Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 213 Guests

Henry

This thread currently has 2,107 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
February 11, 2018, 8:58am
Guest User
Now let me tell you about Henry.
Henry is 16. I started taking him to watch Town at a young age, to0 young when we played Millwall he was a baby. He was fine until kick off, and the roar that accompanies the start set him off crying for the following 60 mins, I had to take him out. He was a bit older the next visit and we'd go to matches throughout the seasons. We went to all the Wembley games. Then when we got promoted we bought season tickets. He'd made me promise to buy season tickets if we got promoted. He put some of his money in to getting us promoted as I did for "Operation Promotion". We buy Town shirts so we can proudly wear them on holidays. We have all three strips this year.
Now Henry is disillusioned he doesn't want to watch Town, he works at weekends, usually on Sundays, but he is now working more Saturdays and when he is free he'd rather not go. His one game he has enjoyed was the Swindon game. He no longer wants a season ticket and I expect he'll rather have Drake, J Cole or Kendrick Lamar shirts.
He thinks Town are boring, uninspiring and he thinks the current players are the worst he's seen.
Now I may be dead tomorrow, but until that happens I'll keep going to watch Town.
My two elder sons still go to games. One picks his games, but he does work away.
My worry is Henry is the future support and would follow Town for another 40 years.
Slade has driven him away. It is destroying the legacy and it worries me for the future of our club.
Building for the future-6 or 7 loanees depending if you can count and 5 going back to parent clubs at the end of the season is not building for the future. He's not a quitter, well I disagree. he goes where the money is, this time there will be no Yeovil.
John Fenty please bring Henry back!!!  
ivanosandwich
February 11, 2018, 9:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from 140067
Now let me tell you about Henry.
Henry is 16. I started taking him to watch Town at a young age, to0 young when we played Millwall he was a baby. He was fine until kick off, and the roar that accompanies the start set him off crying for the following 60 mins, I had to take him out. He was a bit older the next visit and we'd go to matches throughout the seasons. We went to all the Wembley games. Then when we got promoted we bought season tickets. He'd made me promise to buy season tickets if we got promoted. He put some of his money in to getting us promoted as I did for "Operation Promotion". We buy Town shirts so we can proudly wear them on holidays. We have all three strips this year.
Now Henry is disillusioned he doesn't want to watch Town, he works at weekends, usually on Sundays, but he is now working more Saturdays and when he is free he'd rather not go. His one game he has enjoyed was the Swindon game. He no longer wants a season ticket and I expect he'll rather have Drake, J Cole or Kendrick Lamar shirts.
He thinks Town are boring, uninspiring and he thinks the current players are the worst he's seen.
Now I may be dead tomorrow, but until that happens I'll keep going to watch Town.
My two elder sons still go to games. One picks his games, but he does work away.
My worry is Henry is the future support and would follow Town for another 40 years.
Slade has driven him away. It is destroying the legacy and it worries me for the future of our club.
Building for the future-6 or 7 loanees depending if you can count and 5 going back to parent clubs at the end of the season is not building for the future. He's not a quitter, well I disagree. he goes where the money is, this time there will be no Yeovil.
John Fenty please bring Henry back!!!  

Don't give Slade any more ideas, we already have too many loan players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
dapperz fun pub
February 11, 2018, 9:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
This is a familiar pattern developing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
jimgtfc
February 11, 2018, 10:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,076
Gold Stars: 44
I was a Henry many years ago, being dragged to Blundell Park on a freezing cold Tuesday night at the age of 4 when I didn’t really know what it was all about. Thankfully in those days there were things to get excited about on the pitch and slowly but surely my attention was dragged from the ships on the Humber to the football being played.

Waking up on a Saturday morning was exciting, the match was the first thing I’d think about. I loved walking through the crowds down Grimsby Road with the thought of playing against the likes of Wolves, Man City and Leicester. Seeing players like Futch, McDermott, Birtles, Mendonca actually compete with them in front of 7 or 8 thousand. Football was exciting, Grimsby Town were exciting. I was hooked.

Do the youngsters today get that same buzz? Seeing a team full of loanees with only a handful of town appearances between them and no affinity for the town or club. Witnessing some of the worst football I’ve seen at any level. Watching us be torn apart at ease by teams with less than 100 traveling fans. Sitting in a cold, tired ground with no atmosphere, with fans pessimistic rather than optimistic. I can see an age gap in the supporters developing if things continue.

I was lucky to start watching town when I did, to the point where it’s got me for life now no matter what. Take a kid to watch town these days and that will be another football fan lost to Liverpool or United for good.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
chaos33
February 11, 2018, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
My son is called Henry and he's 5. He doesn't want to go now and I don't want him to.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Henryscat
February 11, 2018, 10:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
My lad is 8. Wears his town shirt to football training at school while all his mates have their united, city and occasional stockport county ones on.

Last season he would look at the fixture list and beg me to take him. This season after a few games doesn't even ask for the result anymore.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Azimuth
February 11, 2018, 10:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 60
I hear the NSPCC are patrolling the streets around BP for parents taking their kids to see the rubbish currently on offer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Grim74
February 11, 2018, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
My kids are only young but whenever they misbehave I threatened to take them back to the football, that soon sorts them out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Mallyner
February 11, 2018, 10:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
A sad story indeed. My Grandson in Perth, Australia has had Town kit for Christmas and birthdays for the past 4 years, but this Christmas and his birthday next week, he has asked for money.

While on the subject of Henry, what is my system below used for?

Beheaded, divorced, divorced, beheaded, beheaded, Beheaded.

Henry the 8th's wives? No Russell Slade's last clubs.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Marinerz93
February 11, 2018, 1:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I used to take my lad during the decline years and the hardest season to encourage him to go was the season we went down, he would argue that he didn't want to go and I would say to savour the good times you have to bear the bad times. He has told me recently that if Slade is here next season he isn't going to get a season ticket next season. Also he has missed the odd game this season which never happened before.

Thanks Fenty for nothing.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Henry

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.