7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
February 11, 2018, 11:43am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
An up and coming manager. See if we can poach Ebbsfleet's McMahon, either now or in the summer. Recent promotion on his CV

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2018, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,655
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from 75
The trouble is managers talk to each other, as do players. I understand we do not have a good reputation in the footballing world as the club is run by clowns with no foresight, who expect miracles without the groundwork. Paul Daniels would have been my choice, even in death he is probably a better choice than most of the above.

If pressed, I would suggest Phil Brown but I am not sure he is attainable. I would want us to go outside of the club for the backroom staff as well, a complete sweep of the management team. A fresh outlook and stop the short term 'fixes', he should be a footballing manager as that is how we like our football at Grimsby, we should be looking to sign players under 25 years old with a view to the future, a mix of experience amongst mostly youth. Look to released players from the Championship and Premier League and hungry players from the National league and below.

I don't know for sure but I bet your first paragraph is spot on. Obviously all the football people talk to each other all the time and the word will have gone round that we are in a total mess from top to bottom.

i suppose the only positive is that the only way is up, and if we could attract somebody who relishes a challenge...
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
quote=3362]

I don't know for sure but I bet your first paragraph is spot on. Obviously all the football people talk to each other all the time and the word will have gone round that we are in a total mess from top to bottom.

i suppose the only positive is that the only way is up, and if we could attract somebody who relishes a challenge... [/quote]

I agree re BP Vicars first paragraph. I'll ask it again why would someone even from the NL come to us? All we can hope for is an "old lag" who has no transferable skills outside of football and just drifts from ob to job before taking up a scouting role "for a mate" in the game............ wait a minute maybe we have one on that pathway currently?

If he goes and it's a big if the advert should read,

WANTED -Miracle worker

Successful applicant must be able to demonstrate experience in parting seas, turning water into wine, feeding thousands with a few loaves and fishes and most importantly raising the dead.

Ladies & gents to stop us going down we need divine intervention.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Cloudy
February 11, 2018, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Kevin Davies- probably too early but seems the type of bloke who had lots of experience at all levels and wasn't afraid to take his first managers job in non league. One to watch perhaps.

I wouldn't rule out a first time manager, sometimes total commitment and enthusiasm is infectious rather than someone who has been sacked and part of the merrygoround.

EVERY manager is a risk
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
Grimal
February 11, 2018, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
How about raiding Boston United again, Craig Elliott has done a marvelous job at York street since taking charge  on 12th November 2017, the team that were bottom of Conference North are now 11th place and just outside the playoffs.I've watched them a couple of times since he's taken charge and he's got the team playing some exciting stuff and the whole club is buzzing with expectation .Yesterday for example Town were trailing  3 nil by the 61st minute but pulled it back to 3-3 by end of match,surely down to change of tactics or inspired substitutions but either way down to management.

Below, taken from The Nonleague paper ----------
Craig Elliott has joined Boston United. His track record as a manager is second-to-none within the non-league system over the past few years, which has seen him take Shaw Lane to the top of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division with three promotions in four seasons.
"Not only has he been successful, but has been consistently successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2018, 12:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Alfie

What a load of crap. A team that won’t take a lot to stay up, big history, great fan base, huge potential to grow and not much scope to go downwards. Decent budget with loads of options to rebuild in the summer. It’s a really attractive job for a load of folk.

In theory this should be the case. But look at us now? Why do you think that is? Why have we failed to capitalise on that fanbase and history? The same reason would deter some serious candidates.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
chaos33
February 11, 2018, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
McCall or Brown would be very positive appointments if they'd do it.

It's a bit hard to stomach people demanding Slade be sacked and then moaning that nobody decent will do it and it's bound to turn out sh1t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Grimal
How about raiding Boston United again, Craig Elliott has done a marvelous job at York street since taking charge  on 12th November 2017, the team that were bottom of Conference North are now 11th place and just outside the playoffs.I've watched them a couple of times since he's taken charge and he's got the team playing some exciting stuff and the whole club is buzzing with expectation .Yesterday for example Town were trailing  3 nil by the 61st minute but pulled it back to 3-3 by end of match,surely down to change of tactics or inspired substitutions but either way down to management.

Below, taken from The Nonleague paper ----------
Craig Elliott has joined Boston United. His track record as a manager is second-to-none within the non-league system over the past few years, which has seen him take Shaw Lane to the top of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division with three promotions in four seasons.
"Not only has he been successful, but has been consistently successful.

I get what your saying but expecting him to jump 2 divisions into a relegation dog fight and a sh1t storm off the pitch would be way too much.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2018, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Simon Grayson gone to Bradford.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
devs
February 11, 2018, 12:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Grayson just been appointed Bradford boss
Best we could hope for is a 'been around the block' journeyman or an up and coming non league manager
The latter would be ideal - we've had success and failure with that one

Cannot see a Sol Campbell southern-based type being remotely interested coming to a place like Grimsby

A Phil Brown sort is about the best we could hope for from the merry go round
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.