't take such a gamble. Especially with someone who as far as I know hasn't actually coached, let alone Managed.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
jimgtfc
February 11, 2018, 3:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Tommy
For me, now is not the time to be gambling on someone with no managing or even coaching experience.

I know every appointment is a gamble to some extent but you should have an idea of what you're likely go get with someone of some level of experience. Some "first manager's job" appointments work and others don't. But in our position I'd really rather we didn't take such a gamble. Especially with someone who as far as I know hasn't actually coached, let alone Managed.

I get what you’re saying Tommy but is this really such a bad situation for a manager to take on from their perspective? We’ve got 13 games left, despite our dismal form we’re not the favourites for relegation neither are we in the drop zone. We could be saved by 3 wins and a couple of draws, that’s a win percentage of less than 30% needed. And if we were ‘saved’ by a new gaffer he would be adored. Surely any change would spark the team little into some form, and can you imagine the positive reaction it would bring from the fans? Slade is so hated, that I think his departure could put a thousand on the next home gate. It could be a bit of a free hit for an incoming manager who would then be set up for next season.

Personally I’d rather see someone like Ben get the job (again, provided he wants it) than another Slade type appointment of someone with supposed experience. I really think the fans could get behind him.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.